14181Re: congestive heart failure w/hyperthyroidism

  • brinkett
    Sep 5, 2003

      I'm sorry to hear about Urchin.

      Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about helping Urchin eat -
      I've not faced that problem yet. However, from reading other posts
      here and on usenet, I think there's a good chance that he'll eat on
      his own once he's through this crisis and hopefully veterans of the
      HCM/CHF battle will have some helpful suggestions for you to get him
      through this time.

      I was just wondering how Urchin is being treated for his
      hyperthyroidism and how often his T4 level is being monitored by the
      vet. If he has been on medication for the year at a dosage that
      works for him, then I would be surprised that he went into CHF due
      to the hyperthyroidism. It would suggest that his hyperthyroid
      condition isn't being managed correctly, in which case that needs to
      be addressed in addition to addressing his heart condition.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenmcgovern2001"
      <jenmcgovern2001@y...> wrote:
      > Hi--I'm new. My name is Jen and I have a 16 yr old shorthair kitty
      > named Urchin. He's been diagnosed for almost a year with
      > hyperthyroidism and about a week ago he stopped eating and became
      > lethargic. After several trips to emergency vets and my own vet we
      > discovered that he has congestive heart failure due to the
      > hyperthyroid. We are treating with Lasix and atenolol and I'm
      > him saline subcutaneously at home. He was dehydrated as well and
      > IV drip that they did at the emergency vet's overloaded his lungs.
      > We're still trying to ease his breathing.
      > Basically I wondered if anyone could give me suggestions or
      > particularly concerning his eating and lethargy. He will eat A/d
      > syringe fed but won't eat on his own, and I'm not sure that he's
      > drinking at all except when I give it to him via syringe. Also,
      > terribly lethargic and won't do much except change where he's lying
      > down--goes to the other bedroom, living rm, litter box, back to my
      > bedrm. Does anyone know if he could regain energy after this kind
      > crisis? Do cats that stop eating restart spontaneously, or will I
      > have to syringe feed him permanently? I guess I would just like to
      > hear from anyone who's coped with CHF.
      > Thanks for the list--I was so relieved to find it and read other
      > posts. Treating my kitty by myself is so scary and I want to be
      > optimistic, but it's difficult when he's so sick. Thanks for any
      > or advice.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic