      From: jenmcgovern2001 [mailto:jenmcgovern2001@...]
      Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 12:36 AM
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FH] congestive heart failure w/hyperthyroidism

      Hi--I'm new. My name is Jen and I have a 16 yr old shorthair kitty
      named Urchin. He's been diagnosed for almost a year with
      hyperthyroidism and about a week ago he stopped eating and became very
      lethargic. After several trips to emergency vets and my own vet we
      discovered that he has congestive heart failure due to the
      hyperthyroid. We are treating with Lasix and atenolol and I'm giving
      him saline subcutaneously at home. He was dehydrated as well and the
      IV drip that they did at the emergency vet's overloaded his lungs.
      We're still trying to ease his breathing.

      Basically I wondered if anyone could give me suggestions or support,
      particularly concerning his eating and lethargy. He will eat A/d if
      syringe fed but won't eat on his own, and I'm not sure that he's
      drinking at all except when I give it to him via syringe. Also, he's
      terribly lethargic and won't do much except change where he's lying
      down--goes to the other bedroom, living rm, litter box, back to my
      bedrm. Does anyone know if he could regain energy after this kind of
      crisis? Do cats that stop eating restart spontaneously, or will I
      have to syringe feed him permanently? I guess I would just like to
      hear from anyone who's coped with CHF.

      Thanks for the list--I was so relieved to find it and read other
      posts. Treating my kitty by myself is so scary and I want to be
      optimistic, but it's difficult when he's so sick. Thanks for any help
      or advice.