Clip: Pogues reissue/reunion news

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
      <http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-10/07.shtml#story4>

      Pogues Reissue Catalog as Reunion Hype Mounts

      Matt Amis reports:
      Irish/toothless punk legends The Pogues are getting set to reissue
      expanded, remastered editions of all seven of their studio albums, drumming
      up attention for their reunion tour taking place in December. The new
      versions of Red Roses for Me, Rum, Sodomy & The Lash, If I Should Fall from
      Grace with God, Peace and Love, Hell's Ditch, Waiting for Herb, and Pogue
      Mahone are scheduled for release on November 5th.

      The albums will contain a total of 36 bonus tracks, most of which are
      previously unreleased. The booklets that line the discs will also feature
      previously unseen photographs, and notes of endearment from friends and
      fans such as Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Jim Jarmusch, Patrick McCabe, Matt
      Dillon, Bob Geldof, and Stuart Pearce-- although there's no indication of
      any endorsement from Elvis Costello as yet, which is odd given his
      production work on the band's classic Rum, Sodomy & The Lash.

      As we mentioned, The Pogues, probably best remembered for their wild and
      overwhelmingly fun live sets, will also get together this around Christmas
      to play a reunion tour consisting of eight dates around the UK. Along with
      the return of lead singer Shane MacGowan for this tour, The Pogues'
      original bassist Cait O'Riordan will also chip in on vocals. O'Riordan, you
      may recall, sang "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday" from Rum, Sodomy & The
      Lash, and evidently, that's enough to get you the gig. Dates:

      12-13 Glasgow, Scotland - Glasgow Academy
      12-14 Glasgow, Scotland - Glasgow Academy
      12-16 Newcastle, England - Newcastle Arena
      12-17 Birmingham, England - Birmingham Academy
      12-18 Manchester, England - Evening News Arena
      12-20 London, England - Brixton Academy
      12-21 London, England - Brixton Academy
      12-23 Dublin, Ireland - Dublin Point Theatre

      .: Pitchfork Review: Pogues: Streams of Whiskey
      .: Pogues: http://www.pogues.com
    • rickkelly1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
        In a message dated 10/8/2004 9:21:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Carl Zimring <cz28@...> writes:

        >Matt Amis reports:
        The Pogues'
        >original bassist Cait O'Riordan will also chip in on vocals. O'Riordan, you
        >may recall, sang "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday" from Rum, Sodomy & The
        >Lash, and evidently, that's enough to get you the gig.

        what the hell does that mean? she was part of the band, so why shouldn't she "get the gig" on the reunion tour?
      • andyb240658
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
          Zimring <cz28@a...> writes:

          > >Matt Amis reports:
          > The Pogues'
          > >original bassist Cait O'Riordan will also chip in on vocals.
          O'Riordan, you
          > >may recall, sang "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday" from Rum,
          Sodomy & The
          > >Lash, and evidently, that's enough to get you the gig.
          >

          > what the hell does that mean? she was part of the band, so why
          shouldn't she "get the gig" on the reunion tour?

          I don't know what it means either, however I'm fairly certain she
          wasn't part of last Xmas' reunion tour. This seems to be a regular
          event. Having said that I shall almost certainly be going again, last
          years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage for
          half the performance.

          Andy
        • rickkelly1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
            In a message dated 10/8/2004 10:39:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "andyb240658" <a.s.benham@...> writes:

            last
            >years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage for
            >half the performance.
            >
            >Andy

            when he WAS there, was he singing well, or was he the slobbering wretch that appears in that documentary?

            i thought that was just so sad.
          • Justin Hopper
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
              >> last years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage
              for
              >>half the performance.

              I saw the Brixton Academy one in 2001, and Shane was actually fantastic -
              the whole band was great. In fact, some drunk OLD Celtic fan in the bathroom
              blathered on about it being the best Pogues gig he'd seen... although I
              think that guy could'a been at a Prez debate and thought it was the best
              Pogues gig he'd been to...

              More importantly, I met some Elvis-fanatic Zider-Zwillers from Somerset
              who'd never been to London before and thought the very concept of
              "Pittsburgh" was damn-near MAGICAL. Pittsburgh doesn't get you too much
              pull, but I guess when Glastonbury's the "big city," it might as well be
              Paris.

              juddy

              Justin Hopper
              Music Editor
              Pittsburgh City Paper
              650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
              Pittsburgh, PA 15222
              www.pghcitypaper.com
              phone: 412-316-3342 x165
              fax: 412-316-3388
              jhopper@...

              Zimring <cz28@a...> writes:

              > >Matt Amis reports:
              > The Pogues'
              > >original bassist Cait O'Riordan will also chip in on vocals.
              O'Riordan, you
              > >may recall, sang "I'm a Man You Don't Meet Everyday" from Rum,
              Sodomy & The
              > >Lash, and evidently, that's enough to get you the gig.
              >

              > what the hell does that mean? she was part of the band, so why
              shouldn't she "get the gig" on the reunion tour?

              I don't know what it means either, however I'm fairly certain she
              wasn't part of last Xmas' reunion tour. This seems to be a regular
              event. Having said that I shall almost certainly be going again, last
              years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage for
              half the performance.

              Andy

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • andyb240658
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2004
                "andyb240658" <a.s.benham@b...> writes:

                > last
                > >years show was a hoot, not withstanding Shane only being on stage for
                > >half the performance.
                > >
                > >Andy
                > >

                > when he WAS there, was he singing well, or was he the slobbering
                wretch that appears in that documentary?

                > i thought that was just so sad.

                I'd seen that doc. and other footage and was expecting the worse, but
                I have to say he was excellent, although I have no idea what he was
                upto offstage. The band, of course, were as tight as a ducks ****.

                Andy
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 9, 2004
                  --On Friday, October 8, 2004 11:02 AM -0400 Justin Hopper
                  <jhopper@...> wrote:

                  > More importantly, I met some Elvis-fanatic Zider-Zwillers from Somerset
                  > who'd never been to London before and thought the very concept of
                  > "Pittsburgh" was damn-near MAGICAL. Pittsburgh doesn't get you too much
                  > pull, but I guess when Glastonbury's the "big city," it might as well be
                  > Paris.

                  Hey, you may recall Sally Timms was enchanted enough to inquire about house
                  prices a few years ago!

                  Carl "the street grid is magical...or at least supernatural" Z.
                • Justin Hopper
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
                    This is my current favorite piece of music writing, an online review from
                    "hitthepit.com" of Vancouver metal geeks 3 Inches of Blood's new album.

                    The best part is "the best part of [the singer] is not in fact his pipes,
                    but his mind." then quotes the AMAZING lyrics...

                    juddy

                    3 Inches of Blood
                    "Advance and Vanquish"
                    Roadrunner Records

                    REAL METAL IS BACK! Asyou get older you find that everything that was once
                    good, always comes back again. Thus is the case with 3 Inches Of Blood's
                    sound. With Iron Maiden, Dream Theatre, Judas Priest, and Queensryche
                    stepping into the twilight of their careers, it is only fitting that 3
                    Inches Of Blood would step into the spotlight and make the metal circle
                    complete!

                    3 Inches of Blood Technical, thrashy, slaying, evil, war obsessed, these are
                    all words to describe the band. And let me tell you about Cam Pipes!
                    (yep...it is his real name) CAM PIPES? Are you kidding? Is that not a rock
                    star name or what? It almost a better name then Rob Halford and Bruce
                    Dickinson! And vocally, he hits high notes that makes you wonder if he has
                    wild berries for nuts. Not to mention that the best part of Mr.Pipes is not
                    in fact his pipes, but his mind. Try some of these classic lyrics on for
                    size:

                    "Flash of iron, leather,spikes and swords. Mighty warriors with metal on
                    their side. Enemies of metal, death is our reward!" -Deadly Sinners

                    "Deceivers flesh ripped off his wretched bones. REVENGE! Revenge is a
                    vulture, his head placed on a pike for all to see. A lesson learned for all
                    of the usurpers to the throne!" - Revenge Is A Vulture

                    "Flaming arrows from the sky, the massacre begins. Order turns to chaos, no
                    hope to win! The tyrant is here to take up your throne, he'll take your head
                    before taking your crown."

                    HA! Fucking awesome! Old school metal right there kiddies! Blazing guitar
                    solos, lighting fast licks, musically 3IOB is a fret board extravaganza.
                    Meanwhile Cam is a sick fuck that can sing with the legends! If you like the
                    before mentioned bands, then this is a record you must have. I would also be
                    remiss if I did not mention Kernon and Colin Richardson who constructed the
                    perfect sound for these retro lunatics!
                  • Kevin J. Hosey
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 12, 2004
                      Man, I'm all but wordless; if I could only reach such heights on our
                      Web site ...

                      Kevin Knuckles; yeah, it's my REAL name ...
                      http://Buffaloroots.com

                      On Tuesday, October 12, 2004, at 08:41 AM, Justin Hopper wrote:

                      > This is my current favorite piece of music writing, an online review
                      > from
                      > "hitthepit.com" of Vancouver metal geeks 3 Inches of Blood's new album.
                      >
                      > The best part is "the best part of [the singer] is not in fact his
                      > pipes,
                      > but his mind." then quotes the AMAZING lyrics...
                      >
                      > juddy
                      >

                      > 3 Inches of Blood
                      > "Advance and Vanquish"
                      > Roadrunner Records
                      >
                      > REAL METAL IS BACK! Asyou get older you find that everything that was
                      > once
                      > good, always comes back again. Thus is the case with 3 Inches Of
                      > Blood's
                      > sound. With Iron Maiden, Dream Theatre, Judas Priest, and Queensryche
                      > stepping into the twilight of their careers, it is only fitting that 3
                      > Inches Of Blood would step into the spotlight and make the metal circle
                      > complete!
                      >
                      > 3 Inches of Blood Technical, thrashy, slaying, evil, war obsessed,
                      > these are
                      > all words to describe the band. And let me tell you about Cam Pipes!
                      > (yep...it is his real name) CAM PIPES? Are you kidding? Is that not a
                      > rock
                      > star name or what? It almost a better name then Rob Halford and Bruce
                      > Dickinson! And vocally, he hits high notes that makes you wonder if he
                      > has
                      > wild berries for nuts. Not to mention that the best part of Mr.Pipes
                      > is not
                      > in fact his pipes, but his mind. Try some of these classic lyrics on
                      > for
                      > size:
                      >
                      > "Flash of iron, leather,spikes and swords. Mighty warriors with metal
                      > on
                      > their side. Enemies of metal, death is our reward!" -Deadly Sinners
                      >
                      > "Deceivers flesh ripped off his wretched bones. REVENGE! Revenge is a
                      > vulture, his head placed on a pike for all to see. A lesson learned
                      > for all
                      > of the usurpers to the throne!" - Revenge Is A Vulture
                      >
                      > "Flaming arrows from the sky, the massacre begins. Order turns to
                      > chaos, no
                      > hope to win! The tyrant is here to take up your throne, he'll take
                      > your head
                      > before taking your crown."
                      >
                      > HA! Fucking awesome! Old school metal right there kiddies! Blazing
                      > guitar
                      > solos, lighting fast licks, musically 3IOB is a fret board
                      > extravaganza.
                      > Meanwhile Cam is a sick fuck that can sing with the legends! If you
                      > like the
                      > before mentioned bands, then this is a record you must have. I would
                      > also be
                      > remiss if I did not mention Kernon and Colin Richardson who
                      > constructed the
                      > perfect sound for these retro lunatics!
                    • Steve Berry
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 14, 2004
                        Oh, I don't know, Kevin -- I think your website is wonderful and the writing is spot-on!

                        -- SteveB

                        Message: 1
                        Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:37:16 -0400
                        From: Kevin J. Hosey <kjhosey@...>
                        Subject: Re: Fine Music Writing

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 14, 2004
                          Well, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that and swear I wasn't trolling
                          for compliments.

                          Kevin
                          http://Buffaloroots.com

                        • rickkelly1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 15, 2004
                            In a message dated 10/15/2004 12:32:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kevin J. Hosey" <kjhosey@...> writes:

                            >Well, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that and swear I wasn't trolling
                            >for compliments.
                            >
                            >Kevin

                            And you're a great dancer, and a snappy dresser, too!
                          • Kevin J. Hosey
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 16, 2004
                              On Friday, October 15, 2004, at 10:10 AM, rickkelly1@... wrote:

                              > In a message dated 10/15/2004 12:32:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              > "Kevin J. Hosey" <kjhosey@...> writes:
                              >

                              >> Well, thank you, Steve, I appreciate that and swear I wasn't trolling
                              >> for compliments.
                              >>
                              >> Kevin
                              >

                              > And you're a great dancer, and a snappy dresser, too!

                              OK, OK, we'll put up a new photo of Val and I at the Web site; but only
                              because you asked for it ..

                              Kevin
                              http://Buffaloroots.com