Clip: Dylan Looks Back

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2004
      Unlike their deceptive promos a couple months back regard a Dylan feature
      on Sunday Morning, this week's 60 Minutes actually has an interview.

      <http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/02/60minutes/main658799.shtml>

      Dylan Looks Back

      Dec. 3, 2004

      (CBS) The '60s generation worshipped Bob Dylan and thought of him as their
      prophet or savior. But in his first television interview in 19 years, the
      music legend tells Correspondent Ed Bradley that he rejects such solemn
      notions, and never saw himself as more than a singer-songwriter.

      His interview with 60 Minutes will be broadcast on Sunday, Dec. 5, at 7
      p.m. ET/PT.

      Dylan says the idea of such a perception made him uncomfortable in his own
      skin, feeling like an "impostor."

      "It was like being in an Edgar Allan Poe story and you're just not that
      person everybody thinks you are, though they call you that all the time,"
      he tells Bradley.

      "'You're the prophet. You're the savior.' I never wanted to be a prophet or
      a savior. Elvis maybe. I could see myself becoming him. But prophet? No."

      Although Dylan is keenly aware of the immutable perception, especially when
      awestruck fans approach him in public, he still can't reconcile it with his
      own reality.

      "My stuff...[they]were songs...they weren't sermons. If you examine the
      songs, I don't believe you're going find anything in there that says that
      I'm a spokesman for anybody or anything, really," says Dylan. "[Those who
      feel that way] must not have heard the songs."

      His signature song, "Like a Rolling Stone," was recently named by Rolling
      Stone magazine as the best song of all time. But the honor may mean more to
      his fans than to Dylan.

      "Oh, maybe this week [it's No. 1]. But you know, the list, they change
      names ... quite frequently, really. I don't pay much attention to that," he
      tells Bradley.

      "But it's a pat on the back, Bob," says Bradley.

      Dylan replies: "This week it is. But you know, who's to say how long that's
      going to last."

      Also discussed in the interview is Dylan's recently published memoir,
      "Chronicles Volume One." The book's publisher, Simon & Schuster, and CBS
      News, are subsidiaries of Viacom.