Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on August 26, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on August 26, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Kim Weston - Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While) -
      Greatest Hits & Rare Classics
      [ You've heard the Doobie Brothers version of this song? This
      version annihilates it. Fans of Motown who don't want to hear the
      most familiar songs will be very happy with this collection by this
      lesser-known but very talented artist. ]

      Marvin Gaye - This Love Starved HeartOf Mine (Is Killing Me) -
      Uncut Magazine Summer Of Love*
      [ You can find this song either on "Love Starved Heart: Rare &
      Unreleased" which features unreleased Marvin Gaye tracks recorded on
      Motown between 1963 and 1971 which finally saw the light of day in
      1994 or on the CD which accompanies the latest issue of Uncut
      magazine and features some great Motown material. This issue is worth
      owning for the CD alone not to mention it has a lengthy and
      interesting cover article about the Kinks. ]

      Them Featuring Van Morrison - Mystic Eyes - The Sopranos: Music
      From The Original Series

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Toots Hibbert - Maggie's Farm - Is It Rolling Bob?: A Reggae
      Tribute To Bob Dylan*
      [ As expected in a project like this, some of it works and some
      of it doesn't. This song, however, is a definite highlight and
      features the soulful voice of Toots Hibbert. This is accompanied by
      a bonus disc of Dub mixes of Bob Dylan. ]

      Cornershop - Brimful Of Asha - When I Was Born For The 7th Time

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Santo & Johnny - Summertime - The Best Of Santo & Johnny
      [ This instrumental version of the Gershwin song is just
      slightly less cool than the Billy Stewart version. Highly
      recommended. ]

      Chuck Prophet - Summertime Thing - No Other Love
      [ This was certainly one of the best singles I heard in 2002.
      Chuck Prophet has a new release coming out in September and
      tentatively is set to play at Off Broadway on Wednesday, October
      20th. Mark your calenders now. Nobody blends soul and rock better
      and his touring band is flat-out wonderful. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Mavis Staples - Hard Times Come Again No More - Beautiful Dreamer:
      The Songs Of Stephen Foster*
      [ I just got this release and didn't have time to listen to it
      so I went with what I felt had "can't miss" written all over it. It
      doesn't miss. Wow, what a version. Mavis Staples will be appearing in
      St. Louis at the Big Muddy Festival on Sunday, September 5. Also
      appearing that day is Fontella Bass & The Voices of St. Louis. You
      don't want to miss this show. ]

      Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady - Young, Gifted, & Black

      The Staple Singers - Slippery People - Black On White: Great R&B
      Covers Of Rock Classics
      [ I remember really liking this version of the Talking Heads
      song when it was on radio back in 1984. I came across this now out-
      of-print CD which (as the album title indicates) features R&B covers
      of rock songs. A lot of it works really well. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Elvis Costello - Innocent When You Dream - Kojak Variety (Expanded
      Version)*
      [ This Elvis Costello cover of the Tom Waits song is on the
      bonus disc which accompanies the expanded version of "Kojak Variety"
      which just came out a couple of weeks ago. Steve Pick writes about
      the reissue of this relaese, "Almost Blue", and "Goodbye Cruel World"
      at http://www.rftstl.com/issues/2004-08-18/rotations.html ]

      Chris Stamey - In Spanish Harlem - Travels In The South*

      A3 - Woke Up This Morning (Chosen One Mix) - The Sopranos: Music
      From The Original Series

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Patsys - You're Gonna Pay - Patsys 3-Song Sampler*
      [ This band hails from Columbus, OH and will be appearing this
      Saturday night (8/28) along with the Phonocaptors. Roy Kasten writes
      about the Patsys in the current issue of the RFT. This article can
      also be found at http://www.rftstl.com/issues/2004-08-
      25/critics3.html ]

      The Mekons - Memphis, Egypt - Rock n' Roll

      Sleater-Kinney - You're No Rock & Roll Fun - All Hands On The Bad
      One

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Marah - Faraway You - Kids In Philly
      [ Appearing next Thursday (Sept. 2) at Off Boadway ]

      Elliot Smith - A Distorted Reality Is Now A Necessity To Be Free -
      Future Soundtrack For America*

      Steve Earle - The Revolution Starts Now - The Revolution Starts Now*

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Jon Langford & Sally Timms - Broken Bottle - Por Vida*
      [ The timing seemed right for a couple sets of country duets.
      This bargain-priced new 2-CD set has a portion of the proceeds go to
      benefit the Alejandro Escovedo Medical & Living Expense Fund.
      Artists include everybody from Lucinda Williams & Steve Earle to Ian
      Hunter & Son Volt. ]

      Gail Davies & Robbie Fulks - Shakin' The Blues - Touch My Heart: A
      Tribute To Johnny Paycheck*

      George Jones & Melba Montgomery - Let's Invite Them Over - Vintage
      Collections

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Mary Kay Place & Willie Nelson - Something To Brag About - Aimin'
      To Please

      John Prine & Iris Dement - In Spite Of Ourselves - In Spite Of
      Ourselves

      Robbie Fulks & Kelly Willis - Parallel Bars - The Very Best Of
      Robbie Fulks

      Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminals Starvation League - Visit Me In
      Music City - From The End Of Your Leash*

      Shelby Lynne - Telephone - Identity Crisis

      Eddie Hinton - You Got Me Singing - Very Extremely Dangerous