Steve's WXDU Playlist for 9/1/4

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hey everyone,

      Here is this morning's playlist. Remember to come on out to the Federal in
      Durham tonight to hear me DJ. www.thefederal.net

      See ya.
      Steve Gardner

      *The Comas/Oh God/Conductor/Yep Roc
      [Local faves (who now live in NYC, I believe) from their new album...their
      first in, oh, 4 years or so. On a local label, too! I think this is their
      best album yet.]
      *Keren Ann/Not Going Anywhere/Not Going Anywhere/EMI France
      *The Trouble With Sweeney/Evelyn Rochman/Fishtown Briefcase/Burnt Toast
      *Rogue Wave/Nourishment Nation/Out of the Shadow/Sub Pop

      *The Shins/Caring is Creepy/Oh Inverted World/Sub Pop
      [This song is also on the new soundtrack to the absolutely fabulous movie
      the Garden State.]
      *David Kilgour/Gold in Sound/Frozen Orange/Merge
      *Rahmelzee Vs K.Rob/Beat Bop/New York Noise/Soul Jazz
      *Gift of Gab/Flashback/4th Dimensional Rocket Ships Going Up/Quannum
      [New album featuring the Gift of Gab from Blackalicious. Great stuff.]

      *Mclusky/She Will Only Bring You Happiness/The Difference Between Me and
      You Is That I'm Not On Fire/Too Pure
      *The Undertones/Teenage Kicks/The Undertones/ EMI UK
      *Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio/From Up Here/Customs/Moneyshot
      *Beep Beep/Giggle Giggle/Business Casual/Saddle Creek

      *The Good Life/Entertainer/Lovers Need Lawyers/Saddle Creek
      [Playing with Rilo Kiley at the Cat's Cradle on Oct 11.]
      *Hot Hot Heat/This Town/Make Up The Breakdown/Sub Pop
      *Echo and the Bunnymen/Crocodiles/Crocodiles/Sire
      [Going back to 1980 to play this oldie but goodie.]

      *Wire/Pink Flag/Pink Flag/Restless Retro
      *Rogers Sisters/45 Prayers/Three Fingers/Troubleman Unlimited
      [From their new CD. This is my first listen to it, but I had a hard time
      picking just one track to play because it all sounded so dang good! If you
      like your loud fractured guitars right up front (a la Andy Gill on the
      older Gang of 4 material) this one is for YOU.]
      *Brian Eno/Third Uncle/Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)/EG
      *The Fall/Sparta 2XX/The Real New Fall LP/Narnack

      *Whirlwind Heat/H is O/Flamingo Honey/Dim Mak
      *Matthew Dear/Grut Wall/Backstroke/Spectral Sound
      *Belle and Sebastian/Your Cover's Blown/Books/Rough Trade
      [One of my favorite songs of the year. B&S do disco. Yeah.]
      *Kings of Convenience/Stay Out of Trouble/Riot On An Empty Street/Astralwerks
      [See if you can find a review of this album that doesn't mention Simon and
      Garfunkel. Go ahead, give it a try. Hey, and this is a good album, btw.
      They had an album once called Quiet is the New Loud...and it's still the
      truth, it seems.]

      *Pyramid Electric Co/Song of the Road/Pyramid Electric Co/Secretly Canadian
      [Jason Molina (Songs:Ohia) has a new project out and this is it. It
      complements his other new project Magnolia Electric Co. MEC = loud and PEC
      = quiet. This is quiet. It's good, too. By the way, I bought this on vinyl
      and when you buy the vinyl you get the album on CD for free. Not bad, eh?]
      *Tilly and the Wall/Reckless/Wild Like Children/Team Love
      [Also opening for Riley Kiley at the Cradle in October.]
      *Avett Brothers/Pretty Girl From Cedar Lane/Mignonette/Ramseur
      *Drive By Truckers/Carl Perkins Cadillac/The Dirty South/New West
      [The song title comes from the contest that Sun Records founder Sam
      Phillips had for the artists on his label. The first artist to get a #1
      record was going to get a brand new Cadillac. Everyone probably that Elvis
      was going to claim that prize, but it was Carl that actually had the first
      hit and won the contest. Unfortunately for him, Sam charged the price of
      the Cadillac against Carl's royalty payments.]
      *Social Distortion/Moral Threat/Social Distortion/Time Bomb
      *Constantines/No Ecstacy/Constantines/Sub Pop
      [A reissue of their first album.]

      *Isley Brothers/Pop That Thang/Essential Isley Brothers/Epic Legacy

      Yahoo! Groups Links