Steve's WXDU Playlist for 9/29/04

  • steve@topsoil.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      Come on out to the Federal tonight. I'll be DJing there.

      And I'm actually DJing right now. How efficient is that? Sending out the
      playlist before the shift is even over? Wow, multi-tasking.

      steve
      wed 7-9am on wxdu.org

      7am
      ==
      *Sam Phillips/All Night/A Boot And A Shoe/Nonesuch
      [From her new one. Sounds great on first listen.]
      *Tupelo Chain Sex/The Dream/Spot The Difference/Selma
      [Ok, this was a near-hit on college radio in 1985...and probably hasn't
      been heard since.]
      *Gavin Friday and the Man Seezer/Next/Each Man Kills The Thing He
      Loves/Island
      [A fine album from the end of the 80s. This song is by Jacques Brel.]
      *The Helio Sequence/Looks Good (But You Looked Away)/Love and Distance/Sub
      Pop
      [Great CD. I'd definitely recommend this to Flaming Lips fans.]

      *The Small Knives/Flashlight/Rain on Tin/Candle
      [I don't know anything about this band, but I really loved this track.
      Sounds kinda like the Mojave 3 stuff that features pedal steel.]
      *Jake Brennan and the Confidence Men/Two Of A Kind/Love & Bombs/Yep Roc
      [Rootsy rock a la Marah or Bruce Springsteen. In fact, they'll be opening
      for Marah at the Pour House on (YepR)October 10th.]
      *Marah/East/20,000 Streets Under The Sky/Yep Roc

      *Rogue Wave/Postage Stamp World/Out of the Shadow/Sub Pop
      *Logh/End Cycle/The Raging Sun/Bad Taste
      *Gotan Project/La Del Ruso (Calexico Version)/Inspiracion – Espiracion/XL
      [New tracks and remixes from the Gotan Project.]
      *Ween/Buenas Tardes Amigos/Chocolate and Cheese/Elektra
      *Sadies/A Burning Snowman/Favourite Colours/Yep Roc

      *These Arms Are Snakes/Big News/The Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go
      Home/Jade Tree
      *Jeff Buckley/Kick Out The Jams/Grace/Columbia

      8AM
      =====
      *Wagon Christ/The Funnies/Sorry I Make You Lush/Ninja Tune
      [aka Luke Vibert]
      *VHS or Beta/Forever/Night on Fire/Astralwerks
      [Sounding a little less like Daft Punk on this new album.]
      *Radio 4/The Death of American Radio/Stealing Of A Nation/Astralwerks
      [The new Radio 4 album. I think it's really terrific even though some
      curmudgeon gave it a 2 out of 10 over at Pitchfork. The dancey parts of
      the band have been greatly enganced on this album, making it as much disco
      as punk. But that's fine with me because I've been into discoey punk music
      lately.]
      *Bloc Party/Banquet/Bloc Party EP/Dim Mak
      [Apparently this song is a big hit in England...the next step after Franz
      Ferdinand.]

      *The Faint/Paranoiattack/Wet From Birth/Saddle Creek
      *The Comas/The Science Of Your Mind/Conductor/Yep Roc
      *The Flaming Lips/Mountain Side/In A Priest Driven Ambulance/Restless
      [I tried to play Rainin' Babies from this record, but it started skipping.]

      *Wilco/At Least That's What You Said/A Ghost Is Born/Nonesuch
      [I saw Wilco play in Nashville a week ago, in a parking lot concert put on
      by the local radio station. I haven't seen Wilco for years and was happily
      surprised at how great they were. Nels Cline really has added a lot to the
      band's sound and I for one, was happy to see them.]
      *Rocket From The Tombs/So Cold/The Day The Earth Met The.../Smog Veil
      *Des Ark/Send Jolly To Raleigh/Split 7” with Bellafea/Exotic Fever
      *Karate/Cacaphony/Pockets/Southern

      *Adem/Ringing In My Ear/Homesongs/Domino
    • Carl A Zimring
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
        > *Wilco/At Least That's What You Said/A Ghost Is Born/Nonesuch [I saw Wilco
        > play in Nashville a week ago, in a parking lot concert put on by the local
        > radio station. I haven't seen Wilco for years and was happily surprised at
        > how great they were. Nels Cline really has added a lot to the band's sound
        > and I for one, was happy to see them.]

        I saw them on Conan last night and enjoyed hearing Cline play in a pop context (and for him, Wilco is pop). I hope this lineup sticks around to make a record to hear what Cline's studio contributions might be.