Clip: Joy Division Biopic May Star Jude Law

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 7:51 AM
      <http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-08/04.shtml#story2>

      Joy Division Biopic May Star Jude Law
      Gene Shalit forced into painful sodomy ritual, made to eat own bowtie

      James Gregory reports:
      Since his suicide in 1980, Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis has become one
      of indie rock's most romanticized heroes. A geeky James Dean, if you will,
      who moaned hauntingly personal lyrics of emotional despair atop a stark
      musical backdrop. Always ready to turn Greek tragedy into box office gold,
      Hollywood has once again come knocking on Curtis' casket, as a biopic of
      his short life is currently in production. Claraflora, a U.S. production
      company, is producing the as-yet-untitled film to be based on the book
      Touching from a Distance, written by Curtis's widow Deborah. Of course,
      2002's excellent 24 Hour Party People has already told much of the Ian
      Curtis/Joy Division story, but y'know, if Dante's Peak and Volcano can
      co-exist in this crazy world, I say run with it.

      Joy Division/New Order bassist Peter Hook told the Manchester Evening News:
      "The film is being made by Hollywood, but what's important is that they get
      the story right." On the casting front, Hook said, "The whisper I've heard
      is that Jude Law will probably play the role. It's not a bad choice. I
      don't know why the guy who played Ian in 24 Hour Party People can't do it--
      because he was absolutely brilliant. When our drummer, Bernard and I saw
      him we were gobsmacked." (Translation: "To be smacked by Gob, the infamous
      8th century Britannic warlord whose penchant for smacking has since been
      unrivaled.)

      On the subject of Curtis' portrayer, the film's producer, Todd Eckert, has
      been more elusive, telling the BBC: "We are speaking with an actor who is
      huge and looks rather a lot like Ian. He has just finished a couple of
      films in which the only thing he listened to was Joy Division and New
      Order." Last time we checked, Jude Law looked more like Simon LeBon, but we
      suppose if they'll put Will Smith in boxer shorts and call his jiggy ass
      Muhammad Ali, this may not be such a stretch. Ahh, if only Gary Oldman was
      young again...

      One final nugget of info on the proposed Curtis film-- which is not to be
      confused with the forthcoming Jude Law film Closer, in which he plays a
      character known only as "Dan"-- is that several reports are citing Moby as
      a possible musical advisor for the project. That's when we reached for our
      revolver.

      .: Pitchfork Review: Joy Division: Refractured
    • Justin Hopper
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
        It feels like Peel's influence is so particularly dominant right now - with
        all the pop- and post-punk, reggae-influenced stuff, etc. he championed
        making comebacks. But then thinking back just now reading that, when WASN'T
        he 'particularly dominant'???

        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3955289.stm

        juddy

        Justin Hopper
        Music Editor
        Pittsburgh City Paper
        650 Smithfield St., Ste. 2200
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222
        www.pghcitypaper.com
        phone: 412-316-3342 x165
        fax: 412-316-3388
        jhopper@...
      • andyb240658
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
          This is so very sad. I'm almost numb thinking about Johns' passing.

          I guess we all have one or two genuine heros in life. John was one of
          mine. I'll be forever grateful for the many bands he introduced me to
          and for his sheer enthusiasm for music and musicians. He taught me to
          look beyond the superficial and for that I will always be in his debt.

          A very sad day.

          Andy

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
            --On Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:59 PM +0000 andyb240658
            <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

            > This is so very sad. I'm almost numb thinking about Johns' passing.
            >
            > I guess we all have one or two genuine heros in life. John was one of
            > mine. I'll be forever grateful for the many bands he introduced me to
            > and for his sheer enthusiasm for music and musicians. He taught me to
            > look beyond the superficial and for that I will always be in his debt.
            >
            > A very sad day.

            Has any radio programmer *ever* had a hand in introducing so many musical
            acts to the masses? If you just include the Peel Sessions it's an amazing
            list, stretching well beyond the genre limits for half a dozen American
            stations let alone one man's show. And he was still keeping his ears open
            at 65, no doubt would have continued along the same path for another 15
            years had he lived that long.

            My shows were better off for the example he set and the music he introduced
            & hundreds of other DJs whose shows sound nothing like each other could say
            the same thing.

            RIP.