Clip: Paycheck tribute

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2004
      <http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheMeter/040806.html>

      August 6, 2004

      Take This Song and Love It
      Everybody knows Johnny Paycheck's most famous tune, but the producers of a
      star-studded new tribute record want people to hear the others.

      Until a couple years ago Fran Pelzman Liscio only knew Johnny Paycheck from
      his 1977 hit "Take This Job and Shove It." But in 2002 the New Jersey-based
      writer and former CBGB scenester (she recently finished a script, with
      director Mary Harron, for a film adaptation of the punk-rock oral history
      Please Kill Me) was properly introduced to Paycheck at the Web site of
      Chicago singer-songwriter Robbie Fulks. Liscio was a regular on the site's
      message board, and another visitor, Seattle country DJ Liz Shepherd, turned
      her on to Paycheck's back catalog -- arguably one of the finest and most
      overlooked in country music.

      "I got all his CDs and I immediately fell in love with him," says Liscio.
      Since then she's channeled that love -- and $50,000 of her own money --
      into a Paycheck tribute album, Touch My Heart, which she produced with
      Fulks, a fellow devotee. On August 10, country and bluegrass label Sugar
      Hill will release the disc.

      Born Donald Eugene Lytle in Greenfield, Ohio, in 1938, Paycheck left home
      at 15, and his stint in the navy in the 50s ended in the brig after he
      fractured the skull of his commanding officer. He was resentful of
      authority and prone to violence for much of his life, but he was also a
      musical innovator and first-class performer. For most people, though, his
      reputation still overshadows his virtues. Paycheck's alcohol and cocaine
      habits derailed his million-selling career in the early 80s, and in 1989,
      when he landed in prison for shooting a man in the head in an Ohio bar, he
      owed a small fortune to the IRS. He was released after two years,
      straightened out his life, and in the mid-90s returned to performing.

      Critical reappraisal of his work began with the 1996 release of The Real
      Mr. Heartache, an anthology of his 60s recordings for Little Darlin', his
      label with producer Aubrey Mayhew; in 1997 he was invited to become a
      member of the Grand Ole Opry. But by the time Liscio started listening to
      Paycheck in late 2002, he was gravely ill, broke, and living in a Nashville
      nursing home. "So I went on Robbie's message board and said, `Why doesn't
      somebody do a tribute CD and raise some money for him?'" recalls Liscio.
      When no one replied, she decided to fund a tribute album herself.

      She also began courting Fulks, hoping to persuade him to line up artists
      and produce the music. Fulks liked the idea, but didn't think he was the
      right man. "I had utterly no qualifications to do it," he says. "I didn't
      really have a production resum, and I didn't know any of Paycheck's friends
      or any big-name country stars." But Liscio's persistence won him over. In
      early 2003, after months of phone calls and e-mails, Fulks secured the
      participation of Paycheck's friend and onetime bandmate George Jones and
      Bakersfield honky-tonk kingpin Buck Owens. "Once you've got those two guys
      on board, you're able to call other people a lot easier," he says. "It
      sorta snowballed from there."

      Fulks had already decided he didn't want the Paycheck album to be a typical
      tribute compilation, with artists recording their tracks separately and
      mailing them in. "I hate that method," he says. "I've been involved in
      records like that and the quality control is impossible to maintain."
      Instead he opted to follow the example set by the producers of Caught in
      the Webb, a 2002 celebration of Webb Pierce that he'd contributed to: he
      booked studio time and brought all the singers in to cut their tracks with
      a house band he'd assembled -- which included drummer Gerald Dowd and
      pianist Joe Terry from his own group, ace session musicians Dennis Crouch
      on bass and Hank Singer on fiddle, and longtime Merle Haggard guitarist
      Redd Volkaert.

      The most crucial member of the band was legendary steel guitarist Lloyd
      Green, whose credits run from the Byrds to Faron Young. He'd served as a
      catalyst for much of Paycheck's early work, playing on and writing
      arrangements for nearly all of the Little Darlin' sides. "It was great,"
      says Fulks, "because Lloyd was so into talking about the old days and the
      old records and what made them work in terms of the sound."

      "We had a lot of conversations about how we recorded [the Little Darlin']
      sessions," says Green. "Robbie really cares about the way the music was
      made in the past, unlike so many of the current people in Nashville,
      unfortunately."

      Meanwhile Liscio was trying to get in touch with Paycheck. "The whole idea
      was that the tribute record was gonna be like a big get-well card for him,"
      she says. "My dream had been to meet him and tell him what we were planning
      on doing and get his input." But she never got that chance. Paycheck died
      on February 18, 2003, after a protracted battle with emphysema and asthma.
      "By the time he died we'd already contacted a lot of musicians who said
      they'd do it, and Robbie had even booked some studio time," says Liscio.
      "So there was a sense that if we didn't follow up and do it we'd be
      stopping something very real."

      Fulks stuck to his schedule, and in May and June of last year he and the
      band spent two weekends recording at Nashville's Groundstar Laboratories.
      In addition to legends Jones and Owens, the final cast of contributors
      includes Bobby Bare Sr., young alt-country types like Jeff Tweedy and Neko
      Case, and Nashville neotraditionalists like Jim Lauderdale and Radney
      Foster; there are even a few artists from outside country, like Mavis
      Staples and Marshall Crenshaw. The track list spans almost all of
      Paycheck's long career, from 1959 ("Shakin' the Blues," written by Jones)
      to 1986 ("Old Violin").

      Liscio recouped $20,000 of her initial investment when Sugar Hill bought
      the album, but she donated part of that amount to the Performer's Benefit
      Fund, a charity that provides medical assistance to country musicians
      without adequate health insurance and had helped cover Paycheck's bills
      during his terminal illness. Though she's due a portion of the record's
      proceeds, she says she'll give most of that money to the PBF too. All of
      the artists signed over their royalties from the album to the charity, and
      the majority returned or refused the nominal fee they were offered for
      their services. But everyone involved hopes the album will do more than
      raise funds.

      "I just want it to reach the ears of people who don't necessarily know much
      about Paycheck," says Fulks. "He's sort of seen as a comic-book character,
      in large part because of the way he conducted his life. . . . Hopefully,
      this record will flesh out that picture for a lot of people."

      --BOB MEHR