14453Re: New member intro

  • brinkett
    Oct 20, 2003
      Did it happen close to when he had one of his 1/4 aspirins or his
      other medications? Some cats are very sensitive to ASA. Morag
      throws up her aspirin about 70% of the time, and we have now stopped
      giving it to her, with the vet's knowledge, because unfortunately
      her other medication sometimes comes up with it. It also makes her
      a little suspicious of her medicated treats and we just can't have
      that. We've tried giving it with food, giving it at different times
      of the day, close to her other medication, hours away from her other
      medication, and it makes no difference so she's just one of those
      cats whose stomach is irritated by it.

      In Krisper's case, could it also have been a simple upset
      tummy/digestive system, perhaps? He does take quite a bit of
      medication from the sounds of it.

      Welcome to the group! :-)

      Sarah.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Mary E. Todd" <maryetodd@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have been lurking on this list for a while and thought it time
      > do an intro. Our cat Krisper is 13 years old and was diagnosed
      with
      > CHF last spring. He also had megacolon about a year ago and we
      have
      > to treat him for chronic constipation. He is currently about 15
      lbs
      > and on Wellness dry and canned (we add lactulose to it for the
      > constipation). His drug schedule is as follows: 2x a day: 1 lasix
      and
      > 1 enalapril tab. 1x a day: stool softener, cisapride, potassium
      > supplement. Every other day he gets 1/4 tab of digoxin (this is
      new
      > for the last month), and twice a week he takes 1/4 baby aspirin.
      > Luckily, he is the mellowest Buddha cat and tolerates the pilling
      > with very few problems -- and looks forward to his treats
      afterward.

      > Last Tuesday, in the space of about 15 minutes, Krisper had
      diarrhea
      > on the floor in the study. A few minutes later, as I was cleaning
      it
      > up, we heard an unnatural yowl and ran into the living room where
      he
      > had vomited up his dinner. Within minutes, he was settled down
      again,
      > and has been fine since. We took him to the vet (my first thought
      was
      > possible digoxin toxicity – but the blood test came back fine).
      The
      > vet thinks it was probably an angina attack. Has anyone else's cat
      > experienced this? The vet said, unfortunately there is nothing
      more
      > we can do, except get him to oxygen if it were to occur again.
      >
      > Thanks; I have already learned a lot from looking at the archives.
      >
      > Mary
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic