RIP Johnny Ramone

  • Carl A Zimring
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
      The causes were different, but it's eerie how tightly bunched the passings of the three mainstays of the band were.

      ***

      http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=6250483

      Ramones Guitarist Dies at 55 in Los Angeles
      Thu Sep 16, 2004 02:06 AM ET

      By Dean Goodman

      LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Johnny Ramone, the lead guitarist with the influential U.S. punk rock band the Ramones, died on Wednesday after a five-year battle with prostate cancer, a long-time associate told Reuters.

      Ramone, 55, who was born John Cummings, died in his sleep at his Los Angeles home on Wednesday afternoon, said Arturo Vega, the Ramones' creative director.

      The Ramones, famed for playing their high-energy, unpolished songs at breakneck speed, rose to fame in New York City in the 1970s, paving the way for such British punk rock icons as the Sex Pistols and the Clash.

      But unlike most punks, Ramone was an outspoken Republican who once declared Ronald Reagan the best U.S. president of his lifetime.

      Ramone becomes the third member of the band to die in recent years. Singer Joey Ramone, born Jeffrey Hyman, died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer. Bassist Dee Dee Ramone, born Douglas Colvin, died from a drug overdose the following year.

      At Johnny Ramone's bedside were his wife, Linda, as well as rock stars such as Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder, Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante and hard-rocker Rob Zombie, Vega said.

      Ramone will be cremated in a private ceremony on Thursday, and plans are being made for a public memorial, including the unveiling of a statue, at some stage, Vega said.

      BACK IN THE SPOTLIGHT

      The band has recently crept back into the spotlight. Vedder, Zombie, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers performed at a tribute concert in Los Angeles on Sept. 12 marking the Ramones' 30th anniversary. Ramone, too sick to attend, spoke to the fans by telephone.

      A documentary, "End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones," has just been released in theaters, and former Ramones drummer Marky Ramone has overseen the recent release of a DVD called "Ramones Raw."

      The band made its mark with nihilistic tunes like "Blitzkrieg Bop," "Teenage Lobotomy," "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue," but never achieved the commercial success of groups that followed in its wake.

      The Ramones officially broke up in 1996, after releasing 21 studio and live albums.

      Johnny Ramone and his future bandmates were raised in the largely middle-class New York neighborhood of Forest Hills in Queens. They knew each other as youngsters, and shared an interest in pioneering punk bands like the New York Dolls.

      After attending a military academy -- an experience that would make him the group's task master and most-focused member -- Johnny Ramone started playing guitar at 22.

      The Ramones, rounded out by drummer/producer Tommy Ramone (born Tommy Erdelyi) performed publicly for the first time in March 1974 and recorded a self-titled debut album in 1976.

      Their songs, famously brief and counted in with a frenzied "one-two-three-four!" introduction, mixed their daily frustrations with a dark sense of humor.

      "We couldn't write about love or cars, so we sang about this stuff, like glue-sniffing. We thought it was funny. We thought we could get away with anything," Johnny Ramone once said.
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
        And who would've thought that the Ramones would have more deaths than
        the Stones and Sex Pistols combined?

        dp
      • Justin Hopper
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
          This is weird, coming 24 hours after seeing the "End of the Century"
          documentary, and just as I'm writing a review of it...

          Justin Hopper
          Music Editor
          Pittsburgh City Paper
          650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
          Pittsburgh, PA 15222
          www.pghcitypaper.com
          phone: 412-316-3342 x165
          fax: 412-316-3388
          jhopper@...

          And who would've thought that the Ramones would have more deaths than
          the Stones and Sex Pistols combined?

          dp

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Carl A Zimring
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
            > This is weird, coming 24 hours after seeing the "End of the Century"
            > documentary, and just as I'm writing a review of it...

            How does Johnny come off in the documentary? Do they go into the bad blood between him and Joey, and if so, did he have much to say about Joey's death?

            Carl Z.
          • Justin Hopper
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
              >>How does Johnny come off in the documentary?

              As Masley said today in an email, "Man, and I've been saying nothing but
              what a dick Johnny is since we saw that movie..." I actually kinda admired
              him in it, he's so single-minded and devoted. But definitely an asshole.

              >>Do they go into the bad blood between him and Joey, and if so, did he have
              much to say about
              >>Joey's death?

              That's probably the best part of the movie - they really show that those two
              seriously didn't say two words to each other during over a decade of
              touring, after Johnny stole Joey's girlfriend (stole's not the write word,
              since they were together 'til he died... 'fell in love with' is a better
              phrase).

              At the end they interview johnny about joey's death, and it's incredibly
              interesting: he SAYS that he's very saddened, but doesn't know why - it's
              like Spock being confused about having an emotion or something. But he ends
              up pragmatically saying how Joey was a Ramone, and he LOVES the Ramones -
              how they basically hated each other, but he would've defended him no matter
              what, because he's a Ramone. Johnny really comes across as this bizarrely
              passionate yet cold individual whose love for the Ramones superceded
              everything: health, comfort, politics, everything.

              more than you wanted...

              juddy

              ps - Sally Timms at Club Cafe 11/5, in case y'all didn't see that.

              Justin Hopper
              Music Editor
              Pittsburgh City Paper
              650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
              Pittsburgh, PA 15222
              www.pghcitypaper.com
              phone: 412-316-3342 x165
              fax: 412-316-3388
              jhopper@...

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
                > more than you wanted...

                Not at all! Thanks.

                > ps - Sally Timms at Club Cafe 11/5, in case y'all didn't see that.

                Sally likes Pittsburgh. I should check to see if she's also playing Cleveland...

                Carl Z.
              • Jason Gross
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Hopper" <jhopper@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > >>Do they go into the bad blood between him and Joey, and if so,
                  did he have
                  > much to say about
                  > >>Joey's death?

                  > At the end they interview johnny about joey's death, and it's
                  incredibly
                  > interesting: he SAYS that he's very saddened, but doesn't know why -
                  it's
                  > like Spock being confused about having an emotion or something. But
                  he ends
                  > up pragmatically saying how Joey was a Ramone, and he LOVES the
                  Ramones -
                  > how they basically hated each other, but he would've defended him
                  no matter
                  > what, because he's a Ramone. Johnny really comes across as this
                  bizarrely
                  > passionate yet cold individual whose love for the Ramones superceded
                  > everything: health, comfort, politics, everything.

                  First of all, see this movie when it comes around! Great film.

                  About the Johnny/Joey relationship, the spookiest scene has to be
                  when the film-makers first confront Johnny about this. He's kind of
                  ambivalent about it at first and then turns to his wife Linda (heard
                  off-camera) and asks her what she thinks of the situation. She
                  dances around the issue a bit (can't remember what she said exactly)
                  but does say that there was definitely tension between the two after
                  some time. What we then learn is that Linda herself was the main
                  cause of the split between the two guys- Joey started out with her
                  but then she fell for Johnny. That would seem to mean that as much
                  as Johnny might not have been a nice guy, Joey was also one to hold a
                  long-time grudge.

                  All of which I admit is Behind-The-Music B.S. because they were a
                  great band regardless of all of this (though I do wonder that their
                  records in general took a dive after that).

                  Here's what I really remember. Johnny and Tommy are blazing in on
                  the same 3/4 chords again and again and then you hear nothing but the
                  drums pounding with Joey chanting "Hey ho, let's go! Hey ho, let's
                  go! Hey ho, let's go! Hey ho, let's go," like calling them into
                  battle. Then Dee Dee's bass comes back and then Johnny's guitar is
                  tearing it up again. This searing, unstoppable, monolithic sound.
                  And like the Coasters said, baby that is rock and roll.

                  Best,
                  Jason
                • Carl A Zimring
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 16, 2004
                    The timing of Johnny's death is an unfortunate coincidence, but the commentrs here make me want to see the film. If it doesn't get here soon, I can still go with the happy memories of Rock & Roll High School...

                    Carl Z.
                  • Justin Hopper
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
                      This just popped into my head for some reason: I read an article once where
                      someone referred to a [I assume fake] post-rock tribute to hiphop entitled
                      "It Takes A Nation of Millions Now Living Will Never Die To Hold Us Back".

                      Does that ring bells with anyone? I've never found it since... and if I
                      dreamt it up, I'd like to release that album. ;)

                      juddy

                      Justin Hopper
                      Music Editor
                      Pittsburgh City Paper
                      650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
                      Pittsburgh, PA 15222
                      www.pghcitypaper.com
                      phone: 412-316-3342 x165
                      fax: 412-316-3388
                      jhopper@...

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
                        Or with a little extra volume and an added dose of mope:

                        And You Shall Know Us By The Trail of a Nation of Millions Now Living Will Never Die To Hold Us Back (But I've Chosen Darkness).

                        Carl Wilson
                        The Globe and Mail
                        http://www.zoilus.com <http://www.zoilus.com/>

                        http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews <http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID> &storyID
[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129oqcpvu/M=315388.5455589.6541277.2248467/D=grplch/S=1707423753:HM/EXP=1096746579/A=2372349/R=0/SIG=12idgqpgc/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40WL1004SS> click here
                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5455589.6541277.2248467/D=grplch/S=:HM/A=2372349/rand=759642160>

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links