Re: [fearnwhiskey] Ronnie Ray-gun

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 6, 2004
      Good call, Kevin. Someone with a radio show really ought to do a special
      this week, though a few of the songs I listed would run into FCC issues.

      Carl Z.

      --On Sunday, June 6, 2004 2:46 AM -0400 "Kevin J. Hosey"
      <kjhosey@...> wrote:

      > Carl,
      > one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
      > love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
      > my college radio days.
      >
      > Kevin
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 6, 2004
        Great list, Carl. Here are a few more I found at:
        http://www.horriblescreechingnoise.com/reagan.html (with sound clips)

        Old Mother Reagan (Violent Femmes)
        Ballad of Ronald Reagan (Austin Lounge Lizards)
        Two Tribes (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
        Money$ Too Tight (To Mention) (Simply Red) -- about Reagan??
        If Reagan Played Disco (The Minutemen)
        Rapmaster Ronnie (Reathel Bean & The DBC)
        Talking Ronald Reagan Blues (Loudon Wainwright III)
        (We Begin Bombing in) 5 Minutes (Bonzo Goes to Washington)

        There's a discussion on a local music community msg board about Reagan's
        death and it cracks me up how many people are chastising me for not
        respecting the death of a great man. I'm getting preached to by people
        who were born the year that bastard took office.

        dp

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 6, 2004
          Demented Youth do a punk/noise song called "Assassination Attempt" on the Alternative Tentacles compilation Not So Quiet on the Western Front. It is a hilarious song that starts out with someone in the band yelling "Hey Mr President!" and then it is followed by a little over minute of total mayhem and noise.
          ----- Original Message ----- From: Dave Purcell

          one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
          love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
          my college radio days.

          Kevin

          On Saturday, June 5, 2004, at 09:41 PM, Carl Zimring wrote:

          > --On Saturday, June 5, 2004 8:55 PM -0400 Steve Gardner
          > <steve@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> "I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
          >> I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
          >> Lord I love to watch his neck skin
          >> Wiggle when he chews
          >> Lord, I got them Ronnie Ray-gun blues"
          >> -Translator
          >>
          >> Don't worry, I won't quote Carmaig DeForest, but you can all sing it
          >> in
          >> your heads.
          >>
          >> steve
          >
          > I had waited over a decade to do a show on Reagan's death, and the
          > bastard
          > outlived my tenure on the radio. But here's a list of songs
          > appropriate
          > for the week.
          >
          > Camper Van Beethoven: Sweethearts, Cowboys From Hollywood Carmaig de
          > Forest: Hey Judas (yes, my personal favorite)
          > Ramones: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
          > Shattered Faith: Reagan Country
          > Dead Kennedys: California Über Alles (In God We Trust, Inc. version)
          > Hasil Adkins: Reagan Blues
          > Minutemen: If Reagan Played Disco
          > Robyn Hitchcock: The President
          > Non Phixon: I Shot Reagan
          > A.P.P.L.E.: Impeach Reagan
          > D.O.A: Fucked Up Ronnie
          > D.R.I.: Reaganomics
          > Wasted Youth: Reagan's In
          > The Fartz: Battle Hymn of Ronald Reagan
          > D.I.: Reagan's Der Fuhrer
          > Prince: Ronnie Talk to Russia
          > Reagan Youth: Reagan Youth
          > Bruce Cockburn: People See Through You
          > R.E.M.: Ignoreland
          > NOFX: Reagan Sucks
          > Suicidal Tendencies: I Shot the Devil
          >
          > Carl

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Kevin J. Hosey
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6, 2004
            Now that would be a radio show I would record, Carl. I am happily
            surprised at how many of these songs I played way back when and how
            many are still in my collection.
            And thank you, Dave; I was about to search to see who did "(We Begin
            Bombing in) Five Minutes." That one used to spook me every time I heard
            Ronnie's voice.

            Kevin

            On Sunday, June 6, 2004, at 08:30 AM, Carl Zimring wrote:

            > Good call, Kevin. Someone with a radio show really ought to do a
            > special
            > this week, though a few of the songs I listed would run into FCC
            > issues.
            >
            > Carl Z.
          • Mock the DJ
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 6, 2004
              well,
              it looks like you guys made my Mock for this Friday that much easier!!
              Woohoo!
              Get yer tapedecks ready

              (of course, that depending if our webstream is back up and running by then).

              And for all of those who missed the Chris Brokaw performance, don't
              worry...so did I! (as we had some technical difficulties, and I didn't get
              to play it). I may try to get it out there this Friday as well.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                --On Monday, June 7, 2004 1:15 AM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                wrote:

                > well,
                > it looks like you guys made my Mock for this Friday that much easier!!
                > Woohoo!
                > Get yer tapedecks ready
                >
                > (of course, that depending if our webstream is back up and running by
                > then).

                Not again!

                If you want more serious songs, Paul, REM's "Flowers of Guatemala" is a
                typically opaque critique of Reagan's Central America policy, and most of
                Bruce Cockburn's 80s output is a critique of Reagan's foreign policy. Does
                Billy Bragg have any Reagan songs? (And does Langford? Thatcher, sure...)

                Carl Z.
              • kjhosey@adelphia.net
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                  Thanks for jarring my mind, Carl; what about most of the Clash's "Sandinista?"

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                    --On Monday, June 7, 2004 9:27 AM -0400 kjhosey@... wrote:

                    > Thanks for jarring my mind, Carl; what about most of the Clash's
                    > "Sandinista?"

                    Wasn't that recorded in the waning days of the Carter administration?

                    Carl Z.
                  • kjhosey@adelphia.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                      Carl,
                      yes, indeed, it was released at the end of the Carter Administration in 1980; my mistake.

                      Kevin

                      > From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
                      > Date: 2004/06/07 Mon AM 09:28:38 EDT
                      > To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: RE: [fearnwhiskey] Ronnie Ray-gun
                      >

                      > --On Monday, June 7, 2004 9:27 AM -0400 kjhosey@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thanks for jarring my mind, Carl; what about most of the Clash's
                      > > "Sandinista?"
                      >
                      > Wasn't that recorded in the waning days of the Carter administration?
                      >
                      > Carl Z.
                    • Steve Gardner
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                        Does Billy Bragg have any Reagan songs? (And does Langford? Thatcher,
                        sure...)
                        =

                        Specifically about Reagan is "I Don't Need This Pressure Ron". It's a b-side
                        to an old single, but now it can be found on the Rhino b-sides CD called
                        Reaching to the Converted. Also the DC Remix of "Days Like These" which can
                        be found on the Help Save the Youth of America EP.

                        Other songs that are certainly Reagan influence, but they don't specifically
                        mention him, such as "Help Save the Youth of America" and "Think Again".

                        steve, Billy Bragg freak

                        DAYS LIKE THESE (D.C. REMIX)

                        It's morning in America and you can be your best
                        If you have a valid credit card and can pass a urine test
                        It's midnight in El Salvador, they're spending dollars in your name
                        And it's no bloody consolation that Reagan can not run again

                        They'll trade with the Ayatollah if they can't convince Congress
                        The only type of patriot is an anti-communist
                        And I shake my head and wonder what would Joe McCarthy say
                        If he could walk through downtown Washington DC today

                        The CIA on campus are taking down some names
                        Inviting folks to join them in their coke and dagger games
                        And does it ever prick your conscience, as "We are the world" you sing
                        When you know today we're so far away from the dreams of Martin Luther King

                        The Brotherhood Of The Elephant and the Party Of The Ass
                        Are desperate for contestants to take part in the farce
                        And selling democracy down the tubes with the ad man's expertise
                        The majority by their silence will pay for days like these

                        Peace, bread, work and freedom are the best we can achieve
                        And wearing badges is not enough in days like these

                        Words & Music : Billy Bragg
                      • David Atteberry
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                          I think Rain Like the Sound of Trains has a few Reagan songs on it. Specifically I'm thinking of School and What I Want.

                          David

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • Kathleen Loebig
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                            Burma closed their raging 2 hour set with "Class War"
                            Saturday night as a nod to his "legacy"...

                            > Good call, Kevin. Someone with a radio show really ought to do a special
                            > this week, though a few of the songs I listed would run into FCC issues.
                            >
                            > Carl Z.
                            >
                            > --On Sunday, June 6, 2004 2:46 AM -0400 "Kevin J. Hosey"
                            > <kjhosey@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Carl,
                            > > one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
                            > > love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
                            > > my college radio days.
                            > >
                            > > Kevin
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            ~~Opera is like sex: the more you get the more you want- David Parry~~

                            From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

                            Powered by Outblaze
                          • Susan McTigue
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 7, 2004
                              Carl:

                              > waited over a decade to do a show on Reagan's death

                              There's also Van Dyke Parks' album "Tokyo Rose" with the song
                              "Trade War"

                              Trade war!
                              Thanks to our man Ronald Reagan
                              He is gone and we are begging
                              For just the interest on the loan
                              And calamity unknown
                              etc.

                              Susan
                            • Barry Mazor
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 8, 2004
                                This, uh, alt.remembrance reminds us that Talking Heads' "The Road to
                                Nowhere" may be the ultimate Reagan song..

                                http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0423/carson.php
                              • kjhosey@adelphia.net
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 8, 2004
                                  Talk about surreal; I just finished reading Tom Carson's column while listening to/hearing Rush Limbaugh go on and on and on about the "hatred" he has heard "liberal" commentators use toward Reagan after three days of peace over his record/actions.
                                  This is a serious example of divergent views of America or divergent Americas.
                                  FYI, I now work in the Democratic majority office of the Erie County Legislature; some people here like knowing their enemy, some are outraged but entertained. I am sickened and know this blowhard way too well.

                                  Kevin

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 8, 2004
                                    I knew this week would be hard to take, but this is too much.

                                    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040608/ap_on_go_co/reagan_us_money_1

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT