Clip: Sam Prekop to Issue First Solo Album in Nearly Five Years

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-12/01.shtml>

      Sam Prekop to Issue First Solo Album in Nearly Five Years

      Matt Amis reports:
      Sam Prekop, guitarist and vocalist for Chicago-based post-rockers The Sea
      and Cake, is getting set to release his first solo album in nearly five
      years and second overall, entitled Who's Your New Professor. Prekop hasn't
      yet revealed the finalized tracklist for the album, which is tentatively
      scheduled for a March release on Thrill Jockey, but according to a report
      on Billboard.com, "the album finds Prekop's trademark breathy crooning
      wrapped around 11 warm, loose tracks that defy easy categorization." Lazy
      bastards.

      Prekop was slightly more forthcoming on the sound of the new album, versus
      the Brazilian influence prevalent on his first record. "My Curtis Mayfield
      fixation reared its ugly head more times on this record than the first
      one," he said. "I'm not anti-Brazilian music-- I just wanted to try [and]
      ease up on it this time." Prekop's Sea and Cake bandmate Archer Prewitt
      played on Professor, along with bassist Josh Abrams, drummer Chad Taylor,
      and cornet player Rob Mazurek.

      Prekop will support the record via extensive touring beginning in March,
      hitting larger U.S. cities at first, as well as Japan. Says Prekop: "In
      April, at least some of us will be going to Europe, but I don't know if the
      whole band will be able to do that." May and June will see Prekop back in
      the U.S. for a longer stateside jaunt. As for The Sea and Cake, Prekop says
      the band will get started on its next album soon.

      .: Pitchfork Review: Sam Prekop: Sam Prekop
      .: Pitchfork Review: The Sea & Cake: One Bedroom
      .: Sam Prekop at Thrill Jockey:
      http://www.thrilljockey.com/bandpage.html?artistnum=29