14910Re: [FH] How can I successfully administer a pill?

  • Susan
    Nov 30 6:58 AM
      --- savionna@... wrote:

      > Another thing to consider is an approach that
      > respects the cats autonomy and
      > brings the cat into a partnership in his care. This
      > can include talking with
      > the cat...to let him know what you intend to do and
      > then talking thru each
      > step...and also asking for his cooperation, thanking
      > him for letting you do what's
      > needed to keep him healthy, and asking forgiveness
      > for any mistakes. If
      > someone grabbed you, wrapped you in a blanket, and
      > tried to shove a pill down your
      > throat without letting you know, you might balk,
      > too.

      I agree. Pilling needs to be as stress free as
      possible. I also think it is preferable to other
      techniques. Mixing meds with food runs the risk of a
      cat developing food aversion or losing trust regarding

      I know there are many on this list who pill on the
      floor with the cat between their legs. I however use
      the back of an upholstered chair. This allows me to
      hold the cat under my armpit loosely with my left hand
      cupping his chest. This technique because of the
      height and narrowness of the chair back allows for
      minimal restraint as the cat realy can't go anywhere.

      My vet told me to find the one thing my cat is
      passionate about eating and give it to him ONLY after
      pilling. True classical conditioning. Rudy actually
      leads me to his pilling chair because his special
      people food he loves (cocktail shrimp)is sitting on a
      saucer as an after pilling treat. My vet also told me
      to stroke his forehead before pilling because this is
      what the mother cat does to calm the kittens. I have
      photos with explanatory text illustrating this
      technique in the images area of this group.

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic