Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on October 28, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on October 28, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Barbara Randolph - Can I Get A Witness - Marvel Of Marvin*
      [ For the price of a single CD, you get one CD with choice
      Marvin Gaye soul covers recorded in the 60s & 70s from the likes of
      Otis Redding & Carla Thomas, Fred Wesley & The JBs, Pucho & The Latin
      Soul Brothers, Gladys Knight, etc. and a second CD with a 41 minute
      mix set of many of the tracks by 4 Hero. This mix combines a live
      introduction and music interlude of Marvin Gaye with this terrific
      cover by Barbara Randolph. ]

      James & Bobby Purify - I'm Your Puppet - Shake A Tail Feather!

      Ike & Tina Turner - Am I A Fool In Love - The Soul Of Sue: The UK
      Sue Label Story Vol. 2*
      [ This is a brand new compilation which features 25 tracks of
      soul released by the UK label in the 60s. This label was run by Guy
      Stevens who also was noted for being the manic producer of "London
      Calling" by The Clash, as a DJ in the 60s who supplied the Rolling
      Stones and other English musical artists with obscure soul & R&B
      recordings, and for producing Mott The Hoople. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Harlem Shuffle - Soul Men

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Cracking Up - Playback
      [ This Nick Lowe cover was originally a B-side on a single "Make
      It Better (Forget About Me)" released in 1985 and was later included
      on this box set. ]

      Nick Lowe - And So It Goes - Pure Pop For Now People
      [ Nick Lowe mania continues. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bruce Springsteen - My Ride's Here - Enjoy Every Sandwich: The
      Songs Of Warren Zevon*
      [ I saw this when I came into the studio and figured this track
      ought to really work. This is a live recording and that's about all I
      can tell you since I got a phone call during the song and missed most
      of it. How's that for hard-hitting analysis? ]

      Amy Rigby - The Summer Of My Wasted Youth - 18 Again

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Mark Lanegan Band - Hit The City - Bubblegum

      The Libertines - The Man Who Would Be King - The Libertines
      [ If it weren't for the new Green Day album, this would probaly
      be my choice, so far, for best rock album of the year. ]

      Jonathan Richman - Vampire Girl - You Must Ask The Heart

      Dr. Samuel Hoffman - Theremin Solo - Brain In A Box: The Science
      Ficton Collection
      [ This is the first theremin solo ever featured on Memphis To
      Manchester. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Invincibles - Nobody - Double Shot Of Soul*
      [ The Invincibles did a soul classic called "Heart Full Of Love"
      and that's all I've ever heard from them until this more upbeat song
      appearing on this new compilation which features soul recordings put
      out on the Los Angeles-based Double Shot label and it's Whiz
      subsidiary between 1967-70. ]

      The Staple Singers - When Will We Paid For The Work We Did - The
      Ultimate Staple Singers: A Family Affair 1955-1984*
      [ Please don't forget to vote on November 2nd & don't sit idly
      by & let others make your decisions for you. ]

      The Chi-Lites - For God's Sake Give More Power To The People - Mojo
      Presents Soul Riot

      -------- - -------- - --------

      X - See How We Are - See How We Are
      [ I think this X song and the following Los Lobos song come from
      the same place. ]

      Los Lobos - One Time One Night - By The Light Of The Moon

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Tom Waits - Day After Tomorrow - Real Gone*

      Randy Newman - Mr. President (Have Pity On The Working Man) - Good
      Old Boys

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Blasters - Common Man - Testament
      [ CCR meets Downey, CA in this song with lyrics as relevant
      today as when they were written in 1985. ]

      Robyn Hitchcock - Creeped Out - Spooked*

      Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Little Demon - Loud, Fast, & Out Of Control+
      [ This one listener always manages to make a request for a song
      that I had with me the week before but not currently. Finally, I was
      able to honor one of his requests. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Tim Lee - I Wanna Believe - No Discretion
      [ Appearing at Frederick's Music Lounge this Saturday (10/30)
      along with the Walnut Street Gang & The Good Griefs. ]

      Creedence Clearwater Revival - It Came Out Of The Sky - Willie &
      The Poor Boys
      [ Be afraid. Be very afraid. ]

      Buck Owens - (It's A) Monster's Holiday - The Buck Owens Collection

      The Five Blobs - The Blob - Loud, Fast & Out Of Control
      [ The Blob - Steve McQueen's finest cinematic accomplishment. ]

      Johnny Fuller - Haunted House - The Specialty Story

      The Pogues - Worms - If I Should Fall From Grace With God

      Jackie Morningstar - Rockin' In The Graveyard - Loud, Fast, & Out
      Of Control

      The Frantics - Werewolf - Stomp! Northwest Killers 1960-64