Re: [fearnwhiskey] clip for Carl Z: Bad news on the Blue Nile

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      --On Tuesday, August 3, 2004 2:53 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
      <cwilson@...> wrote:

      > It's mildly alarming that the Blue Nile are now signed to Sanctuary,
      > graveyard of '80s pop greats. The pity is that anyone coming fresh to
      > them will not get what all the fuss has been over the two decades of
      > their resolutely unfashionable career.

      _Hats_ is an awfully tough standard, and in that context the last disc was
      something of a disappointment. I still am looking forward to hearing
      Buchanan's voice on some new material.

      Carl Z.
    • Chris Hill
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        > _Hats_ is an awfully tough standard, and in that context the last disc was
        > something of a disappointment. I still am looking forward to hearing
        > Buchanan's voice on some new material.
        >
        > Carl Z.

        Agreed. His voice by itself is worth the purchase: witness the stark rarity "Regret", where it's him and intermittent piano notes. Tastes vary - the BN list has been abuzz lately, with people mentioning their favorite and least favorite BN tracks/albums. Some of the opinions are definitely foreign to my way of thinking. I don't know art, but I know what I like. _Hats_ is a desert island disc for me.

        Fwiw, the first single from the album comes with the two b-sides of their first 7": "The Second Act" and "I Love this Life". Brilliant tracks - will be nice to set my vinyl single to rest.

        Chris
        np: Max Richter, _The Blue Notebooks_
      • Kevin J. Hosey
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          Well, Buffalo's loss will soon by Santa Fe's gain; Rex Hobart plays his
          last show here Sunday, Aug. 8, at the Sportsmen's Lounge before he and
          his wife Paula leave Buffalo for Santa Fe, where Paula has an art
          conservation internship.
          Rex and his Buffalo band, the Wrecks, have been sounding damn good
          lately (I've caught them three times in the last few weeks, featured at
          Americanarama 8, opening for the Tarbox Ramblers a week and a half ago
          and headlining Sunday night) and the new material is pretty darn twangy
          and honky tonking.
          So if you're in/near Buffalo or want directions, drop me an e-mail.

          Kevin
          http://Buffaloroots.com