Re: Clip: Mavis Staples

  • Barry Mazor
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
      They are finally releasing a CD and theatrical film of the big blues show at radio
      City in February '93, which I reviewed at the time for No depresison; this was
      tied to the Scorses documeentary and Year of the Blues stuff, but separate.

      I mention this, because it contains Mavi's truy outstanding take on Blind lemon
      jefferson's "See That My Grave is Kept Clean" and her rauckus womens' blues
      number with Ruth Brown and Natalie Cole, "Men Are Just Like Streetcars".

      the CD is called "Lightning in a Bottle". When the number with Ruth Brown (and I
      can still hardly believe that I saw Mavis Staples performing with Ruth Brown! is
      shown in the movie--you'll see that the dirty dog man standing there and taking
      it is Bill cosby.

      -Barry
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
        --On Tuesday, August 3, 2004 3:09 PM +0000 Barry Mazor <brmaz@...>
        wrote:

        > her rauckus womens' blues
        > number with Ruth Brown and Natalie Cole, "Men Are Just Like Streetcars".

        That's quite a trio -- not sure I can imagine the three singing together.

        Carl Z.
        who dug the Prince stories (though my favorite is Charlie Murphy's
        basketball story)
      • Jason Gross
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
          I hate to be among the chorus to cast aspersions on the Mavis story
          (especially since Kot is one of my favorite writers) but I have to
          wonder about the Dylan story.

          Mavis said that they had been going out for a few years and then
          broke it off in 1969- by that time, Dylan had been married to his
          wife Sara for a few years (since 1965) so that seems kind of odd.

          Best,
          Jason