15929Re: Lasix

  • Deena
    Mar 9, 2004
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan Aufieri
      <susanaufieri@v...> wrote: Has anybody had a cat that got diarehea
      (sp?) from Lasix? I'm trying to sort out if it was the antibiotics
      or the Lasix.

      My guess would be the antibiotics or something she is eating.
      If my cat, this would be my approach (just my opinion):

      1. I'd first get some probiotics and/or digestive enzymes in her.
      The probiotics will replace the good bacteria that the antibiotics
      are killing off. The digestive enzymes will help her process her
      food better. Is she still on the Purina prescription food? If so,
      she might need enzymes because she is not getting any from her
      present diet (they are killed at ~115 degrees F.)

      2. Do a mini-fast (maybe 12 hours) to see if that calms her
      digestive track down.

      3. After the mini-fast, feed her something like pure meat baby food
      for a few meals. (single food, high quality protein)

      4. If the problem continues, you can try slippery elm or 100%
      canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling). Pumpkin is high fiber and should
      absorb the extra fluid in the bowel and firm up the stool. Again,
      it depends on the cat. Pumkin works like a dream for my dog, but
      not my cat, since he doesn't process veggies well.

      What is she eating?
      When Mr Pepe gets the runs, I can usually tie it to eating some
      vegetable matter. I'll never forget the mess caused by giving him 1
      teeny drop of flax seed oil. Long haired cat with the runs...not a
      pretty picture. Generally, a mini-fast takes care of the problem.

      Good Luck,

      Deena in Newburyport, MA
      Mr. Pepe: Male, NFC, dx'd 11/03 at 3 yrs, severe HCM, restrictive,
      advanced CHF, severe spontaneous contrast.
      Enalapril, Lasix, Atenolol, Fragmin, Dandelion, Nattokinase, CoQ10,
      Gland & Organ Wafers, Fish Oil, Lyssin, Coral Calcium, Rescue
      Remedy. Raw fed.
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic