Playlist: Fear & Whiskey 11/8/04

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
      WRCT 88.3 fm
      5000 Forbes Ave.
      Pittsburgh, PA 15213
      www.wrct.org
      412-621-WRCT
      412-621-0728 (Business)
      info@...

      Program: Fear & Whiskey
      Date: 11-08-2004
      Host: Karl Rimzig

      Artist/Title

      Jimmy Bryant/Little Rock Getaway
      Les Paul/Chicken Reel
      Robyn Hitchcock/Television
      [@ The Rex 11/9]
      Hayden/1939
      Dwight Yoakam/Little Sister
      Rosie Flores/Turn Around

      Sally Timms/Sentimental Marching Song
      [@ Club Cafe 11/5]
      Willie Nelson + Waylon Jennings/Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be
      Cowboys
      Coal Palace Kings/Rollercoaster Blues
      Marshall Crenshaw/I'm Barely Hangin' On To Me
      Dave Dudley/Trucker's Prayer
      Chris Brokaw/Embryonic Journey
      Kenny Rogers & First Edition/Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town
      Kitty Wells/Forever Young

      Maplewood/Indian Summer
      Bob Neuwirth/Rosalie
      Tanya Donelly/The Center
      Hank Williams/Lovesick Blues
      The Gourds/Lower 48

      Camper Van Beethoven/New Roman Times
      Beat Happening/Indian Summer*
      B.W. Stevenson/Song for Katy
      Clarence White/Wildwood Flower
      The Stanley Brothers/Blue Moon of Kentucky
      Atomic 7/So Long Happy Days

      Old 97's/Won't Be Home
      Ernest Tubbs/Lost Highway
      Charley Pride/All I Have to Offer You (Is Me)
      The Gothees/Sugar Sugar
      Brian Wilson/Heroes and Villians

      William Shatner/You'll Have Time

      *requests

    • Carl A Zimring
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2004
        "Karl Rimzig" played the following on WRCT last night:

        > The Gothees/Sugar Sugar

        Does that mean there is a Gothees CD now?

        Carl Z.
      • jim caligiuri
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2004
          NEVER BEFORE RELEASED RECORDINGS FROM NIRVANA
          HEARD ON 3-CD/1-DVD BOX SET WITH THE LIGHTS OUT

          Geffen/UME is set to release the much-anticipated 3-CD/1-DVD box set
          With The Lights Out on November 23, 2004. The box set contains 81
          tracks, 68 which were previously unreleased.
          The box set spans Nirvana's entire career, from a recording of Led
          Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" at the band's first show in 1987 to solo
          acoustic performances from singer-guitarist Kurt Cobain in 1994. With
          The Lights Out features a 60-page color booklet with rare photos and
          liner notes by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and writer Neil Strauss.
          The three CDs, arranged largely chronologically contains home and
          rehearsal demos, including for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (whose lyric
          "With the lights out" provides the set's title), "Rape Me," "Heart
          Shaped Box" and a trio penned by legendary bluesman Leadbelly.
          Heard in the 12 previously unreleased solo acoustic tracks are such gems
          as "All Apologies," "Lithium" and "Sliver." Six previously unreleased
          radio performances range from "Anorexorcist" in 1987 to "Dumb" in 1991
          (two years before it was on 1993's In Utero). Along with the remaining
          debuts are a handful of earlier issued, though rare, b-sides and demos
          as well as the original Butch Vig mix of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
          Highlighted on the With The Lights Out DVD is a previously unreleased
          video of nine songs performed in 1988 at bassist Krist Novoselic's
          mother's house in Aberdeen, Washington; the rare "In Bloom" Sub Pop
          music video, and 10 never-before-seen live performances. Noteworthy
          among them are debut renditions of "Pennyroyal Tea", "Smells Like Teen
          Spirit" both from early 1991. Also premiering is an unlikely performance
          of Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen's "Seasons In The Sun" shot at a Rio de
          Janeiro studio.
          Nirvana debuted on album with 1989's Bleach (years later going
          platinum), followed by the EP Blew, each on Seattle-based Sub Pop.
          Drummer Dave Grohl joined in fall 1990 and soon after the band signed to
          Geffen Records. Nevermind (1991), propelled by the platinum Top 10
          anthem "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and its landmark music video, hit #1
          and is now 10 times platinum. Up next were the Top 40, platinum
          Incesticide (1992) and the #1, quintuple platinum In Utero (1993). In
          April 1994, Cobain committed suicide. Issued posthumously have been
          1994's MTV Unplugged In New York (#1, quintuple platinum), 1996's live
          compilation From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah (#1, platinum) and
          2002's "best of" Nirvana (#3, platinum).

          The following is the Track list for With The Lights Out:
          1. HEARTBREAKER (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
          from 1987
          2. ANOREXORCIST - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1987
          3. WHITE LACE AND STRANGE (Bond) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1987
          4. HELP ME I¹M HUNGRY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1987
          5. MRS. BUTTERWORTH - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          6. IF YOU MUST - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          7. PEN CAP CHEW - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          8. DOWNER - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          9. FLOYD THE BARBER - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          10. RAUNCHOLA/MOBY DICK (Moby Dick - Bonham, Jones, Page) - PREVIOUSLY
          UNRELEASED from 1988
          11. BEANS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (undated)
          12. DON¹T WANT IT ALL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (undated)
          13. CLEAN UP BEFORE SHE COMES - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED(undated)
          14. POLLY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          15. ABOUT A GIRL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          16. BLANDEST - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          17. DIVE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1988
          18. THEY HUNG HIM ON A CROSS (Huddie Ledbetter) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
          from 1989
          19. GREY GOOSE (Huddie Ledbetter) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          20. AIN¹T IT A SHAME (Huddie Ledbetter) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          21. TOKEN EASTERN SONG - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          22. EVEN IN HIS YOUTH - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          23. POLLY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          DISC TWO
          1. OPINION - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
          2. LITHIUM - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
          3. BEEN A SON - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
          4. SLIVER - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          5. WHERE DID YOU SLEEP LAST NIGHT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1989
          6. PAY TO PLAY from 1990
          7. HERE SHE COMES NOW (Cale, Morrison, Reed, Tucker) from 1990
          8. DRAIN YOU – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
          9. ANEURYSM from 1990
          10. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
          11. BREED - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
          12. VERSE CHORUS VERSE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
          13. OLD AGE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
          14. ENDLESS, NAMELESS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
          15. DUMB - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1991
          16. D-7 (Sage) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1990
          17. OH THE GUILT from 1992
          18. CURMUDGEON from 1992
          19. RETURN OF THE RAT (Sage) from 1992
          20. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT – from 1991
          DISC 3
          1. RAPE ME (acoustic) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1992
          2. RAPE ME (electric) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1992
          3. SCENTLESS APPRENTICE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1992
          4. HEART SHAPED BOX - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          5. I HATE MYSELF AND I WANT TO DIE from 1993
          6. MILK IT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          7. MOIST VAGINA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          8. GALLONS OF RUBBING ALCOHOL FLOW THROUGH THE STRIP from 1993
          9. THE OTHER IMPROV - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          10. SERVE THE SERVANTS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          11. VERY APE - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          12. PENNYROYAL TEA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1993
          13. MARIGOLD (Grohl) from 1993
          14. SAPPY (retitled ³Verse Chorus Verse² for release) from 1993
          15. JESUS DOESN¹T WANT ME FOR A SUNBEAM (Kelly, McKee) - PREVIOUSLY
          UNRELEASED from 1994
          16. DO RE MI - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1994.
          17. YOU KNOW YOU¹RE RIGHT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED from 1994
          18. ALL APOLOGIES - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (undated)

          DISC 4 (DVD)
          1. Love Buzz (Leeuwen)
          2. Scoff
          3. About A Girl
          4. Big Long Now
          5. Immigrant Song (Page, Plant)
          6. Spank Thru
          7. Hairspray Queen
          8. School
          9. Mr. Moustache
          Tracks 1-9 all previously unreleased from 1988
          10. Big Cheese – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED(1989)
          11. In Bloom - Sub Pop Video (1989)
          12. SAPPY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
          13. SCHOOL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
          14. LOVE BUZZ (Leeuwen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
          15. PENNYROYAL TEA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
          16. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
          17. TERRITORIAL PISSINGS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
          16. JESUS DOESN'T WANT ME FOR A SUNBEAM (Kelly, McKee) - PREVIOUSLY
          UNRELEASED (1991)
          17. Talk To Me - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1992)

          18. Seasons In The Sun (Brel, McKuen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1993)

          --
        • Linda Maxwell
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2004
            Excellent. Thanks, Jim - it looks awesome

            Linda M

> [...]
            > 4. Big Long Now
            > 5. Immigrant Song (Page, Plant)
            > 6. Spank Thru
            > 7. Hairspray Queen
            > 8. School
            > 9. Mr. Moustache
            > Tracks 1-9 all previously unreleased from 1988
            > 10. Big Cheese – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED(1989)
            > 11. In Bloom - Sub Pop Video (1989)
            > 12. SAPPY - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
            > 13. SCHOOL - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
            > 14. LOVE BUZZ (Leeuwen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1990)
            > 15. PENNYROYAL TEA - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
            > 16. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
            > 17. TERRITORIAL PISSINGS - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1991)
            > 16. JESUS DOESN'T WANT ME FOR A SUNBEAM (Kelly, McKee) - PREVIOUSLY
            > UNRELEASED (1991)
            > 17. Talk To Me - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1992)
            >
            > 18. Seasons In The Sun (Brel, McKuen) - PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (1993)

          • Dave Purcell
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
              Smilin' Jim wrote:

              > does anybody care about Nirvana anymore?

              I mentioned this somewhere else awhile back (Postcard, maybe) but
              Nirvana sounds terribly outdated to me. I can still occasionally listen
              to other stuff from that era, usually Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, but
              there's something about Nirvana that doesn't cut it for me. I don't mind
              the Unplugged stuff as much when I hear it, so maybe it's the production
              that bothers me. Dunno, but it didn't make the cut to my Zen player.

              dp
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2004
                --On Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:12 AM -0500 Dave Purcell
                <dap@...> wrote:

                > I mentioned this somewhere else awhile back (Postcard, maybe) but
                > Nirvana sounds terribly outdated to me. I can still occasionally listen
                > to other stuff from that era, usually Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, but
                > there's something about Nirvana that doesn't cut it for me. I don't mind
                > the Unplugged stuff as much when I hear it, so maybe it's the production
                > that bothers me. Dunno, but it didn't make the cut to my Zen player.

                Nirvana have aged better for me than the other two bands you mentioned,
                though I admit my favorite thing about Pearl Jam by far was Eddie Vedder's
                friendship with Jack McDowell. (Though since the early 90s, Jeff Ament's
                help on Dan Pearson's Clodhopper project would constitute Pearl Jam-related
                music I actually enjoy.) Sometimes I still get "In Bloom" in my head and
                can't get it out...though sometimes it's Graham Parker's cover and not the
                original.

                Carl Z.
              • thekrueg1
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dap@p...> wrote:
                  > Smilin' Jim wrote:
                  >
                  > > does anybody care about Nirvana anymore?
                  >
                  > I mentioned this somewhere else awhile back (Postcard, maybe) but
                  Nirvana sounds terribly outdated to me. I can still occasionally
                  listen to other stuff from that era, usually Soundgarden or Pearl
                  Jam, but there's something about Nirvana that doesn't cut it for me.
                  I don't mind the Unplugged stuff as much when I hear it, so maybe
                  it's the production that bothers me. Dunno, but it didn't make the
                  cut to my Zen player.

                  > dp

                  I must beg to differ, too. My daughter -- a high school freshman --
                  and her friends are big Nirvana fans, and those songs sure sound
                  great when they're cranking in her room. She'll be all over the box
                  set I'm sure. It does hurt a little, though, when I hear her
                  turning on her classmates to this "really great *old* band called
                  Nirvana."

                  Tom (Who's taken advantage of the adolescents' instinctive
                  attraction to pained, sensitive dead guys to turn her into a big
                  Elliott Smith fan, too.)
                • Dave Purcell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
                    The Krueg wrote:

                    <<Tom (Who's taken advantage of the adolescents' instinctive attraction
                    to pained, sensitive dead guys to turn her into a big Elliott Smith fan,
                    too.)>>

                    Just wait until she starts bringing them home for dates, heh
                    heh...(pained sensitive guys, that is...not dead ones).

                    dp