15612RE: [FH] New member . . . Kitty diagnosed with heart murmur

  • Marjorie Blaine
    Feb 2, 2004
      Laura

      My kitty, Max, had a grade 2 heart murmur in September which was detected
      during a routine exam. He did not have this murmur last spring (I take my
      cats in 2x's a year for routine exams). They immediately (same day) got me
      scheduled at the specialty clinic to have an echo done. This echo showed
      his heart to be normal--no problems anywhere. But they said bring him back
      in 3 mos. to look at it again. I did and during that echo, they were able
      to tell from the measurements that very very slight thickening at his mitral
      valve and his atrium had begun. So......I'm a great believer in getting the
      echos done. A murmur does not mean the kitty has HCM or will develop it but
      it's something to watch. I believe we've been given a blessing in disguise
      by finding this so early so we can start treating it BEFORE things get
      worse. For Max, the echo was not stressful. They did not have to shave him
      or anesthetize him (or even give him anything at all which I would not have
      wanted); they let me stay with him and he just laid on the "platform" still
      as could be and purred away.

      I hope this helps.

      Marjorie
      Sitka,Teddi,Gus,and Max

      Max: 6.5 year old neutered male Scottish Fold, idiopathic primary HCM
      diagnosed 12-2003, asymptomatic (normal bp, heart rate, resp), grade 2
      murmur, very slight mitral valve and atrial thickening, treatment regimen:
      30 mg COQ10 2x daily, 50 mg pycnogenol 2x daily, 250 mg each L-carnitine and
      taurine 2x daily, dan shen pian 1 pill 2x daily (herbal anti-coagulant).