13401Re: [FH] Re: Bacterial contamination & Parasites was raw organ meats

  • Susan
    Jul 3, 2003
      --- bcowell <bcowell@...> wrote:
      > I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the
      > feeding of hearts
      > and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not
      > want to feed
      > these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts
      > had been
      > recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth
      > cleaning.

      You may want to try baby clams for taurine (really
      high) and they are quite chewy so I imagine they are
      good for teeth. The iodine content is comparable to
      chicken. Could Red Tide affect canned baby clams that
      you know of?

      > All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial
      > contamination, especially
      > chicken.

      I am going to try beef heart. Rudy doesn't like any
      chicken.

      But it is important to remember that the
      > same bacteria that
      > give us gastrointestinal disease from eating
      > contaminated foods are
      > not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.

      I personally would worry most about feeding raw in the
      context of the members of this list to any cats who
      are suffering from cardiac cachexia since it does have
      an effect on immune system function.

      Some seafood recipes call for marinating in lemon
      juice as that precooks the seafood. I wonder if this
      could be a way to feed raw without baterial worry,
      afterall it is the heat that distroys vitamins.

      Do you have access to the full text articles that
      PubMed lists abstracts for?

      Susan

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic