Re: [fearnwhiskey] Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on August 05, 2004

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
      --On Friday, August 6, 2004 12:31 AM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
      wrote:

      > Jim Roll - Eddie Rode The Orphan Train - Inhabiting The Ball
      > [ Jim Roll is a very fine songwriter out of Ann Arbor, MI. This
      > release features some collaborations with novelists Denis Johnson and
      > Rick Moody. However, this song was solely written by Jim Roll and
      > remains one of my favorite songs that came out on 2002. Jason
      > Ringenberg has a cover of this song on his upcoming "Empire Builders"
      > release. ]

      That's my favorite Jim Roll song, both the writing and performance. Is
      Jason R. doing it solo acoustic?

      Carl Z.
      fan of Mr. Roll despite his Cubbie fandom
    • arsenault_marie
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
        > That's my favorite Jim Roll song, both the writing and performance.
        Is > Jason R. doing it solo acoustic?

        Not on the cd. There's a backing band. There is also a song co-written
        by Jason and Jim and produced at Jim's studio in Michigan on the new
        cd. It's called "American Question".

        "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for Jason.
        I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.

        marie
      • Nina Melechen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "arsenault_marie"
          <marsen02@c...> wrote:
          > "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for
          Jason.
          > I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.

          I don't know about his fans in the aggregate but I predict that Carl
          personally will like it a lot.

          Nina M.
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
            --On Friday, August 6, 2004 5:05 PM +0000 Nina Melechen
            <melechen@...> wrote:

            > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "arsenault_marie"
            > <marsen02@c...> wrote:
            >> "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for
            > Jason.
            >> I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.
            >
            > I don't know about his fans in the aggregate but I predict that Carl
            > personally will like it a lot.

            He's already got one song I'm interested in hearing; further reviews are
            most welcome.

            Carl Z.
          • Dave Purcell
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
              CarlZ:

              <<He's already got one song I'm interested in hearing; further reviews
              are most welcome.>>

              I dig it. A ton. That's all I have time for. ;-)

              dp
            • Barry Mazor
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                I interviewed ajson at length for a profile that will be out in No Depresison
                9some of you remember that?) in a couple of weeks. We talked about "eddie"
                and how it got to be there and amde in the almost ochestral way it's done (I
                think it's terrific)..and I've also got some discussion about that in the aryicle with
                Jim Roll.

                It is indeed a politically-oriented record . (You thought "Empire Builders"
                referred to Clear Channel Radio maybe? Though I guess that could be political,
                too <g>).

                I also join in the prediction that people on this list will go for it.

                It is both political and smart-which are not always combined. Oh yeah--good
                music too<g>

                -Barry
              • arsenault_marie
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                  I also join in the prediction that people on this list will go for >it.

                  It's a great record. My favorite of his solo output. I admire him even
                  more for saying what is on his mind in these f*cked up times. I just
                  wonder if some of Jason's fan base might not share his views and how
                  they may react to it. Curious more than anything.

                  He will be touring extensively in support of the new cd. Tour dates
                  are on his website.

                  marie
                • Barry Mazor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                    wrote:
                    I just
                    > wonder if some of Jason's fan base might not share his views and how
                    > they may react to it. Curious more than anything.

                    I hear that. In fact, I'm curious whether some of them will thnk he's not
                    screaming ENOUGH, because he's capable, it turns out--not too surprisingly--of
                    getting more than one idea and thought in a song, (and, naturally, on the whole
                    record), at a time.

                    It's not a bumpersticker sort of political record--but a lively, thoughtful and
                    dang good one, I think.

                    -Barry
                  • Susan McTigue
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
                      Marie wrote:

                      > It's a great record. My favorite of his solo output.

                      How have you heard it Marie? It looks like it won't be available
                      until September.

                      For more political commentary in a rock/country vein, I
                      recommend Roy Zimmerman's "Chicken Hawk" which he just
                      recorded and made available as an MP3 (free) on his website:

                      http://www.roysongs.com/sounds/

                      I've heard it done live several times now and love it! Roy used to
                      be with The Foremen.

                      Susan