halloween/election day song suggestions

  • jason baldinger
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
      howdieeee

      I was thinking that next week instead of doing the same old Halloween show, I could change it up a bit by tossing in some Election Day/Presidential songs. I know we've covered Regan well on this list, anyone got any other suggestions. So far I have:

      Tom T Hall- The Monkey Who Became President
      Isley Brothers- Ohio/Machine Gun
      Neil Young- Deep Forbidden Lake
      The Long Hard Road to Washington/ Buffalo to Washington- Traditional Ballad
      Randy Newman- Louisiana 1927
      Abbie Lincoln and Max Roach- Song which I can't remeber the name, but is on the Bittersweet Percusion record

      Anything else you may have, let me know
      Thanks
      Jason Baldinger

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
        --On Friday, October 22, 2004 7:12 AM -0700 jason baldinger
        <underwaterculprit@...> wrote:

        > Tom T Hall- The Monkey Who Became President
        > Isley Brothers- Ohio/Machine Gun
        > Neil Young- Deep Forbidden Lake
        > The Long Hard Road to Washington/ Buffalo to Washington- Traditional
        > Ballad Randy Newman- Louisiana 1927

        Ev'ry Man a King is another gem from that album.

        > Abbie Lincoln and Max Roach- Song which I can't remeber the name, but is
        > on the Bittersweet Percusion record
        > Anything else you may have, let me know

        Game Theory, Throwing the Election
        Daryl Fleming's disc about the presidents
        Leonard Cohen, Democracy
        Carmaig de Forest, George Bush Lies (available on
        <http://carmaig.com/georgebushlies.html>)
        Stevie Wonder, Big Brother

        If I think of more, I'll post 'em,
        Carl Z.
      • Kevin J. Hosey
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
          Right off the top of my stubbly head, there's "Elected" by Alice Cooper.

          Kevin
          http://Buffaloroots.com

          On Friday, October 22, 2004, at 10:12 AM, jason baldinger wrote:

          > howdieeee
          >
          > I was thinking that next week instead of doing the same old Halloween
          > show, I could change it up a bit by tossing in some Election
          > Day/Presidential songs. I know we've covered Regan well on this list,
          > anyone got any other suggestions. So far I have:
          >
          > Tom T Hall- The Monkey Who Became President
          > Isley Brothers- Ohio/Machine Gun
          > Neil Young- Deep Forbidden Lake
          > The Long Hard Road to Washington/ Buffalo to Washington- Traditional
          > Ballad
          > Randy Newman- Louisiana 1927
          > Abbie Lincoln and Max Roach- Song which I can't remeber the name, but
          > is on the Bittersweet Percusion record
          >
          > Anything else you may have, let me know
          > Thanks
          > Jason Baldinger
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
            "Date With A Vampire" is a great halloween song if you can find it. It's by
            the Screaming Tribesman.

            steve
          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
              > Right off the top of my stubbly head, there's "Elected" by Alice Cooper.

              That reminds me, "Elected" by the Sun and the Moon.

              Sheesh, let's see if I can pick something from the last two decades?

              stev
            • Kevin J. Hosey
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 22, 2004
                I guess the Dream Syndicate's "Halloween" is a bit more than two
                decades old, but ...

                Kevin
                http:/Buffaloroots.com

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                  --On Saturday, October 23, 2004 2:02 AM -0400 "Kevin J. Hosey"
                  <kjhosey@...> wrote:

                  > I guess the Dream Syndicate's "Halloween" is a bit more than two
                  > decades old, but ...

                  It's sorta cheating, but the Roky Erickson tribute _When the Pyramid Meets
                  the Eye_ is less than two decades old (though the songs were written before
                  1984) and several tracks are perfect fodder for fright night music. My
                  favorite music for Halloween is older (acid casualty freakouts like
                  Fleetwood Mac's "Green Manalishi" and Moby Grape's "Seeing"), but there's
                  plenty of more recent stuff by the likes of Nick Cave and Barry Adamson to
                  mix up a real good playlist.

                  The scariest song of all is the Shaggs' "It's Halloween."

                  scary stuff, eh kids?
                  Carl Z.
                  who watched Bloodsucking Monkeys from West Mifflin last night courtesy of
                  the new SCTV DVD set
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 23, 2004
                    ...and getting back to Jason's request for election-themed songs, the
                    topical nature of American Music Club's "Patriots Heart" is joined by un
                    unsettling arrangement.

                    Carl Z.
                    NP: Camper Van Beethoven, "I Hate This Part of Texas"
                  • Mock the DJ
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 24, 2004
                      >From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
                      >
                      >My
                      >favorite music for Halloween is older (acid casualty freakouts like
                      >Fleetwood Mac's "Green Manalishi"

                      Which Judas Priest covered as well...

                      And didn't the Talking Heads have a song about the Government on one of
                      their early LPs?

                      -Paul