Re: songs about the great depression

  • Steve Berry
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      Pardon me if you menitioned it and I overlooked it, but how about "Do Re Mi" by Woody Guthrie?

      http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3448/doremi.html

      I would love to see your complete list when it is compiled. To me, the Great Depression is the most interesting period of U.S. history.

      -- SteveB

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:29:57 -0400 (EDT)
      From: "Carl A Zimring" <cz28@...>
      Subject: Re: songs about the great depression

      > Hey Carl,
      >
      > While searching for those Blind Alfred Reed lyrics I found this page:
      >
      > http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/depress.html#top
      >
      > Brother Can You Spare a Dime from 1932 (sung by Bing) is probably one of
      > the most famous Depression era songs.
      >
      > steve, who hasn't thought about this music in a while...

      Thanks Nina and Steve! It's been a while since I've thought about 30s music, and I couldn't get past more escapist and optimistic songs (perhaps a comment on my psyche as the semester begins).

      Carl Z.

      Steve Berry
      scberry@...
      http://www.stevencberry.com
      http://www.bainbridgehouse.com
      "Life is short, but wide."

    • Carl A Zimring
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        > Pardon me if you menitioned it and I overlooked it, but how about "Do Re
        > Mi" by Woody Guthrie?
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3448/doremi.html

        Good one; I had thought of Guthrie but for some reason couldn't get past the sunnier "Pastures of Plenty" (a great song about the potential abundance of the nation). At least in my mental music library, I'm struck by how many optimistic and hopeful songs came out of the 30s.

        > I would love to see your complete list when it is compiled. To me, the
        > Great Depression is the most interesting period of U.S. history.

        Every suggestion is on-list so far! I only need a song or two for a lecture, but feel free to add more. Does, say, Bessie Smith have anything suitable?

        Carl Z.
      • jason baldinger
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          howdieeeee

          Yazoo records put out a 2 vol compilation called Hard Times Come Again No More, which overall has 46 different tracks recorded during the Great Depression by both Hillbilly and Blues singers. Both discs are chalked full of appropriate material, plus there an achingly, beautiful version of Stephen Foster's "Hard Times..." done in 4 part harmony, with Piano.

          County records put out a similar set called "Hard Times in the Country". That set includes Uncle Dave Macon's "Wreck Of the Tennesee Gravy Train" which is one of a number of topical songs Macon produced during that time. You might also want to check out his song about one timePresidental Candidate Al Smith on Revenant's Harry Smith Anthology Vol 4.

          Last, but not least Bluebird put out a comp called When the Sun Goes Down: Poor Man's Heaven. Which is 24 more depression-era tracks including "Brother Can You Spare A Dime" along with tracks by J.M Gates ("F.D.R is Everyone's Friend"), Woody Guthrie' (Dusty Old Dust) and probably one of the most blue, blues song I may have ever heard, "35 Depression" by Daddy Stovpipe and Mississippi Sarah.

          Those four discs alone might net you a semester worth of material, if I can add more I shall.

          Preparing for tommorow's 4 hour John Henry Marathon
          Jason

          Carl A Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:
          For a project I'm doing, I need a good song or two about belt-tightening during the 1930s, and I'm drawing a blank. Can anyone help me out?

          Carl Z.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...>
            wrote:
            > Hey Carl,
            >
            > While searching for those Blind Alfred Reed lyrics I found this
            page:

            > http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/depress.html#top
            >
            > Brother Can You Spare a Dime from 1932 (sung by Bing) is probably
            one of the most famous Depression era songs.

            > steve, who hasn't thought about this music in a while...

            Brother Can You Spare A Dime is also on that Dave Alvin/Sun Ra lp.
            Can't remember lp title offhamnd.
            Stevo
            Np Tim Buckley Boboquivari from Timbuckley.org Mp3
          • Barry Mazor
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
              I only recently discvovered one of my favorite cuts about being down and out in
              that era, from a seemingly unliely source--the best kind. this is "Share Croppin'
              Blues" as sung by Southern pop star Kay starr in about 1950, looking back; it's
              on the CD "The Definitive Kay Starr" and is quite something.

              I would also look to other places people won't thunk of so fast--like "The
              Forgotten man" number form Golddiggers of 1933; it's on CD somwhere, and
              pwoerful--though moreso whewn you see the Busby Berkeley approach gone
              poliical. (Goebbels was so moved by this he tried to get Berkeley to move to
              Germany!)

              There's really a LOt in the blues area, unsurprisingly. See: "I Heard the Voice of
              a Pork Chop" by Jim Jackson (about an empty stomach) , and "The Northern
              Starvers Are Coming home" (laughing at folks who went north from Mississippi
              and did worse )by Charlie McCoy....

              And, uh, you could probably locate a Wody Guthrie song or two that woud work
              <g>

              Barry
            • Barry Mazor
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2004
                Another specific one:

                Depression's Gone From Me Blues--Blind Blake