RE: [fearnwhiskey] Richard Thompson questions

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2004
      Carl Z:

      <<Mattacks is back? I guess Michael Jerome was a fill-in for the _Old
      Kit Bag_ disc and tour.>>

      IIRC, Jerome played on the Old Kit Bag, but not that tour. I seem to
      remember reading that he was already booked or some such. Another
      drummer -- also Michael something, I think -- played on that tour, and
      then Mattacks came back at some point.

      I haven't seen RT with Mattacks and while I'm well aware of his history,
      Jerome was flat out one of the best drummers I've ever seen, and
      perfectly sympatico with RT, in the two full-band shows I saw. I hope he
      comes back.

      dp
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2004
        --On Wednesday, July 14, 2004 10:11 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dap@...>
        wrote:

        > I haven't seen RT with Mattacks and while I'm well aware of his history,
        > Jerome was flat out one of the best drummers I've ever seen, and
        > perfectly sympatico with RT, in the two full-band shows I saw. I hope he
        > comes back.

        I saw Thompson play with the exact lineup he's using now eight years ago,
        and they were fantastic. Mattacks and Danny Thompson sound like they've
        played together for a century, very sensitive to each other and to RT.

        Wasn't Teddy Thompson part of the band last time around?

        Carl Z.
      • kjhosey@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2004
          The rhythm section of Danny Thompson and Dave Mattacks sounded exactly like Carl describes it/them; I haven't heard Jerome play live with Richard Thompson (this being my first RT show), so I can't compare them.
          BTW, the review has been written and posted and while the Web site is up, we are doing some final fine tuning of it; I will let you guys know when it is "ready." Thank you again for your help, everyone.

          Kevin

          > From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
          > Date: 2004/07/14 Wed AM 10:41:07 EDT
          > To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: RE: [fearnwhiskey] Richard Thompson questions
          >

          > --On Wednesday, July 14, 2004 10:11 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dap@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I haven't seen RT with Mattacks and while I'm well aware of his history,
          > > Jerome was flat out one of the best drummers I've ever seen, and
          > > perfectly sympatico with RT, in the two full-band shows I saw. I hope he
          > > comes back.
          >
          > I saw Thompson play with the exact lineup he's using now eight years ago,
          > and they were fantastic. Mattacks and Danny Thompson sound like they've
          > played together for a century, very sensitive to each other and to RT.
          >
          > Wasn't Teddy Thompson part of the band last time around?
          >
          > Carl Z.
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2004
            Carl Z:

            > Wasn't Teddy Thompson part of the band last time around?

            He was on the first leg of the Mock Tudor tour, but then he went off to
            promote his record. He wasn't on the second leg of the tour that I saw.
            I dunno if he toured with Old Kit Bag, but I don't think so from
            remembering what friends said about it.

            dp
          • Barry Mazor
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14, 2004
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dap@p...> wrote:
              >> I haven't seen RT with Mattacks

              Then you're in for some tight collaboration and understanding when ya do!
            • Stevo
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 16, 2004
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                > I saw Thompson play with the exact lineup he's using now eight
                years ago,
                > and they were fantastic. Mattacks and Danny Thompson sound like
                they've
                > played together for a century, very sensitive to each other and to
                RT.

                > Wasn't Teddy Thompson part of the band last time around?
                >
                > Carl Z.

                Hope this line up comes in this direction. I really like RT.
                If he's full band does that mean he's playing electric?
                Only time I've seen him was solo acoustic.
                i'm thinking of getting the John Martyn Live At Leeds cd with Danny
                Thompson on at least, though drummer is John Stevens.
                sounds like it oughta be great.
                plus I'm still trying to work out if I can get to see bErt Jansch and
                Bernard Butler playing next week.
                Stevo
                Np oL Dirty Bastard Snakes