Scooter Run Oz.....

  • Ron Grant
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 12:42 AM
      Well just came back from my first 'Clubrun" with the local scooter guys.

      About 30 showed up....for 400+k up/back to the Noosa beach and an Italian
      restaurant........I had thought my Helix would be the biggest but
      NO.....most were on 250 Majesties...all the NEWist model...and a lot Honda
      250 Foresight too....a few Gilera 180 runner.....odd Vespa 200.

      These guys ride FAST ...about 100-110k..too fast for me, a guy trying to
      nurse my Helix from its 13th year to a further LIFE of riding.

      Anyways...it was interesting that SO many guys....most seemed to be 40-60
      yr. olds...are getting INTO this in Oz...now.

      No Tmax on the run...but I bet they are coming soon...

      Ron Grant in Brisbane Australia!

      Motorcycle Travel Web Page
      www.powerup.com.au/~ultspnch
    • Paul Blezard
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2001
        on 30/4/01 8:42 am, Ron Grant at ultspnch@... wrote:

        > These guys ride FAST ...about 100-110k..too fast for me, a guy trying to
        > nurse my Helix from its 13th year to a further LIFE of riding.

        Doesn't sound fast to us Ron...Just keep that Helix nailed to the stop!
        They love it! Most important thing is to keep an eye on the oil level and
        change it frequently. In any case, there are plenty of spare engines
        around....Every Piaggio Hexagon 250 has one for a start!

      • Janet Mulgrue
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2001
          Interesting. Most of the people in out local scooter club ride Vespas. Could
          be something to do with the fact that the club was started by the local
          Italian scooter dealer. I take my Majesty and there is one other. All the rest
          are small Italian machines. Not T Max either, but then rumour has it that
          there was only one allocated to the Canberra dealer and it has been sold to a
          former Majesty owner.

          I have fallen in love with the Paiggio X9, which is currently only available
          as a 250 but I believe it is shortly to be released in Oz as a 460 cc.
          Apparently it will be much cheaper than the T Max and with more features. Even
          heated hand grips I hear. Sounds good in Canberra in the middle of winter.

          Janet

          Ron Grant wrote:

          > Well just came back from my first 'Clubrun" with the local scooter guys.
          >
          > About 30 showed up....for 400+k up/back to the Noosa beach and an Italian
          > restaurant........I had thought my Helix would be the biggest but
          > NO.....most were on 250 Majesties...all the NEWist model...and a lot Honda
          > 250 Foresight too....a few Gilera 180 runner.....odd Vespa 200.
          >
          > These guys ride FAST ...about 100-110k..too fast for me, a guy trying to
          > nurse my Helix from its 13th year to a further LIFE of riding.
          >
          > Anyways...it was interesting that SO many guys....most seemed to be 40-60
          > yr. olds...are getting INTO this in Oz...now.
          >
          > No Tmax on the run...but I bet they are coming soon...
          >
          > Ron Grant in Brisbane Australia!
          >
          > Motorcycle Travel Web Page
          > www.powerup.com.au/~ultspnch

        • brett cappetti
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2001
            Attn Janet Mulgrave.
            I advise not to buy the x9 500 as it is very unstable to ride due to the
            terrible engine mounts and suspension.
            Piaggio has really stuffed up here.
            The tmax is the more reliable scooter here out of the silverwing and x9 500.
            I have a tmax which I have done work to and its handles perfectly from slow
            to high speed.
            I'm a courier and I use the tmax instead of the old majesty I used to own
            and the tmax handles like a dream in the city.
            I have taken the centre stand off so it doesn't scrape and I love it..
            I will not consider a x9 or silverwing any day and I will tell everyone to
            buy a tmax.
            It mite be dear at $13,500.00 on the road in oz but it is worth it.
            The running costs are so low that I wont even worry about the top price of
            oil and other sport parts I put in it as I can afford it with heaps of
            money to spare..
            I will be on the next ride with scootopia when ever Tony organises it..
            Cya.
            Click here for Free Video!!
            http://www.gohip.com/free_video/
          • Janet Mulgrue
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2001
              Thanks for the info. last thing I need is something more unstable. It was the 14
              inch wheels that appealed to me, but if they don't handle well then there is no
              point. Unfortunately there was only on T Max available here and it was sold, so
              I am waiting with baited breath for the dealer to get another one. They call
              themselves ACTION, but I think INACTION would be more appropriate as they see
              B***** hopeless.

              Janet

              brett cappetti wrote:

              > Attn Janet Mulgrave.
              > I advise not to buy the x9 500 as it is very unstable to ride due to the
              > terrible engine mounts and suspension.
              > Piaggio has really stuffed up here.
              > The tmax is the more reliable scooter here out of the silverwing and x9 500.
              > I have a tmax which I have done work to and its handles perfectly from slow
              > to high speed.
              > I'm a courier and I use the tmax instead of the old majesty I used to own
              > and the tmax handles like a dream in the city.
              > I have taken the centre stand off so it doesn't scrape and I love it..
              > I will not consider a x9 or silverwing any day and I will tell everyone to
              > buy a tmax.
              > It mite be dear at $13,500.00 on the road in oz but it is worth it.
              > The running costs are so low that I wont even worry about the top price of
              > oil and other sport parts I put in it as I can afford it with heaps of
              > money to spare..
              > I will be on the next ride with scootopia when ever Tony organises it..
              > Cya.
            • Paul Blezard
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2001
                on 3/5/01 11:26 am, brett cappetti at brettcappetti@... wrote:

                > Attn Janet Mulgrave.
                > I advise not to buy the x9 500 as it is very unstable to ride due to the
                > terrible engine mounts and suspension.
                > Piaggio has really stuffed up here.
                > The tmax is the more reliable scooter here out of the silverwing and x9 500.

                Hey Brett,
                You're amazingly knowledgeable about bikes you've never even sat on, let
                alone ridden! It's a bit early to start talking about reliability for any of
                these machines.
                Having actually ridden all three myself, I agree that the Tmax handles best
                but the X9 is much easier to get through traffic and the Silver Wing is much
                faster, and both have a lower seat.
                I suggest that when the X9 500 and Silver Wing finally make it into your
                shops, that Janet should get a test ride on all three and make up her own
                mind. I had no real problems with the X9 500 - it certainly handled as well
                as my Burger 400. If she's got an inside leg measurement less than 30 inches
                she'll probably struggle to get her feet down on the Tmax.

                > I have a tmax which I have done work to and its handles perfectly from slow
                > to high speed.
                We are very curious to know how you got your Tmax from 31 rear wheel bhp to
                your claim of 55, unless you've fitted a turbocharger.
                Have you got dyno graphs to back up these staggering claims? And how much
                did it cost you to modify?
                Seriously though, a Tmax with lots more power than standard would be well
                worth turning into a 'proper' FF machine since it definitely has the best
                chassis.
                Have you done anything to the rear suspension - I think it's ridiculous that
                it comes as standard with no adjustment whatsoever.

                PNB
              • david_scott@infonet-europe.com
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2001
                  At last another voice of reason.

                  David.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2001
                    yer I cant touch the rear suspension as I haven't looked into what I can do.
                    I don't have a scanner so I cant show u my dyno readings on the tmax.
                    and yes it cost a handful to do.
                    but I like scooters and fast ones and I will do what it takes to get the
                    best out of a engine.
                    we in oz r just as knowledgeable as you guys in England on engines and we
                    can play around with our pipes and other thing dew to no rule on noise
                    (there is a noise limit but who follows it) anyway I must go ride my tmax on
                    this wonderful sunny Saturday morning.
                  • SimonCWEvans@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2001
                      brettcappetti@... writes:

                      > I don't have a scanner so I cant show u my dyno readings on the tmax.
                      > and yes it cost a handful to do.
                      > but I like scooters and fast ones and I will do what it takes to get the
                      > best out of a engine.

                      That's OK Brett, just ask the tuning shop to put a copy of the dyno graph on
                      a floppy, then e-mail the contents it to me. It's usually an Excel file, but
                      I have a load of sophisticated graphics software so, no matter what format it
                      comes in, I'll be able to read it and post it back to the group for you. I
                      also have access to all the major types of dyno, so if all else fails I can
                      look at it on the dyno computer...

                      Could you also tell us what changes you've made to the transmission of the
                      T-Max to cope with the extra power - my sources at Yamaha here in the UK say
                      that the CVT element needs substantial beefing-up to cope with that kind of
                      power increase and that the top speed of the T-Max can ONLY be increased by
                      changing the final drive ratio. I've yet to see how that can be achieved with
                      the strange drive system the T-Max uses.

                      So looking forward to hearing from you...

                      Simon Evans
                    • Julian Bond
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 5, 2001
                        How do you find the riding position on the TMax compared with the
                        Majesty? And the Majesty MkII? I stopped in at a bike shop on Thursday
                        for the first time and sat on both. ISTM that the Majesty II is just
                        about the most sorted of the megascoots. Nice low seat, adjustable leg
                        room, narrow enough and with a venting system in the screen. It could do
                        with a bit more hand wind protection.

                        I was shocked at how wrong the Tmax felt. I'm not exactly short, but I
                        could barely get toes down when it was on the centrestand and the
                        running boards are really wide. The highish seat and wide running boards
                        feel like they'd be a pain if you are less than 5'10". There are lots of
                        small touches on the Majesty II that didn't make it to the TMax,
                        suggesting that development of the two was somehow separated, either by
                        people or by time. I can't help feeling that putting the air box under
                        the seat and the fuel tank between the legs (like every other
                        mmegascoot) would have made more sense.

                        --
                        -----------============>>>>>>>>>> )+( <<<<<<<<<<============-----------
                        Julian Bond mailto:julian_bond@...
                        > This Motorcycle Protected By Zen Buddhism <
                      • Paul Blezard
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 5, 2001
                          on 5/5/01 8:32 am, Julian Bond at julian_bond@... wrote:

                          > ISTM that the Majesty II is just about the most sorted of the megascoots.
                          It is, but....

                          > Nice low seat,

                          Not really. At 750mm the Maj Mk2 seat is over two inches higher than the
                          Burger's and the Burger's still an inch higher than a Helix...which at 26
                          inches is not really very low at all by true FF standards...

                          I agree that Yamaha seem to have forgotten all the lessons they learned with
                          the Mk1 Maj when it came to designing the Tmax. I predict that the Mk2 Tmax
                          will re-discover much that is good in the Mk2 Maj but with a lower seat.

                          Actually, I foresee three different versions of the Tmax - low power, low
                          seat cruiser, high seat, high power sportster as well as the standard
                          machine.
                          I hope we'll be able to 'mix and match' the best bits to create a low seat,
                          high power near-FF....
                          Meanwhile, let's hope Suzuki are taking on board all the mistakes made by
                          Honda, Yamaha and Piaggio so that they can make their Superburger the best
                          superduperscoot yet!

                          Bearing in mind the huge cost of the Maj 250 (4499 UKP OTR) it's astonishing
                          to me that they've managed to sell so many - it was actually the top selling
                          250 scoot in the UK last year with 284 sold compared to 231 X9 250s and only
                          84 250 Burgers. (Although the X9 was not on sale till some way through the
                          year).
                          Burger 400 was top selling over 125 scoot by far, with 437 sold (apart from
                          the 1928 Runner 180s of course).

                          PNB