Clip: Son Volt Back in Studio

  • Barry Mazor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      October 6, 2004

      SON VOLT BACK IN STUDIO: NEW LINE-UP ANNOUNCED, ANTHOLOGY IN THE WORKS

      Jay Farrar's popular rock band persona, Son Volt, is heading back into the studio
      to record their fourth full-length studio album—the first new release since
      1998's Wide Swing Tremolo (Warner Bros. Records). This time around, though,
      fans will be seeing (and hearing) a different collection of side musicians
      performing with Farrar. After several months of discussions and planning with
      the original Son Volt players—Dave Boquist, Jim Boquist and Mike
      Heidorn—Farrar was unable to reach acceptable business terms with the original
      line-up. "Times change, and so do people, I guess," reflected Farrar. "While I
      was looking forward to the reunion aspect of working with those guys, it just
      wasn't meant to be. It'll be liberating to get down to work with a different group
      of musicians. I had always envisioned Son Volt as a vehicle for my songwriting
      and expected it to evolve over the years. When I reformed the original band this
      year to record our track for Por Vida [the Alejandro Escovedo benefit album (Or
      Music)], it seemed like we might be able to extend that two-day session into two
      years of recording and touring--but it doesn't look that way now."

      With fifteen Son Volt songs written, studio time booked and engineer John
      Agnello on board, Farrar now plans to commence recording in St. Louis on
      October 12. Currently set to collaborate with Farrar on these sessions are Brad
      Rice (guitar--Tift Merritt, Ryan Adams), Andrew Duplantis (bass—Jon Dee
      Graham, Meat Puppets, Bob Mould), Eric Heywood (pedal steel—Son Volt,
      Calexico) and Dave Bryson (drums—Canyon). Fans will have access to these
      sessions through web cameras installed in the studio beginning October 12,
      providing a very rare glimpse into Farrar's recording process as it actually
      unfolds. Access to these cameras (and other behind-the-scenes material) will be
      available at <http://www.jayfarrar.net/webcam>www.jayfarrar.net/webcam.

      Also on the Son Volt horizon is an anthology of material from the first three
      Warner Bros. albums—including rare or previously unreleased soundtrack cuts,
      live tracks, demos and unreleased studio recordings from that era. This
      anthology, the new studio album, plus a long-awaited tour are all slated for
      mid-2005.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        --On Wednesday, October 6, 2004 7:47 PM +0000 Barry Mazor
        <brmaz@...> clipped:

        > Currently set to collaborate with Farrar on these sessions
        > are Brad Rice (guitar--Tift Merritt, Ryan Adams), Andrew Duplantis
        > (bass?Jon Dee Graham, Meat Puppets, Bob Mould), Eric Heywood (pedal
        > steel?Son Volt, Calexico) and Dave Bryson (drums?Canyon).

        That's a promising lineup, but I wonder why he's bothering calling it Son
        Volt? An attempt at symmetry with the Jeff Tweedy Project?

        Carl Z.
      • Barry Mazor
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > I wonder why he's bothering calling it Son Volt?

          The really big bucks??

          (I dunno. I assume this means that this band will go out with the songs on this
          record, and also play Son Volt songs. It's a Jay Farrar cover band?)
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2004
            --On Thursday, October 7, 2004 8:24 PM +0000 Barry Mazor
            <brmaz@...> wrote:
            > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
            >> I wonder why he's bothering calling it Son Volt?
            >
            > The really big bucks??

            It'd be fun to see the reaction if he called the band Uncle Tupelo.

            > (I dunno. I assume this means that this band will go out with the songs
            > on this record, and also play Son Volt songs. It's a Jay Farrar cover
            > band?)

            I am happy to see EH on steel guitar, and DuPlantis can provide harmony
            vocals -- if that's what the band leader wants.