13393Re: [FH] raw organ meats was Vet articles regarding cardiac nutrition and Fox study

  • bcowell
    Jul 2, 2003
      Lisa,
      I hadn't heard of using grapefruit-seed extract. There are a number
      of things that would kill most bacteria (never all, really only
      autoclaving or pressure cooking would do that). It could be acid in
      the extract I would think, one of the issues is will your cat still
      eat it after treatment? Maybe you could try adding the extract and
      see how much it changes the look and smell of it.
      I know a lot of cat breeders that feed chicken drop the raw chicken
      legs in boiling water for 3 minutes... it leaves the inside raw but
      somewhat sterilizes the outside. One breeder even drops in frozen raw
      chicken.
      I buy chicken at Whole Foods also for Bobo, I figure it's the best
      available for me, so it is good for him too. To be safe, I don't buy
      budget chicken, and I buy the chicken every other day so it is as
      fresh as possible. If we had a bigger freezer I would probably
      stockpile it so I didn't have to go grocery shopping all the time.
      Brigitte

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Wathey, Lisa" <ljw@r...> wrote:
      > Hey Brigitte, what do you think of the books that
      recommend "treating" the meat with grapefruit-seed extract to kill
      the bacteria (or anything else). Is it the acidic environment that
      would do it? I have just been buying Barney good quality meat at
      Whole foods but am concerned about it. Is there anything we can do
      to make it safer? Lisa W.

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      > This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the
      addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the
      attorney/client and other privileges. If the reader is not the
      intended recipient, DO NOT READ, notify sender and delete this
      message. In addition, be aware that any disclosure, copying,
      distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly
      prohibited.