Re: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist: Fear & Whiskey 11/8/04

  • Carl A Zimring
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
      "Karl Rimzig" played the following on WRCT last night:

      > The Gothees/Sugar Sugar

      Does that mean there is a Gothees CD now?

      Carl Z.
    • jim caligiuri
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 2004
        NEVER BEFORE RELEASED RECORDINGS FROM NIRVANA
        HEARD ON 3-CD/1-DVD BOX SET WITH THE LIGHTS OUT

        Geffen/UME is set to release the much-anticipated 3-CD/1-DVD box set
        With The Lights Out on November 23, 2004. The box set contains 81
        tracks, 68 which were previously unreleased.
        The box set spans Nirvana's entire career, from a recording of Led
        Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" at the band's first show in 1987 to solo
        acoustic performances from singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain in 1994. With
        The Lights Out features a 60-page color booklet with rare photos and
        liner notes by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and writer Neil Strauss.
        The three CDs, arranged largely chronologically contains home and
        rehearsal demos, including for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (whose lyric
        "With the lights out" provides the set's title), "Rape Me," "Heart
        Shaped Box" and a trio penned by legendary bluesman Leadbelly.
        Heard in the 12 previously unreleased solo acoustic tracks are such gems
        as "All Apologies," "Lithium" and "Sliver." Six previously unreleased
        radio performances range from "Anorexorcist" in 1987 to "Dumb" in 1991
        (two years before it was on 1993's In Utero). Along with the remaining
        debuts are a handful of earlier issued, though rare, b-sides and demos
        as well as the original Butch Vig mix of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
        Highlighted on the With The Lights Out DVD is a previously unreleased
        video of nine songs performed in 1988 at bassist Krist Novoselic's
        mother's house in Aberdeen, Washington; the rare "In Bloom" Sub Pop
        music video, and 10 never-before-seen live performances. Noteworthy
        among them are debut renditions of "Pennyroyal Tea", "Smells Like Teen
        Spirit" both from early 1991. Also premiering is an unlikely performance
        of Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen's "Seasons In The Sun" shot at a Rio de
        Janeiro studio.
        Nirvana debuted on album with 1989's Bleach (years later going
        platinum), followed by the EP Blew, each on Seattle-based Sub Pop.
        Drummer Dave Grohl joined in fall 1990 and soon after the band signed to
        Geffen Records. Nevermind (1991), propelled by the platinum Top 10
        anthem "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and its landmark music video, hit #1
        and is now 10 times platinum. Up next were the Top 40, platinum
        Incesticide (1992) and the #1, quintuple platinum In Utero (1993). In
        April 1994, Cobain committed suicide. Issued posthumously have been
        1994's MTV Unplugged In New York (#1, quintuple platinum), 1996's live
        compilation From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah (#1, platinum) and
        2002's "best of" Nirvana (#3, platinum).

        The following is the Track list for With The Lights Out:
        1. HEARTBREAKER (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
        from 1987
        2. ANOREXORCIST - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1987
        3. WHITE LACE AND STRANGE (Bond) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1987
        4. HELP ME I¹M HUNGRY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1987
        5. MRS. BUTTERWORTH - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        6. IF YOU MUST - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        7. PEN CAP CHEW - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        8. DOWNER - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        9. FLOYD THE BARBER - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        10. RAUNCHOLA/MOBY DICK (Moby Dick - Bonham, Jones, Page) - PREVIOUSLY
        UNRELEASED from 1988
        11. BEANS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (undated)
        12. DON¹T WANT IT ALL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (undated)
        13. CLEAN UP BEFORE SHE COMES - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED(undated)
        14. POLLY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        15. ABOUT A GIRL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        16. BLANDEST - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        17. DIVE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
        18. THEY HUNG HIM ON A CROSS (Huddie Ledbetter) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
        from 1989
        19. GREY GOOSE (Huddie Ledbetter) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        20. AIN¹T IT A SHAME (Huddie Ledbetter) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        21. TOKEN EASTERN SONG - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        22. EVEN IN HIS YOUTH - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        23. POLLY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        DISC TWO
        1. OPINION - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
        2. LITHIUM - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
        3. BEEN A SON - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
        4. SLIVER - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        5. WHERE DID YOU SLEEP LAST NIGHT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
        6. PAY TO PLAY from 1990
        7. HERE SHE COMES NOW (Cale, Morrison, Reed, Tucker) from 1990
        8. DRAIN YOU – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
        9. ANEURYSM from 1990
        10. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
        11. BREED - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
        12. VERSE CHORUS VERSE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
        13. OLD AGE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
        14. ENDLESS, NAMELESS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
        15. DUMB - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
        16. D-7 (Sage) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
        17. OH THE GUILT from 1992
        18. CURMUDGEON from 1992
        19. RETURN OF THE RAT (Sage) from 1992
        20. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT – from 1991
        DISC 3
        1. RAPE ME (acoustic) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1992
        2. RAPE ME (electric) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1992
        3. SCENTLESS APPRENTICE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1992
        4. HEART SHAPED BOX - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        5. I HATE MYSELF AND I WANT TO DIE from 1993
        6. MILK IT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        7. MOIST VAGINA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        8. GALLONS OF RUBBING ALCOHOL FLOW THROUGH THE STRIP from 1993
        9. THE OTHER IMPROV - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        10. SERVE THE SERVANTS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        11. VERY APE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        12. PENNYROYAL TEA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
        13. MARIGOLD (Grohl) from 1993
        14. SAPPY (retitled ³Verse Chorus Verse² for release) from 1993
        15. JESUS DOESN¹T WANT ME FOR A SUNBEAM (Kelly, McKee) - PREVIOUSLY
        UNRELEASED from 1994
        16. DO RE MI - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1994.
        17. YOU KNOW YOU¹RE RIGHT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1994
        18. ALL APOLOGIES - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (undated)

        DISC 4 (DVD)
        1. Love Buzz (Leeuwen)
        2. Scoff
        3. About A Girl
        4. Big Long Now
        5. Immigrant Song (Page, Plant)
        6. Spank Thru
        7. Hairspray Queen
        8. School
        9. Mr. Moustache
        Tracks 1-9 all previously unreleased from 1988
        10. Big Cheese – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED(1989)
        11. In Bloom - Sub Pop Video (1989)
        12. SAPPY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
        13. SCHOOL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
        14. LOVE BUZZ (Leeuwen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
        15. PENNYROYAL TEA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
        16. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
        17. TERRITORIAL PISSINGS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
        16. JESUS DOESN'T WANT ME FOR A SUNBEAM (Kelly, McKee) - PREVIOUSLY
        UNRELEASED (1991)
        17. Talk To Me - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1992)

        18. Seasons In The Sun (Brel, McKuen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1993)

        --
      • Linda Maxwell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2004
          Excellent. Thanks, Jim - it looks awesome

          Linda M

> [...]
          > 4. Big Long Now
          > 5. Immigrant Song (Page, Plant)
          > 6. Spank Thru
          > 7. Hairspray Queen
          > 8. School
          > 9. Mr. Moustache
          > Tracks 1-9 all previously unreleased from 1988
          > 10. Big Cheese – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED(1989)
          > 11. In Bloom - Sub Pop Video (1989)
          > 12. SAPPY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
          > 13. SCHOOL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
          > 14. LOVE BUZZ (Leeuwen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
          > 15. PENNYROYAL TEA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
          > 16. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
          > 17. TERRITORIAL PISSINGS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
          > 16. JESUS DOESN'T WANT ME FOR A SUNBEAM (Kelly, McKee) - PREVIOUSLY
          > UNRELEASED (1991)
          > 17. Talk To Me - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1992)
          >
          > 18. Seasons In The Sun (Brel, McKuen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1993)

        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
            Smilin' Jim wrote:

            > does anybody care about Nirvana anymore?

            I mentioned this somewhere else awhile back (Postcard, maybe) but
            Nirvana sounds terribly outdated to me. I can still occasionally listen
            to other stuff from that era, usually Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, but
            there's something about Nirvana that doesn't cut it for me. I don't mind
            the Unplugged stuff as much when I hear it, so maybe it's the production
            that bothers me. Dunno, but it didn't make the cut to my Zen player.

            dp
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
              --On Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:12 AM -0500 Dave Purcell
              <dap@...> wrote:

              > I mentioned this somewhere else awhile back (Postcard, maybe) but
              > Nirvana sounds terribly outdated to me. I can still occasionally listen
              > to other stuff from that era, usually Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, but
              > there's something about Nirvana that doesn't cut it for me. I don't mind
              > the Unplugged stuff as much when I hear it, so maybe it's the production
              > that bothers me. Dunno, but it didn't make the cut to my Zen player.

              Nirvana have aged better for me than the other two bands you mentioned,
              though I admit my favorite thing about Pearl Jam by far was Eddie Vedder's
              friendship with Jack McDowell. (Though since the early 90s, Jeff Ament's
              help on Dan Pearson's Clodhopper project would constitute Pearl Jam-related
              music I actually enjoy.) Sometimes I still get "In Bloom" in my head and
              can't get it out...though sometimes it's Graham Parker's cover and not the
              original.

              Carl Z.
            • thekrueg1
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dap@p...> wrote:
                > Smilin' Jim wrote:
                >
                > > does anybody care about Nirvana anymore?
                >
                > I mentioned this somewhere else awhile back (Postcard, maybe) but
                Nirvana sounds terribly outdated to me. I can still occasionally
                listen to other stuff from that era, usually Soundgarden or Pearl
                Jam, but there's something about Nirvana that doesn't cut it for me.
                I don't mind the Unplugged stuff as much when I hear it, so maybe
                it's the production that bothers me. Dunno, but it didn't make the
                cut to my Zen player.

                > dp

                I must beg to differ, too. My daughter -- a high school freshman --
                and her friends are big Nirvana fans, and those songs sure sound
                great when they're cranking in her room. She'll be all over the box
                set I'm sure. It does hurt a little, though, when I hear her
                turning on her classmates to this "really great *old* band called
                Nirvana."

                Tom (Who's taken advantage of the adolescents' instinctive
                attraction to pained, sensitive dead guys to turn her into a big
                Elliott Smith fan, too.)
              • Dave Purcell
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
                  The Krueg wrote:

                  <<Tom (Who's taken advantage of the adolescents' instinctive attraction
                  to pained, sensitive dead guys to turn her into a big Elliott Smith fan,
                  too.)>>

                  Just wait until she starts bringing them home for dates, heh
                  heh...(pained sensitive guys, that is...not dead ones).

                  dp