14909Re: [FH] How can I successfully administer a pill?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Nov 30 5:57 AM
      Hi Laurie,

      In a message dated 11/30/03 2:57:10 AM, bermaguchi@... writes:

      << At 2:15 PM -0500 11/29/03, savionna@... wrote:

      >If, after a fair trail, it proves impossible to pill the cat, most
      >medications can be made into either a flavored solution that a cat
      >can lick up or that can be syringed (which requires another
      >technique to avoid aspiration)

      Yikes. What is that technique? >>

      Administering liquid meds or remedies requires a slightly different techique
      than pilling a solid tab or capsule. With a tab/cap, you hold the head gently
      so that the nose is pointing to the ceiling...and the pill is aimed over the
      hump of the back of the tongue (basic description; for details, again, see
      www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html).

      With a liquid, you hold the head *horizontally*...that is, in its "normal"
      position. If it's a very small amt of liquid (like 0.5cc), you can gently lift
      the corner of the jowl and syringe in the little pouch. For a larger amt, you
      open the mouth gently, insert the syringe tip in the gap of the teeth, and
      squirt the liquid *diagonally* across the tongue toward the back corner of the
      cheek, *not* aimed down the throat or to the back of the tongue. This helps avoid
      the cat's inhaling (aspirating) any liquid into the lungs. // Rosemary
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic