Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 01, 2004

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 01, 2004

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Jr. Walker & The Allstars - (I'm A) Road Runner - Shotgun
      [ I figured people were clamoring for a road runner set. And if
      they weren't, well, they should have been. ]

      The Pretty Things - Road Runner - Come See Me: The Very Best Of The
      Pretty Things*
      [ This song was penned by Bo Diddley & can be found on this
      really well-done compilation that just came out in April. ]

      Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Road Runner - The Best Of
      Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers: The Beserkley Years
      [ Just try to stay in a bad mood when you hear this one. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Marah - East - 20,000 Streets Under The Sky*
      [ This is off the brand new CD which hit the stores this week.
      I was going to play "Freedom Park" but Cat Pick from Emotional Rescue
      beat me to it. She's crafty that way. ]

      Velvet Underground - Sweet Jane - The Best Of The Velvet Underground
      [ At this point, I figured people were coming down from the high
      of the road runner set and were now clamoring for some Velvet
      Underground songs. ]

      Bettie Serveert - Stephanie Says - Bettie Serveert Plays Venus In
      Furs
      [ This is the spottiest release that Bettie Serveert has ever
      put out but there are a few good versions of Velvet Underground songs
      on this now out-of-print CD that was recorded live in Amsterdam in
      1997. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Arthur Alexander - Every Day I Have To Cry Some - Lonely Just Like
      Me+
      [ I received an e-mail suggesting I play some Arthur Alexander.
      What's really impressive about this recording is that it was done in
      1992, long after having his majority of success in the 60s, and it
      easily matches the quality of those earlier recordings. Sadly, he
      died of a heart attack at 51 just a few months after the release of
      this album. His songs have been covered by everybody from the
      Beatles & Rolling Stones to Dean Martin & Dusty Springfield. ]

      Billy Stewart - Summertime - Hits & Rarities
      [ This is one of my favorite soul vocal performances ever. Just
      listen to what he does on this George Gershwin song. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Buzzcocks - Everybody's Happy Nowadays - Singles Going Steady
      [ Now this is what I call a compilation of great singles. ]

      The Clash - Lost In The Supermarket - London Calling
      [ Like "Singles Going Steady", this was also released in 1979.
      One of the best rock double-albums ever made. ]

      The Kinks - David Watts - Something Else By The Kinks
      [ So concludes the set of almost perfect rock albums. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Danko/Fjeld/Andersen - Blue River - Danko/Fjeld/Andersen
      [ Beautiful & soulful vocal by Rick Danko on this song written
      by Eric Andersen. This song also features Garth Hudson from The Band
      on accordion. This song was dedicated to Roy Kasten because he likes
      songs about rivers. ]

      Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner - Solitude Standing
      [ I know she later remixed this with the backing of DNA but I
      really like this a cappella version from "Solitude Standing." It
      sounds incredible with headphones on. ]

      Richard & Linda Thompson - For Shame Of Doing Wrong - Pour Down
      Like Silver+
      [ I had a request for something by Richard Thompson. I hope
      this oft-overlooked song filled the bill. The show at The Pageant
      last Friday with the Richard Thompson Band was wonderful. Where else
      on St. Louis radio can you possibly hope to hear Richard & Linda
      Thompson? ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Magnetic Fields - It's Only Time - i*
      [ This song goes out to Clint (The Voice Of Homeland Security) &
      Julie and to Amy Lamb & Todd Schnitzer. Both couples are getting
      married this Saturday. Congratulations! In the words of Stephin
      Merritt - "Why would I stop loving you a hundred years from now? /
      it's only time. / It's only time. /
      What could stop this beating heart once it made a vow? / It's only
      time.
      It's only time. / If rain won't change your mind, let it fall, / The
      rain won't change my heart at all. / Lock this chain around my hand.
      Throw away the key. / It's only time. / It's only time. / Years,
      falling like grains of sand, mean nothing to me. / It's only time. /
      It's only time. / If snow won't change your mind, let it fall. /The
      snow won't change my heart, not at all. / (I'll walk your lands,) /
      I'll walk your lands, / (and swim your sea,)
      And swim your sea. / Marry me. / Marry me. / (And in your
      hands,) /And in your hands, / (I will be free,) / I will be free. /
      Marry me. / Marry me. /
      Why would I stop loving you a hundred years from now?
      ]

      Chris Farlowe - Out Of Time - This Is The Modern World*
      [ This is off of a recently released 2-CD collection which
      highlights Mod anthems & R&B / Soul. This Rolling Stones cover was a
      big hit overseas for the UK R&B singer. ]

      The Box Tops - The Letter - This Is The Modern World*

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Tres Chicas - Deep As Your Pocket - Sweetwater*
      [ June was quite the month for the NC label which also released
      Marah, The 45s, Reverend Horton Heat, & Chris Stamey this month.
      This Tres Chicas release just hit the stores this week and includes
      this fine version of the Loretta Lynn song. ]

      Candi Staton - In The Ghetto - Candi Staton
      [ Pity on the poor guy who called in and asked me who this was
      and had to listen to me explain why he had to own this album. I'll
      say it again...best soul reissue (or is it a compilation) of the
      year. ]

      Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose - Van Lear Rose*
      [ It still amazes me that at 70, she still can sing this well.
      Inspiring, actually. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bobby Bare Jr's Young Criminals' Starvation League - Valentine -
      From The End Of Your Leash*
      [ Appearing this Friday (July 2) at Off Broadway. As an added
      bonus, you get to hear the Good Griefs open up. I hate the fact that
      Jon Dee Graham at Frederick's Music Lounge is opposite this show.
      Really tough choice. ]

      Old 97's - Timebomb - Too Far To Care
      [ Appearing tonight (Thursday 7/1) at Mississippi Nights. It's
      not too late...you can still make it. ]

      The Pogues - Sally Mac Lennane - Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash
      [ Largely autobiographical song written by occasional genius,
      Shane MacGowan. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Replacements - Left Of The Dial - Tim
      [ Because almost everything worthwhile on radio happens at the
      left end of the dial. ]

      Grand Champeen - Bottle Glass - The One That Brought You
      [ A band you have to experience live to get the whole
      picture. ]

      Nadine - So That I Don't Miss You - Downtown, Saturday*
      [ This was requested last week and I couldn't get it on in time.
      Give me a week and I'll eventually come through. ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Mable John - Able Mable - Stay Out Of The Kitchen
      [ This version was previously unreleased and Mable John says in
      the liner notes that this version is superior to the originally-
      released version because of the incredible drumming of Al Jackson.
      All the songs on this release feature Booker T. & The MGs (less Duck
      Dunn) plus Isaac Hayes on selected tracks. ]

      Shorty Long - Devil With The Blue Dress On - Songs The Cramps
      Taught Us - Vol. 3
      [ This original and unsurpassed version was released in 1964.
      Shorty Long is also known for ""Function at the Junction." ]

      Charlie Rich - Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave - Feel Like Going
      Home: The Essential Charlie Rich
      [ This 2-CD compilation covers most of his best work for the
      Sun/Phillips, Groove, Smash, and Epic record labels. ]

      - -
      [ And so concludes this week's episode of "Memphis To
      Manchester." Thanks for listening and / or reading the play list. ]