Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 29, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 29, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      James Brown - I Got You - Star Time Box Set
      [ This four-CD box set is the best James Brown collection out
      there. I don't know if I thought of this song because Rams training
      camp is gearing up (they always play this song after Rams wins) or
      what. ]

      Linda Lyndell - What A Man - Complete Stax/Volt Singles - Vol. 2 1968-
      71
      [ She only had two singles for Stax/Volt but they were really
      good singles. ]

      Elvis Costello - My Mood Swings - The Big Lebowski OST
      [ "You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are
      ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a
      toe by this afternoon--with nail polish."
      ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Martina Topley-Bird - Anything - Anything*
      [ Finally, this album which was only available under the
      title "Quixotic" as an import has just been released domestically.
      It's now called "Anything" and has three less songs and is sequenced
      differently but it's well worth owning. ]

      The Roots - Why (What's Goin On?) - The Tipping Point*
      [ Looser & probably not any single that can match "The Seed 2.0"
      from "Phrenology but there's still lots of really good music on
      here. As usual, a challenge playing some of the songs in a morning
      slot because of the FCC. I'd say the lyrics on this song are as
      timely as it gets. ]

      The Genies - Know What To Do When You Get It - Super Funk Presents
      Funk Soul Sisters
      [ Very entertaining compilation of classic and rare female
      funk. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music - Sweet Soul Music
      [ This soul classic was written by Arthur Conley & Otis Redding
      and was recorded when Arthur Conley was only 21 years old. Otis
      Redding took him under his wing and produced this album in 1967. ]

      The High Numbers - I'm The Face - Quadrophenia OST
      [ Sound familiar? That's because The Who changed their name to
      The High Numbers for a few months in 1964. ]

      Sahara Hotnights - Who Do You Dance For? - Kiss & Tell*
      [ This latest release by the Swedish band just hit the streets
      this week. They are currently touring with the Hives. Lots of songs
      that will sound great on the radio to these ears. Pop with an edge. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Hives - A Little More For Little You - Tyrannosaurus Hives*
      [ This new release by the Swedish band came out last week and
      pretty much picks up right where "Veni Vedi Vicious" left off. If you
      liked that one, you'll like this one. This song reminds me of The
      Clash. ]

      Mott The Hoople - I Wish I Was Your Mother - Mott
      [ A beautiful and sad song. ]

      Caitlin Cary - By Eleven - Por Vida*
      [ This brand new 2-CD tribute to Alejando Escovedo has cover
      versions by everybody from a reunited (for this one song) Son Volt &
      Ian Hunter to Lucinda Williams & Steve Earle. Very reasonably priced
      and portions of the proceeds benefit the "Alejandro Escovedo Medical
      And Living Expense Fund." Buy it. You'll be glad you did. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Faces - Too Bad - Five Guys Walk Into A Bar Box Set*
      [ Any Faces fan has to own this 4-CD box set which was just
      released this week. Includes 31 previously unreleased tracks and many
      rarities. Highly recommended. ]

      Small Faces - Lazy Sunday - The BBC Sessions
      [ Alright, so this set has a bit of a British theme to it. ]

      Kinks - Death Of A Clown - Something Else By The Kinks
      [ I don't think any Kinks album surpassed this one. This reissue
      also comes with eight bonus tracks. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Thrills - Say It Ain't So - So Much For The City
      [ Appearing this Saturday (7/31) along with Gomez at The
      Pageant. ]

      Bob Dylan - The Man In me - The Big Lebowski OST
      [ Hard to hear this song and not picture Jeff Bridges wafting
      across the screen. ]

      Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Tell The Boys - Oh, My Girl*
      [ This is the second and new release from Jesse Sykes & The
      Sweet Hereafter. I wish the tempos varied more from song to song but
      most of the songs are of high quality. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Cowboy Junkies - Don't Need You - Por Vida*
      [ Appearing at The Pageant on Tuesday (8/3) ]

      Tres Chicas - Take The Devil Out Of Me - Sweetwater*
      [ Fine harmonies on this George Jones cover. The more I hear
      this release the more I like it. ]

      Jon Dee Graham - Harvest - The Great Battle*
      [ This upcoming release on New West has some terrific songs on
      it. No particular reason why I picked the one cover other than the
      fact it sounds kind of like Tom Waits rocking out on a Neil Young
      song. Just seemed like the right thing to do. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Jason Ringenberg - Rebel Flag In Germany - Empire Builders*
      [ I suspect this upcoming release will make some folks angry.
      At least, it will be the right folks that get angry. More political
      than you've ever heard Jason Ringenberg, that's for sure. ]

      The Simpsons - The Amendment Song - Songs In The Key Of Springfield
      [ A song about passing a crazy amendment. Amendments are
      supposed to protect freedoms. Not take them away. ]

      Hank Thompson - A Six Pack To Go - A Six Pack To Go (Reissue)*
      [ Sundazed just reissued this compilation of Hank Thompson
      drinking songs that was originally released in 1966. Merle Travis is
      featured on electric guitar on all but one song. With titles
      like "Bubbles In My Beer" and "Hangover Tavern", how can you pass
      this one up? ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Unknown - What Is Beer? - The Salty Dog Presents Music To Drink Beer
      By - Vol. 2
      [ You wanted to know...now you do. ]

      Johnny Paycheck - Fifteen Beers - The Soul & The Edge

      Rockhouse Ramblers - Bar Time - Bar Time
      [ Appearing at the Focal Point on August 13 (yep, Friday the
      13th) along with the Rhythm Busters out of Lawrence, KS (which
      features Junior Barnard). ]

      Roger Miller - Chug-A-Lug - King Of The Road: The Genius Of Roger
      Miller
      [ Just trying to satisfy the beer-drinking listeners out there
      with this set. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Dinah Washington & Brook Benton - A Rockin' Good Way - Two Of Us

      Louis Jordan - Jumpin' At The Jubilee - Jumpin' And Jivin' At Jubilee
      [ The quality of the live recording of these two shows from the
      40s is flat-out amazing. ]

      Roy Montrell - (Every Time I Hear That) Mellow Saxophone - The
      Specialty Story
      [ This comes from a really great five-CD box set which has the
      likes of early Sam Cooke, Little Richard, Clifton Chenier, etc. ]

      Otis Redding - You Left The Water Running - The Definitive Otis
      Redding

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Little Richard - Slippin' And Slidin' (Peepin' & Hidin') - The
      Specialty Story
    • Barry Mazor
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2 6:31 AM
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "jwmoosefan2001" <johnw@c...> wrote:

        > Tres Chicas - .... The more I hear this release the more I like it. ]

        Indeed. And wouldn't they be a fine addition to some show in St. Louis next
        June.....just thinking...Them and what, if rumors I hear are true, would be a
        Knitters reunion ongoing by sometime then too. Hmmm.

        -Some guy in Nashville