14330Re: Alternatives to Atenolol?

  • brinkett
    Sep 30, 2003
      Hi Lisa,

      I would definitely speak to the vet ASAP. It can take some time and
      experimentation to figure out the correct medications and doses. It
      sounds like your cat is getting worse, so to continue to plod on
      with the same regimen isn't the answer. Go back to the vet and/or
      cardio and discuss alternatives - don't take "there aren't any" for
      an answer.

      Sarah.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "pugsleykall" <lgowk@h...>
      wrote:
      > My cat has been taking 6.25 mg of Atenolol for 2 weeks, and is
      doing
      > horribly on it. I feel like I'm giving him chemo for how sick it
      > makes him. Prior to being diagnosed with HCM, his symptoms were
      > continuing weight loss and poor appetite. The drug completely
      cuts
      > out his appetite, he has lost another pound, down to 8 pounds,
      from
      > 12, and even though the cardiologist told me I could cut the
      medicine
      > to every other day if it affected his appetite, it's taking longer
      > than 2 days for him to start eating again.
      >
      > Does this sound "normal" to you? For the past day, he's holding
      his
      > body very rigid, not purring, and almost in a catatonic state.
      Won't
      > eat, drink, anything.
      >
      > Should I approach my vet about some other drug, or should we plod
      > ahead on this one? I feel like he's better off without it, come
      what
      > may. It's unbearable to see him this sick.
      >
      > Thanks for any advice.
      > Lisa
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic