Re: Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on August 05, 2004

  • arsenault_marie
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
      > That's my favorite Jim Roll song, both the writing and performance.
      Is > Jason R. doing it solo acoustic?

      Not on the cd. There's a backing band. There is also a song co-written
      by Jason and Jim and produced at Jim's studio in Michigan on the new
      cd. It's called "American Question".

      "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for Jason.
      I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.

      marie
    • Nina Melechen
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "arsenault_marie"
        <marsen02@c...> wrote:
        > "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for
        Jason.
        > I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.

        I don't know about his fans in the aggregate but I predict that Carl
        personally will like it a lot.

        Nina M.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
          --On Friday, August 6, 2004 5:05 PM +0000 Nina Melechen
          <melechen@...> wrote:

          > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "arsenault_marie"
          > <marsen02@c...> wrote:
          >> "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for
          > Jason.
          >> I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.
          >
          > I don't know about his fans in the aggregate but I predict that Carl
          > personally will like it a lot.

          He's already got one song I'm interested in hearing; further reviews are
          most welcome.

          Carl Z.
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
            CarlZ:

            <<He's already got one song I'm interested in hearing; further reviews
            are most welcome.>>

            I dig it. A ton. That's all I have time for. ;-)

            dp
          • Barry Mazor
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
              I interviewed ajson at length for a profile that will be out in No Depresison
              9some of you remember that?) in a couple of weeks. We talked about "eddie"
              and how it got to be there and amde in the almost ochestral way it's done (I
              think it's terrific)..and I've also got some discussion about that in the aryicle with
              Jim Roll.

              It is indeed a politically-oriented record . (You thought "Empire Builders"
              referred to Clear Channel Radio maybe? Though I guess that could be political,
              too <g>).

              I also join in the prediction that people on this list will go for it.

              It is both political and smart-which are not always combined. Oh yeah--good
              music too<g>

              -Barry
            • arsenault_marie
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                I also join in the prediction that people on this list will go for >it.

                It's a great record. My favorite of his solo output. I admire him even
                more for saying what is on his mind in these f*cked up times. I just
                wonder if some of Jason's fan base might not share his views and how
                they may react to it. Curious more than anything.

                He will be touring extensively in support of the new cd. Tour dates
                are on his website.

                marie
              • Barry Mazor
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                  wrote:
                  I just
                  > wonder if some of Jason's fan base might not share his views and how
                  > they may react to it. Curious more than anything.

                  I hear that. In fact, I'm curious whether some of them will thnk he's not
                  screaming ENOUGH, because he's capable, it turns out--not too surprisingly--of
                  getting more than one idea and thought in a song, (and, naturally, on the whole
                  record), at a time.

                  It's not a bumpersticker sort of political record--but a lively, thoughtful and
                  dang good one, I think.

                  -Barry
                • Susan McTigue
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
                    Marie wrote:

                    > It's a great record. My favorite of his solo output.

                    How have you heard it Marie? It looks like it won't be available
                    until September.

                    For more political commentary in a rock/country vein, I
                    recommend Roy Zimmerman's "Chicken Hawk" which he just
                    recorded and made available as an MP3 (free) on his website:

                    http://www.roysongs.com/sounds/

                    I've heard it done live several times now and love it! Roy used to
                    be with The Foremen.

                    Susan