Re: songs about the great depression

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...>
      wrote:
      > Hey Carl,
      >
      > While searching for those Blind Alfred Reed lyrics I found this
      page:

      > http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/depress.html#top
      >
      > Brother Can You Spare a Dime from 1932 (sung by Bing) is probably
      one of the most famous Depression era songs.

      > steve, who hasn't thought about this music in a while...

      Brother Can You Spare A Dime is also on that Dave Alvin/Sun Ra lp.
      Can't remember lp title offhamnd.
      Stevo
      Np Tim Buckley Boboquivari from Timbuckley.org Mp3
    • Barry Mazor
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
        I only recently discvovered one of my favorite cuts about being down and out in
        that era, from a seemingly unliely source--the best kind. this is "Share Croppin'
        Blues" as sung by Southern pop star Kay starr in about 1950, looking back; it's
        on the CD "The Definitive Kay Starr" and is quite something.

        I would also look to other places people won't thunk of so fast--like "The
        Forgotten man" number form Golddiggers of 1933; it's on CD somwhere, and
        pwoerful--though moreso whewn you see the Busby Berkeley approach gone
        poliical. (Goebbels was so moved by this he tried to get Berkeley to move to
        Germany!)

        There's really a LOt in the blues area, unsurprisingly. See: "I Heard the Voice of
        a Pork Chop" by Jim Jackson (about an empty stomach) , and "The Northern
        Starvers Are Coming home" (laughing at folks who went north from Mississippi
        and did worse )by Charlie McCoy....

        And, uh, you could probably locate a Wody Guthrie song or two that woud work
        <g>

        Barry
      • Barry Mazor
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2004
          Another specific one:

          Depression's Gone From Me Blues--Blind Blake