Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on August 05, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 5, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on August 05, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Capitols - Cool Jerk - The Very Best Of The Capitols
      [ Less than impressive packaging (i.e. no liner notes, musician
      info, etc) put out by the aptly named Marginal Records. This release
      combines the only two full-length releases by the Capitols; "Dance
      the Cool Jerk" & "We Got a Thing That's in the Groove." This song is
      truly a soul classic. ]

      Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long - Anthology*
      [ This is a new release put out by the UK Soul Brother record
      label. Terrific 70s female soul by the overlooked and
      underappreciated Ann Sexton. ]

      Arthur Alexander - Go Home Girl - Lonely Just Like Me
      [ Ben Vaughn produced this and it features southern soul
      luminaries such as Dan Penn, Spooner Oldham, and Donnie Fritts.
      Arthur Alexander had largely disappeared since the 60s but was lured
      into the studio in by Ben Vaughn. Over two decades later and his
      voice still sounded wonderful. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Andre Williams - Rib Tips - Soulin' - Vol. 1
      [ Uncharacteristic pleasant weather in August in St. Louis
      inspired this set of BBQ-related (in some sense) songs. ]

      Wendy Rene - Bar-B-Q - Still Paying Our Dues

      John Hiatt - Memphis In The Meantime - Bring The Family
      [ Alright, well, this one mentions the Rendezvous in Memphis.
      Kind of a stretch but there you have it. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      James Brown - I Don't Mind - Live At The Apollo (62)
      [ Rightfully regarded as one of the best live albums ever, this
      1962 recording is great on so many levels but on this particular
      song, I just love the background vocals. An expanded version of this
      album was just released this year. ]

      The Dirtbombs - Chains Of Love - Ultraglide In Black

      Faces - Miss Judy's Farm - Five Guys Walk Into A Bar*

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Los Lobos - Jockey Full Of Bourbon - Ride This: The Covers EP*
      [ This EP featuring Los Lobos doing all covers of songs just
      came out this week. This song was written by Tom Waits. You can see
      Los Lobos for free this Saturday night (August 7) at River Splash
      which takes place down at the Arch. Festivities begin at 7:00 PM. ]

      Tres Chicas - Rhapsody - Por Vida*
      [ This brand new 2-CD tribute to Alejando Escovedo has cover
      versions by everybody from a reunited (for this one song) Son Volt &
      Ian Hunter to Lucinda Williams & Steve Earle and portions of the
      proceeds benefit the "Alejandro Escovedo Medical And Living Expense
      Fund." Tres Chicas do a fine version of this Alejandro song and
      people who like this performance would do well to get the Tres
      Chicas "Sweetwater" album which was released recently on Yep Roc
      Records. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Dressy Bessy - Just Once More - Dressy Bessy

      The Plimsouls - Now - The Plimsouls....Plus

      The Pretty Things - Don't Bring Me Down - Come See Me*

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Jim Roll - Eddie Rode The Orphan Train - Inhabiting The Ball
      [ Jim Roll is a very fine songwriter out of Ann Arbor, MI. This
      release features some collaborations with novelists Denis Johnson and
      Rick Moody. However, this song was solely written by Jim Roll and
      remains one of my favorite songs that came out on 2002. Jason
      Ringenberg has a cover of this song on his upcoming "Empire Builders"
      release. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bettie Serveert - Auf Wiedersehen - Private Suit
      [ The theory was put forth by an anonymous North Carolina DJ
      that I had been abducted and replaced by an ersatz DJ since no Bettie
      Serveert or Chuck Prophet songs had made it onto my play lists for
      the past several weeks. These next two songs were played mainly to
      put the theory to rest. ]

      Chuck Prophet - Apology - The Hurting Business

      Ian Hunter - One More Time - Por Vida*

      Alejandro Escovedo - Broken Bottle - Gravity

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Delgados - All You Need Is Hate - Hate
      [ I don't know...after the Tuesday August 3rd election passing
      Amendment 2 to ban gay marriage, maybe this can be our state song.
      Hell, New Jersey has "Born To Run." We need one, too. Maybe the
      next "Marriage Protection Act" will be to amend the state
      constitution to ban divorce and extramarital sex. After all, those
      pose way more of a threat to heterosexual marriage than gay marriage
      ever will. They need to get on that. ]

      Creedence Clearwater Revisited - Fortunate Son - Chronicle
      [ Still has some relevance, don't you think? ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Josh Rouse - 1972 - 1972+

      The Waxwings - Ten O' Clock Your Time - Low To The Ground
      [ The Waxwings will be appearing at the Rocket Bar this Friday
      (August 6th). ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Tommy Womack Band - Going Nowhere - Washington, D.C.

      Gene Clark - White Light - Gene Clark

      George Jones w/ Elvis Costello - Stranger In The House - Almost Blue
      (Expanded)*
      [ This song is on the bonus disc of the expanded version
      of "Almost Blue" which came out this week. The bonus disc is longer
      than the original release disc and features live recordings,
      alternative versions, etc. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Kelly Hogan - No, Bobby Don't - Because It Feel Good

      Richmond Fontaine - Polaroid - Post To Wire
      [ My two favorite songs on this release are this song and "Post
      To Wire." It's probably just a coincidence but Deborah Kelly of the
      Damnations sings with Willie Vlautin on both these songs. Their
      voices really complement one another. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The 5.6.7.8's - Woo Hoo - Bomb The Twist
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
        --On Friday, August 6, 2004 12:31 AM +0000 jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@...>
        wrote:

        > Jim Roll - Eddie Rode The Orphan Train - Inhabiting The Ball
        > [ Jim Roll is a very fine songwriter out of Ann Arbor, MI. This
        > release features some collaborations with novelists Denis Johnson and
        > Rick Moody. However, this song was solely written by Jim Roll and
        > remains one of my favorite songs that came out on 2002. Jason
        > Ringenberg has a cover of this song on his upcoming "Empire Builders"
        > release. ]

        That's my favorite Jim Roll song, both the writing and performance. Is
        Jason R. doing it solo acoustic?

        Carl Z.
        fan of Mr. Roll despite his Cubbie fandom
      • arsenault_marie
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
          > That's my favorite Jim Roll song, both the writing and performance.
          Is > Jason R. doing it solo acoustic?

          Not on the cd. There's a backing band. There is also a song co-written
          by Jason and Jim and produced at Jim's studio in Michigan on the new
          cd. It's called "American Question".

          "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for Jason.
          I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.

          marie
        • Nina Melechen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "arsenault_marie"
            <marsen02@c...> wrote:
            > "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for
            Jason.
            > I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.

            I don't know about his fans in the aggregate but I predict that Carl
            personally will like it a lot.

            Nina M.
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
              --On Friday, August 6, 2004 5:05 PM +0000 Nina Melechen
              <melechen@...> wrote:

              > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "arsenault_marie"
              > <marsen02@c...> wrote:
              >> "Empire Builders" is a very political record - particularly for
              > Jason.
              >> I'm curious to see how all of his fans react to it.
              >
              > I don't know about his fans in the aggregate but I predict that Carl
              > personally will like it a lot.

              He's already got one song I'm interested in hearing; further reviews are
              most welcome.

              Carl Z.
            • Dave Purcell
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                CarlZ:

                <<He's already got one song I'm interested in hearing; further reviews
                are most welcome.>>

                I dig it. A ton. That's all I have time for. ;-)

                dp
              • Barry Mazor
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                  I interviewed ajson at length for a profile that will be out in No Depresison
                  9some of you remember that?) in a couple of weeks. We talked about "eddie"
                  and how it got to be there and amde in the almost ochestral way it's done (I
                  think it's terrific)..and I've also got some discussion about that in the aryicle with
                  Jim Roll.

                  It is indeed a politically-oriented record . (You thought "Empire Builders"
                  referred to Clear Channel Radio maybe? Though I guess that could be political,
                  too <g>).

                  I also join in the prediction that people on this list will go for it.

                  It is both political and smart-which are not always combined. Oh yeah--good
                  music too<g>

                  -Barry
                • arsenault_marie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                    I also join in the prediction that people on this list will go for >it.

                    It's a great record. My favorite of his solo output. I admire him even
                    more for saying what is on his mind in these f*cked up times. I just
                    wonder if some of Jason's fan base might not share his views and how
                    they may react to it. Curious more than anything.

                    He will be touring extensively in support of the new cd. Tour dates
                    are on his website.

                    marie
                  • Barry Mazor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
                      wrote:
                      I just
                      > wonder if some of Jason's fan base might not share his views and how
                      > they may react to it. Curious more than anything.

                      I hear that. In fact, I'm curious whether some of them will thnk he's not
                      screaming ENOUGH, because he's capable, it turns out--not too surprisingly--of
                      getting more than one idea and thought in a song, (and, naturally, on the whole
                      record), at a time.

                      It's not a bumpersticker sort of political record--but a lively, thoughtful and
                      dang good one, I think.

                      -Barry
                    • Susan McTigue
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 7, 2004
                        Marie wrote:

                        > It's a great record. My favorite of his solo output.

                        How have you heard it Marie? It looks like it won't be available
                        until September.

                        For more political commentary in a rock/country vein, I
                        recommend Roy Zimmerman's "Chicken Hawk" which he just
                        recorded and made available as an MP3 (free) on his website:

                        http://www.roysongs.com/sounds/

                        I've heard it done live several times now and love it! Roy used to
                        be with The Foremen.

                        Susan