Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Clip: Pogues reissue/reunion news

  • rickkelly1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
      In a message dated 10/8/2004 10:39:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "andyb240658" <a.s.benham@...> writes:

      last
      >years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage for
      >half the performance.
      >
      >Andy

      when he WAS there, was he singing well, or was he the slobbering wretch that appears in that documentary?

      i thought that was just so sad.
    • Justin Hopper
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
        >> last years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage
        for
        >>half the performance.

        I saw the Brixton Academy one in 2001, and Shane was actually fantastic -
        the whole band was great. In fact, some drunk OLD Celtic fan in the bathroom
        blathered on about it being the best Pogues gig he'd seen... although I
        think that guy could'a been at a Prez debate and thought it was the best
        Pogues gig he'd been to...

        More importantly, I met some Elvis-fanatic Zider-Zwillers from Somerset
        who'd never been to London before and thought the very concept of
        "Pittsburgh" was damn-near MAGICAL. Pittsburgh doesn't get you too much
        pull, but I guess when Glastonbury's the "big city," it might as well be
        Paris.

        juddy

        Justin Hopper
        Music Editor
        Pittsburgh City Paper
        650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        www.pghcitypaper.com
        phone: 412-316-3342 x165
        fax: 412-316-3388
        jhopper@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
          "andyb240658" <a.s.benham@b...> writes:

          > last
          > >years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage for
          > >half the performance.
          > >
          > >Andy
          > >

          > when he WAS there, was he singing well, or was he the slobbering
          wretch that appears in that documentary?

          > i thought that was just so sad.

          I'd seen that doc. and other footage and was expecting the worse, but
          I have to say he was excellent, although I have no idea what he was
          upto offstage. The band, of course, were as tight as a ducks ****.

          Andy
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2004
            --On Friday, October 8, 2004 11:02 AM -0400 Justin Hopper
            <jhopper@...> wrote:

            > More importantly, I met some Elvis-fanatic Zider-Zwillers from Somerset
            > who'd never been to London before and thought the very concept of
            > "Pittsburgh" was damn-near MAGICAL. Pittsburgh doesn't get you too much
            > pull, but I guess when Glastonbury's the "big city," it might as well be
            > Paris.

            Hey, you may recall Sally Timms was enchanted enough to inquire about house
            prices a few years ago!

            Carl "the street grid is magical...or at least supernatural" Z.
          • Justin Hopper
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
              This is my current favorite piece of music writing, an online review from
              "hitthepit.com" of Vancouver metal geeks 3 Inches of Blood's new album.

              The best part is "the best part of [the singer] is not in fact his pipes,
              but his mind." then quotes the AMAZING lyrics...

              juddy

              3 Inches of Blood
              "Advance and Vanquish"
              Roadrunner Records

              REAL METAL IS BACK! Asyou get older you find that everything that was once
              good, always comes back again. Thus is the case with 3 Inches Of Blood's
              sound. With Iron Maiden, Dream Theatre, Judas Priest, and Queensryche
              stepping into the twilight of their careers, it is only fitting that 3
              Inches Of Blood would step into the spotlight and make the metal circle
              complete!

              3 Inches of Blood Technical, thrashy, slaying, evil, war obsessed, these are
              all words to describe the band. And let me tell you about Cam Pipes!
              (yep...it is his real name) CAM PIPES? Are you kidding? Is that not a rock
              star name or what? It almost a better name then Rob Halford and Bruce
              Dickinson! And vocally, he hits high notes that makes you wonder if he has
              wild berries for nuts. Not to mention that the best part of Mr.Pipes is not
              in fact his pipes, but his mind. Try some of these classic lyrics on for
              size:

              "Flash of iron, leather,spikes and swords. Mighty warriors with metal on
              their side. Enemies of metal, death is our reward!" -Deadly Sinners

              "Deceivers flesh ripped off his wretched bones. REVENGE! Revenge is a
              vulture, his head placed on a pike for all to see. A lesson learned for all
              of the usurpers to the throne!" - Revenge Is A Vulture

              "Flaming arrows from the sky, the massacre begins. Order turns to chaos, no
              hope to win! The tyrant is here to take up your throne, he'll take your head
              before taking your crown."

              HA! Fucking awesome! Old school metal right there kiddies! Blazing guitar
              solos, lighting fast licks, musically 3IOB is a fret board extravaganza.
              Meanwhile Cam is a sick fuck that can sing with the legends! If you like the
              before mentioned bands, then this is a record you must have. I would also be
              remiss if I did not mention Kernon and Colin Richardson who constructed the
              perfect sound for these retro lunatics!
            • Kevin J. Hosey
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
                Man, I'm all but wordless; if I could only reach such heights on our
                Web site ...

                Kevin Knuckles; yeah, it's my REAL name ...
                http://Buffaloroots.com

                On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, at 08:41 AM, Justin Hopper wrote:

                > This is my current favorite piece of music writing, an online review
                > from
                > "hitthepit.com" of Vancouver metal geeks 3 Inches of Blood's new album.
                >
                > The best part is "the best part of [the singer] is not in fact his
                > pipes,
                > but his mind." then quotes the AMAZING lyrics...
                >
                > juddy
                >

                > 3 Inches of Blood
                > "Advance and Vanquish"
                > Roadrunner Records
                >
                > REAL METAL IS BACK! Asyou get older you find that everything that was
                > once
                > good, always comes back again. Thus is the case with 3 Inches Of
                > Blood's
                > sound. With Iron Maiden, Dream Theatre, Judas Priest, and Queensryche
                > stepping into the twilight of their careers, it is only fitting that 3
                > Inches Of Blood would step into the spotlight and make the metal circle
                > complete!
                >
                > 3 Inches of Blood Technical, thrashy, slaying, evil, war obsessed,
                > these are
                > all words to describe the band. And let me tell you about Cam Pipes!
                > (yep...it is his real name) CAM PIPES? Are you kidding? Is that not a
                > rock
                > star name or what? It almost a better name then Rob Halford and Bruce
                > Dickinson! And vocally, he hits high notes that makes you wonder if he
                > has
                > wild berries for nuts. Not to mention that the best part of Mr.Pipes
                > is not
                > in fact his pipes, but his mind. Try some of these classic lyrics on
                > for
                > size:
                >
                > "Flash of iron, leather,spikes and swords. Mighty warriors with metal
                > on
                > their side. Enemies of metal, death is our reward!" -Deadly Sinners
                >
                > "Deceivers flesh ripped off his wretched bones. REVENGE! Revenge is a
                > vulture, his head placed on a pike for all to see. A lesson learned
                > for all
                > of the usurpers to the throne!" - Revenge Is A Vulture
                >
                > "Flaming arrows from the sky, the massacre begins. Order turns to
                > chaos, no
                > hope to win! The tyrant is here to take up your throne, he'll take
                > your head
                > before taking your crown."
                >
                > HA! Fucking awesome! Old school metal right there kiddies! Blazing
                > guitar
                > solos, lighting fast licks, musically 3IOB is a fret board
                > extravaganza.
                > Meanwhile Cam is a sick fuck that can sing with the legends! If you
                > like the
                > before mentioned bands, then this is a record you must have. I would
                > also be
                > remiss if I did not mention Kernon and Colin Richardson who
                > constructed the
                > perfect sound for these retro lunatics!
              • Steve Berry
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 14, 2004
                  Oh, I don't know, Kevin -- I think your website is wonderful and the writing is spot-on!

                  -- SteveB

                  Message: 1
                  Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:37:16 -0400
                  From: Kevin J. Hosey <kjhosey@...>
                  Subject: Re: Fine Music Writing

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 14, 2004
                    Well, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that and swear I wasn't trolling
                    for compliments.

                    Kevin
                    http://Buffaloroots.com

                  • rickkelly1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15, 2004
                      In a message dated 10/15/2004 12:32:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kevin J. Hosey" <kjhosey@...> writes:

                      >Well, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that and swear I wasn't trolling
                      >for compliments.
                      >
                      >Kevin

                      And you're a great dancer, and a snappy dresser, too!
                    • Kevin J. Hosey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 16, 2004
                        On Friday, October 15, 2004, at 10:10 AM, rickkelly1@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 10/15/2004 12:32:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > "Kevin J. Hosey" <kjhosey@...> writes:
                        >

                        >> Well, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that and swear I wasn't trolling
                        >> for compliments.
                        >>
                        >> Kevin
                        >

                        > And you're a great dancer, and a snappy dresser, too!

                        OK, OK, we'll put up a new photo of Val and I at the Web site; but only
                        because you asked for it ..

                        Kevin
                        http://Buffaloroots.com