Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: songs about the great depression

  • Carl A Zimring
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
      > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dap@p...> wrote:
      >>> How Can A Man Stand Such Poor Times and Live
      >>
      >> The Del-Lords did a great version of this, you can find it on the
      >> best-of released a few years ago.
      >
      > I know that this song was recorded during the Depression. But I've always
      > thought it must be older, especially since it seems to be written about a
      > period when the economic problem was inflation. (Prices fell during the
      > Great Depression.) Does anyone know anything about older antecedents?

      Sadly my knowledge of 1870s popular song is nil. But I imagine that would be a fine decade to investigate.

      > Nina M., feeling pedantic today

      Understandably, says the fellow proofreading his syllabi.

      Carl Z.
    • Steve Berry
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        Pardon me if you menitioned it and I overlooked it, but how about "Do Re Mi" by Woody Guthrie?

        http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3448/doremi.html

        I would love to see your complete list when it is compiled. To me, the Great Depression is the most interesting period of U.S. history.

        -- SteveB

        Message: 5
        Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:29:57 -0400 (EDT)
        From: "Carl A Zimring" <cz28@...>
        Subject: Re: songs about the great depression

        > Hey Carl,
        >
        > While searching for those Blind Alfred Reed lyrics I found this page:
        >
        > http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/depress.html#top
        >
        > Brother Can You Spare a Dime from 1932 (sung by Bing) is probably one of
        > the most famous Depression era songs.
        >
        > steve, who hasn't thought about this music in a while...

        Thanks Nina and Steve! It's been a while since I've thought about 30s music, and I couldn't get past more escapist and optimistic songs (perhaps a comment on my psyche as the semester begins).

        Carl Z.

        Steve Berry
        scberry@...
        http://www.stevencberry.com
        http://www.bainbridgehouse.com
        "Life is short, but wide."

      • Carl A Zimring
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          > Pardon me if you menitioned it and I overlooked it, but how about "Do Re
          > Mi" by Woody Guthrie?
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3448/doremi.html

          Good one; I had thought of Guthrie but for some reason couldn't get past the sunnier "Pastures of Plenty" (a great song about the potential abundance of the nation). At least in my mental music library, I'm struck by how many optimistic and hopeful songs came out of the 30s.

          > I would love to see your complete list when it is compiled. To me, the
          > Great Depression is the most interesting period of U.S. history.

          Every suggestion is on-list so far! I only need a song or two for a lecture, but feel free to add more. Does, say, Bessie Smith have anything suitable?

          Carl Z.
        • jason baldinger
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
            howdieeeee

            Yazoo records put out a 2 vol compilation called Hard Times Come Again No More, which overall has 46 different tracks recorded during the Great Depression by both Hillbilly and Blues singers. Both discs are chalked full of appropriate material, plus there an achingly, beautiful version of Stephen Foster's "Hard Times..." done in 4 part harmony, with Piano.

            County records put out a similar set called "Hard Times in the Country". That set includes Uncle Dave Macon's "Wreck Of the Tennesee Gravy Train" which is one of a number of topical songs Macon produced during that time. You might also want to check out his song about one timePresidental Candidate Al Smith on Revenant's Harry Smith Anthology Vol 4.

            Last, but not least Bluebird put out a comp called When the Sun Goes Down: Poor Man's Heaven. Which is 24 more depression-era tracks including "Brother Can You Spare A Dime" along with tracks by J.M Gates ("F.D.R is Everyone's Friend"), Woody Guthrie' (Dusty Old Dust) and probably one of the most blue, blues song I may have ever heard, "35 Depression" by Daddy Stovpipe and Mississippi Sarah.

            Those four discs alone might net you a semester worth of material, if I can add more I shall.

            Preparing for tommorow's 4 hour John Henry Marathon
            Jason

            Carl A Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:
            For a project I'm doing, I need a good song or two about belt-tightening during the 1930s, and I'm drawing a blank. Can anyone help me out?

            Carl Z.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Stevo
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...>
              wrote:
              > Hey Carl,
              >
              > While searching for those Blind Alfred Reed lyrics I found this
              page:

              > http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/depress.html#top
              >
              > Brother Can You Spare a Dime from 1932 (sung by Bing) is probably
              one of the most famous Depression era songs.

              > steve, who hasn't thought about this music in a while...

              Brother Can You Spare A Dime is also on that Dave Alvin/Sun Ra lp.
              Can't remember lp title offhamnd.
              Stevo
              Np Tim Buckley Boboquivari from Timbuckley.org Mp3
            • Barry Mazor
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
                I only recently discvovered one of my favorite cuts about being down and out in
                that era, from a seemingly unliely source--the best kind. this is "Share Croppin'
                Blues" as sung by Southern pop star Kay starr in about 1950, looking back; it's
                on the CD "The Definitive Kay Starr" and is quite something.

                I would also look to other places people won't thunk of so fast--like "The
                Forgotten man" number form Golddiggers of 1933; it's on CD somwhere, and
                pwoerful--though moreso whewn you see the Busby Berkeley approach gone
                poliical. (Goebbels was so moved by this he tried to get Berkeley to move to
                Germany!)

                There's really a LOt in the blues area, unsurprisingly. See: "I Heard the Voice of
                a Pork Chop" by Jim Jackson (about an empty stomach) , and "The Northern
                Starvers Are Coming home" (laughing at folks who went north from Mississippi
                and did worse )by Charlie McCoy....

                And, uh, you could probably locate a Wody Guthrie song or two that woud work
                <g>

                Barry
              • Barry Mazor
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 3, 2004
                  Another specific one:

                  Depression's Gone From Me Blues--Blind Blake