fine singer/songwriter records

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2002
      --On Saturday, August 10, 2002 5:58 PM +0200 Aleksandar Lazarevic
      <lavac@...> wrote:

      > Anyone realized that
      > there wasn't too good singer/songwritter folk albums this year. I'd like
      > someone to tell me i'm not right and give me a few examples.

      You're not right. <g>

      Linda Thompson, _Fashionably Late_
      Christy McWilson, _Bed of Roses_
      David Grubbs, _Rickets & Scurvy_

      Depending on your interpretation of the genre:
      Peter Jefferies, _Closed Circuit_ (one-man band, maybe more chamber-rock
      reminiscent of John Cale, definite contender for album-of-the-year)
      Jim Roll, _Inhabiting the Ball_ (his best yet)
      Marlee MacLeod, _Like Hollywood_
      Warren Zevon, _My Ride's Here_
      Paul Kelly, _...Nothing But a Dream_ (released in some territories in 2001,
      others in 2002)

      She'll beat me up if I put her record in this category:
      Kelly Kessler, _The Salt of Your Skin_ (another of this year's very best
      releases in any genre)

      Supposedly Chris Cacavas has a record coming out! New Cacavas and McMurtry
      records in the same season? There is much joy in my house.

      (For those unfamiliar with the work of ex-Green on Red keyboardist Cacavas,
      if you like the lonesome vocals of Neil Young and the roots-rock scare of
      1985 appeals to you, he's got some good stuff. I love his _Anonymous_.)

      Carl Z.
      NP: Jack Logan & Bob Kimbell, _Woodshedding_. This doesn't count, does it?
      Tasty stuff.