14650Intro

  • MOTTOLA FAMILY
    Nov 13, 2003
      From: MOTTOLA FAMILY
      To: Feline Heart Group
      Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:57 PM
      Subject: Intro

      Hi everyone. I'm so glad I found this group. My name is Deena and I live in MA. I have a 2.5 yr old Toller named Buddie and the coolest 3 yr old Norwegian named Mr. Pepe (he looks like a skunk) Mr. P was just diagnosed with severe hypertropic cardiomyopathy. Docs words: significant muscle thickening and a massively dilated left atrium. He is at Tufts Med School for diagnosis and a treatment plan is being developed. I'm still in shock but hopefully I found the right place for support and guidance. My goal is palliative care at home and to give him the best possible quality of life I can. Each day with him will be viewed as a gift. Hopefully you guys can provide ideas on diet, lifestyle, treatment, expectations, etc. I am holistically minded and feel that both alternative and allopathic medicine may play a role here.

      2 days ago, Mr. Pepe was an energetic (sometimes too much energy) and incredibly healthy looking cat who loved life. He spent his morning chasing birds in the yard. His afternoon was spent at the beach bossing the obnoxious dogs around. His night was spent in the ER, inches away from pulmonary arrest. The past few days have been a roller coaster of hope/crushed hope, so I am very fried. His only medical situation was this funky intermittent limp, which started a year ago, and bothered me more than him. After several months of not being able to figure it out, we decided it might be tick related and treated it with Ledum. Within hours we saw improvement and in 3 days the limp was gone, so we figured we nailed the diagnosis correctly. Then this, so know I wonder if they are connected?

      I look forward to any advice, tricks, etc that you can pass along. I'm still trying to process this all, because it happened so quickly. Once I get over the shock, I'll work on my plan and might need some hand-holding.

      My first of what I'm sure will be a million questions for you is:
      Is there a such thing as too much natural taurine in a diet? I read that a high taurine/low sodium diet is best. He is raw fed and eats a good variety of different meats. His absolute favorite is heart. I don't want to overdo it if harmful, but on the other hand where his days are so numbered I want him to enjoy life to it's fullest.

      Deena