Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on October 14, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on October 14, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Staple Singers - For What It's Worth - The Ulimate Staple
      Singers: A Family Affair 1955-84*
      [ This is just a killer take of the Buffalo Springfield song.
      The great thing about this 2-CD import compilation from Kent Records
      is that it's the first-ever Staple Singers retrospective that covers
      virtually their entire recording career (on all the different record
      labels they were on such as Epic, Stax, and Vee-Jay) as a group, from
      1953 to 1984. ]

      Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair - There's A Riot Goin' On
      [ This album is way more downbeat in tone than it's predecessors
      but it's got that hypnotic groove thing going and some amazing
      songs. This one was really the only hit, though. ]

      The Soul Clan - That's How It Feels - Sanctified Soul
      [ The Soul Clan was a soul supergroup (made up of Solomon Burke,
      Arthur Conley, Don Covay, Ben E. King, and Joe Tex) that never was
      able to really get much going. A single was the sum of their
      recording output. This was the b-side and was co-written by Don Covay
      & Bobby Womack. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bettye Swann - Willie & Laura Mae Jones - Bettye Swann*
      [ This cover version of the Tony Joe White song is just one of
      many highlights on this terrific compilation recently put out on the
      EMI/Honest Jon's (UK) record label. ]

      Buddy Miller - Worry Too Much - Universal United House Of Prayer*
      [ I consider this country-soul....others might not. One of the
      best albums of 2004, in my opinion. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Little Milton - Grits Ain't Groceries (All Around The Word) - Soul
      Shots - Vol. 4
      [ Appearing at the Pageant this Sunday (10/17) as part of the
      Oliver Sain Soul Reunion. Other artists appearing include Fontella
      Bass, Soulard Blues Band, Oliver Sain Revue, Uvee Hayes, and a host
      of others. ]

      Fontella Bass - The Soul Of A Man - Chess Soul
      [ Anybody lucky enough to be at The Pageant during the Brown-
      Eyed Handsome Man CD release party to benefit KDHX heard how great
      Fontella Bass sang this Oliver Sain song. If you missed it, you have
      another chance to hear it again at the Pageant this Sunday (10/17) as
      part of the Oliver Sain Soul Reunion. This 1965 recorded version
      features the tenor sax, piano, and arrangement of Oliver Sain. ]

      Aretha Franklin - Save Me - I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You
      [ OK, if this album is not the top soul album of all time, it's
      certainly among the top ten. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Elvis Costello - The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love - The Delivery
      Man*

      Tom Waits - Down Down Down - Swordfishtrombones

      The Dresden Dolls - Coin-Operated Boy - The Dresden Dolls
      [ Appearing on Saturday (11/6) at Mississippi Nights. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The New Pornographers - Graceland - Matador At Fifteen*
      [ This 2-CD,1-DVD set was just released this week. Disc 1
      features hits of Matador recording artists over the last 15 years.
      Disc 2 features unreleased songs and/or rarities by Matador recording
      artists. Disc 3 is a DVD which features videos of various Matador
      artists. Bargain priced & makes for a really good sampler. This New
      Pornographers song was unreleased and would have fit right in on
      their last release, "Electric Version." ]

      The Delays - Hey Girl - Faded Seaside Glamour
      [ This song was a request and is pop perfection from the
      Scottish group on Sanctuary Records. ]

      The Features - Blow It Out - Exhibit A*
      [ More great pop - this time out of Sparta, TN. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Nerves - When You Find Out - The Nerves EP

      The Gentleman Callers - Ramona Say Yes - Brown Eyed Handsome Man*
      [ There is a really good story about this Chuck Berry tribute CD
      in last Sunday's (10/10) edition of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. You
      can also go to it at http://makeashorterlink.com/?S6C013889 ]

      Kirsty MacColl - There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's
      Elvis - Desperate Character

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bruce Springsteen - Johnny 99 - Nebraska+

      Li'l Cap'n Travis - Steady As She Goes - In All Their Splendor
      [ Appearing at Frederick's Music Lounge a week from Saturday
      (10/23) as part of the CD release party for Two Cow Garages' latest
      CD "The Wall Against Our Back." This is the first St. Louis
      appearance for Li'l Cap'n Travis (Austin, TX) and the Radio Nationals
      (Seattle, WA). ]

      The Damnations - Things I Once Adored - Half Mad Moon

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Joe South - Games People Play - Anthology
      [ Oh the games people play now /
      Every night and every day now /
      Never meaning what they say now /
      And never saying what they mean /

      And they while away the hours /
      In their ivory towers /
      'Till they're covered up with flowers /
      In the back of a black limousine
      ]

      Two Cow Garage - 135 - The Wall Against Our Backs*
      [ This is being released on 10/1904. Two Garage is having their
      CD release party at Frederick's Music Lounge on Saturday (10/23)
      along with Li'l Cap'n Travis & the Radio Nationals. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Magnetic Fields - Kiss Me Like You Mean It - 69 Love Songs -
      Vol. 2

      S.A. Garrison and D. Luke - High Dosage - Saved By The Great Yellow
      Bird
      [ I first heard a beautiful version of this song on the new
      Sally Timms release called "In the World of Him." I had no idea who
      Sean Garrison was who wrote this song & mentioned it on an earlier
      play list featuring the Sally Timms version. Anyway, I received an e-
      mail from Sally Timms stating that Sean Garrison is a Louisvile
      singer-songwriter who is a "great, undiscovered talent." She said a 2-
      CD set of his songs was available at
      http://www.buymusichere.net/rel/v2_viewupc.php?
      storenr=11&upc=1248796312L
      That's where I got this and you can look forward to hearing some more
      Sean Garrison songs in the future on Memphis To Manchester. ]

      Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Tell The Boys - Oh, My Girl

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Sons Of The Pioneers - Old Man Atom - Like An Atom Bomb
      [ Nothing like a set with an atomic power thread. ]

      Warren Smith - Uranium Rock - Songs The Cramps Taught Us - Vol. 3

      H-Bomb Ferguson - Good Lovin' - Rhytyhm Riot!

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bill Haley & His Comets - Dim, Dim The Lights (I Want Some
      Atmosphere) - Rock Around The Clock

      Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Air Show - The World Is Waiting For A
      Sunrise - Jon Rauhouse's Steel Guitar Air Show
      [ If the voice on this song sounds familiar to listeners of M2M,
      that's because it's Neko Case. ]

      The Bobby Fuller Four - Love's Made A Fool Of You - I Fought The
      Law / KRLA: King Of The Wheels

      Ivan (and The Crickets) - Real Wild Child - Rhythm Riot!

      The Sonics - He's Waiting - Songs The Cramps Taught Us - Vol. 3

      Jerry Warren - Rompin' - Songs The Cramps Taught Us - Vol. 3