Re: [fearnwhiskey] DBT (and CVB)

  • jason baldinger
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25 7:07 AM
      howdieeeee

      New DBT is solid. The Dirty South slides away from the fiercely personal songwritting of Decoration Day, and moves more toward Mythology, southern or otherwise. John Henry, (who historically is from Holly Springs MI), Buford Pusser, Sun Studios, Stock Car Racing and Moonshiners all feature prominently into the equation on the new record.

      The Dirty South also leads into what will certianly be a depature, Jason Isobel gets more songwriting credit on this record. He seems to bring down the three guitar scorch into a more subdued feel. Organs, Piano, closer harmonies, and songs like Danko/Manuel maybe a sign that with Skynrds back catalogue in there pocket, maybe its time for for new territory. Music from the Big Pink, Sweethearts of the Rodeo, hell I'm game to hear it done, and done well, something I'm sure can be pulled off with still hints of Gangstabilly flare.

      4 outta 5 stars
      Damnit now I'm late for work
      Jason

      Carl Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:

      --On Tuesday, August 24, 2004 7:13 PM -0400 Mock the DJ
      <mockthedj@...> wrote:

      > Drive-By Carl wrote:
      >> whose favorite yet-to-be-released disc of the year -- that I've heard --
      >> is from a bit further south (Athens, GA)
      >>

      > I got a taste of it on this really cool radio show called "Fear &
      > Whiskey" last night. The host, Karl (Grimzig) said the band might be
      > skewing away from their Skynyrd roots and into something closer to "The
      > Band".

      Truth be told, this Carl hasn't heard _The Dirty South_ yet, though it's on
      my shopping list. But Athens is home to Pitch-A-Tent, label of Camper Van
      Beethoven. I love _New Roman Times_.

      > All I know, is that I really dug what I heard! (Roadtrippin' to Pgh on
      > Sept 12th??)
      >
      > Hopefully the Karl that played it can chime in (as he's checked out the
      > entire CD).

      This Carl agrees with that Karl about hearing from more Karls about the
      Truckers.

      Carl Z.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT