Ronnie Ray-gun

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5 5:55 PM
      "I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
      I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
      Lord I love to watch his neck skin
      Wiggle when he chews
      Lord, I got them Ronnie Ray-gun blues"
      -Translator

      Don't worry, I won't quote Carmaig DeForest, but you can all sing it in your heads.

      steve

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5 6:41 PM
        --On Saturday, June 5, 2004 8:55 PM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
        wrote:

        > "I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
        > I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
        > Lord I love to watch his neck skin
        > Wiggle when he chews
        > Lord, I got them Ronnie Ray-gun blues"
        > -Translator
        >
        > Don't worry, I won't quote Carmaig DeForest, but you can all sing it in
        > your heads.
        >
        > steve

        I had waited over a decade to do a show on Reagan's death, and the bastard
        outlived my tenure on the radio. But here's a list of songs appropriate
        for the week.

        Camper Van Beethoven: Sweethearts, Cowboys From Hollywood
        Carmaig de Forest: Hey Judas (yes, my personal favorite)
        Ramones: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
        Shattered Faith: Reagan Country
        Dead Kennedys: California Über Alles (In God We Trust, Inc. version)
        Hasil Adkins: Reagan Blues
        Minutemen: If Reagan Played Disco
        Robyn Hitchcock: The President
        Non Phixon: I Shot Reagan
        A.P.P.L.E.: Impeach Reagan
        D.O.A: Fucked Up Ronnie
        D.R.I.: Reaganomics
        Wasted Youth: Reagan's In
        The Fartz: Battle Hymn of Ronald Reagan
        D.I.: Reagan's Der Fuhrer
        Prince: Ronnie Talk to Russia
        Reagan Youth: Reagan Youth
        Bruce Cockburn: People See Through You
        R.E.M.: Ignoreland
        NOFX: Reagan Sucks
        Suicidal Tendencies: I Shot the Devil

        Carl
      • Kevin J. Hosey
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5 11:46 PM
          Carl,
          one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
          love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
          my college radio days.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6 5:30 AM
            Good call, Kevin. Someone with a radio show really ought to do a special
            this week, though a few of the songs I listed would run into FCC issues.

            Carl Z.

            --On Sunday, June 6, 2004 2:46 AM -0400 "Kevin J. Hosey"
            <kjhosey@...> wrote:

            > Carl,
            > one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
            > love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
            > my college radio days.
            >
            > Kevin
          • Dave Purcell
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 6 6:37 AM
              Great list, Carl. Here are a few more I found at:
              http://www.horriblescreechingnoise.com/reagan.html (with sound clips)

              Old Mother Reagan (Violent Femmes)
              Ballad of Ronald Reagan (Austin Lounge Lizards)
              Two Tribes (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
              Money$ Too Tight (To Mention) (Simply Red) -- about Reagan??
              If Reagan Played Disco (The Minutemen)
              Rapmaster Ronnie (Reathel Bean & The DBC)
              Talking Ronald Reagan Blues (Loudon Wainwright III)
              (We Begin Bombing in) 5 Minutes (Bonzo Goes to Washington)

              There's a discussion on a local music community msg board about Reagan's
              death and it cracks me up how many people are chastising me for not
              respecting the death of a great man. I'm getting preached to by people
              who were born the year that bastard took office.

              dp

              one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
              love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
              my college radio days.

              Kevin

              On Saturday, June 5, 2004, at 09:41 PM, Carl Zimring wrote:

              > --On Saturday, June 5, 2004 8:55 PM -0400 Steve Gardner
              > <steve@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> "I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
              >> I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
              >> Lord I love to watch his neck skin
              >> Wiggle when he chews
              >> Lord, I got them Ronnie Ray-gun blues"
              >> -Translator
              >>
              >> Don't worry, I won't quote Carmaig DeForest, but you can all sing it
              >> in
              >> your heads.
              >>
              >> steve
              >
              > I had waited over a decade to do a show on Reagan's death, and the
              > bastard
              > outlived my tenure on the radio. But here's a list of songs
              > appropriate
              > for the week.
              >
              > Camper Van Beethoven: Sweethearts, Cowboys From Hollywood Carmaig de
              > Forest: Hey Judas (yes, my personal favorite)
              > Ramones: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
              > Shattered Faith: Reagan Country
              > Dead Kennedys: California Über Alles (In God We Trust, Inc. version)
              > Hasil Adkins: Reagan Blues
              > Minutemen: If Reagan Played Disco
              > Robyn Hitchcock: The President
              > Non Phixon: I Shot Reagan
              > A.P.P.L.E.: Impeach Reagan
              > D.O.A: Fucked Up Ronnie
              > D.R.I.: Reaganomics
              > Wasted Youth: Reagan's In
              > The Fartz: Battle Hymn of Ronald Reagan
              > D.I.: Reagan's Der Fuhrer
              > Prince: Ronnie Talk to Russia
              > Reagan Youth: Reagan Youth
              > Bruce Cockburn: People See Through You
              > R.E.M.: Ignoreland
              > NOFX: Reagan Sucks
              > Suicidal Tendencies: I Shot the Devil
              >
              > Carl

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Steve Gardner

                one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
                love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
                my college radio days.

                Kevin

                On Saturday, June 5, 2004, at 09:41 PM, Carl Zimring wrote:

                > --On Saturday, June 5, 2004 8:55 PM -0400 Steve Gardner
                > <steve@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> "I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
                >> I got the Ronnie Ray-gun blues
                >> Lord I love to watch his neck skin
                >> Wiggle when he chews
                >> Lord, I got them Ronnie Ray-gun blues"
                >> -Translator
                >>
                >> Don't worry, I won't quote Carmaig DeForest, but you can all sing it
                >> in
                >> your heads.
                >>
                >> steve
                >
                > I had waited over a decade to do a show on Reagan's death, and the
                > bastard
                > outlived my tenure on the radio. But here's a list of songs
                > appropriate
                > for the week.
                >
                > Camper Van Beethoven: Sweethearts, Cowboys From Hollywood Carmaig de
                > Forest: Hey Judas (yes, my personal favorite)
                > Ramones: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
                > Shattered Faith: Reagan Country
                > Dead Kennedys: California Über Alles (In God We Trust, Inc. version)
                > Hasil Adkins: Reagan Blues
                > Minutemen: If Reagan Played Disco
                > Robyn Hitchcock: The President
                > Non Phixon: I Shot Reagan
                > A.P.P.L.E.: Impeach Reagan
                > D.O.A: Fucked Up Ronnie
                > D.R.I.: Reaganomics
                > Wasted Youth: Reagan's In
                > The Fartz: Battle Hymn of Ronald Reagan
                > D.I.: Reagan's Der Fuhrer
                > Prince: Ronnie Talk to Russia
                > Reagan Youth: Reagan Youth
                > Bruce Cockburn: People See Through You
                > R.E.M.: Ignoreland
                > NOFX: Reagan Sucks
                > Suicidal Tendencies: I Shot the Devil
                >
                > Carl

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Kevin J. Hosey
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 6 9:32 AM
                  Now that would be a radio show I would record, Carl. I am happily
                  surprised at how many of these songs I played way back when and how
                  many are still in my collection.
                  And thank you, Dave; I was about to search to see who did "(We Begin
                  Bombing in) Five Minutes." That one used to spook me every time I heard
                  Ronnie's voice.

                  Kevin

                  On Sunday, June 6, 2004, at 08:30 AM, Carl Zimring wrote:

                  > Good call, Kevin. Someone with a radio show really ought to do a
                  > special
                  > this week, though a few of the songs I listed would run into FCC
                  > issues.
                  >
                  > Carl Z.
                • Mock the DJ
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 6 10:15 PM
                    well,
                    it looks like you guys made my Mock for this Friday that much easier!!
                    Woohoo!
                    Get yer tapedecks ready

                    (of course, that depending if our webstream is back up and running by then).

                    And for all of those who missed the Chris Brokaw performance, don't
                    worry...so did I! (as we had some technical difficulties, and I didn't get
                    to play it). I may try to get it out there this Friday as well.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 7 6:14 AM
                      --On Monday, June 7, 2004 1:15 AM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                      wrote:

                      > well,
                      > it looks like you guys made my Mock for this Friday that much easier!!
                      > Woohoo!
                      > Get yer tapedecks ready
                      >
                      > (of course, that depending if our webstream is back up and running by
                      > then).

                      Not again!

                      If you want more serious songs, Paul, REM's "Flowers of Guatemala" is a
                      typically opaque critique of Reagan's Central America policy, and most of
                      Bruce Cockburn's 80s output is a critique of Reagan's foreign policy. Does
                      Billy Bragg have any Reagan songs? (And does Langford? Thatcher, sure...)

                      Carl Z.
                    • kjhosey@adelphia.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 7 6:27 AM
                        Thanks for jarring my mind, Carl; what about most of the Clash's "Sandinista?"

                        Kevin

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 7 6:28 AM
                          --On Monday, June 7, 2004 9:27 AM -0400 kjhosey@... wrote:

                          > Thanks for jarring my mind, Carl; what about most of the Clash's
                          > "Sandinista?"

                          Wasn't that recorded in the waning days of the Carter administration?

                          Carl Z.
                        • kjhosey@adelphia.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 7 6:32 AM
                            Carl,
                            yes, indeed, it was released at the end of the Carter Administration in 1980; my mistake.

                            Kevin

                            > From: Carl Zimring <cz28@...>
                            > Date: 2004/06/07 Mon AM 09:28:38 EDT
                            > To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: Re: RE: [fearnwhiskey] Ronnie Ray-gun
                            >

                            > --On Monday, June 7, 2004 9:27 AM -0400 kjhosey@... wrote:
                            >
                            > > Thanks for jarring my mind, Carl; what about most of the Clash's
                            > > "Sandinista?"
                            >
                            > Wasn't that recorded in the waning days of the Carter administration?
                            >
                            > Carl Z.
                          • Steve Gardner
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 7 6:37 AM
                              Does Billy Bragg have any Reagan songs? (And does Langford? Thatcher,
                              sure...)
                              =

                              Specifically about Reagan is "I Don't Need This Pressure Ron". It's a b-side
                              to an old single, but now it can be found on the Rhino b-sides CD called
                              Reaching to the Converted. Also the DC Remix of "Days Like These" which can
                              be found on the Help Save the Youth of America EP.

                              Other songs that are certainly Reagan influence, but they don't specifically
                              mention him, such as "Help Save the Youth of America" and "Think Again".

                              steve, Billy Bragg freak

                              DAYS LIKE THESE (D.C. REMIX)

                              It's morning in America and you can be your best
                              If you have a valid credit card and can pass a urine test
                              It's midnight in El Salvador, they're spending dollars in your name
                              And it's no bloody consolation that Reagan can not run again

                              They'll trade with the Ayatollah if they can't convince Congress
                              The only type of patriot is an anti-communist
                              And I shake my head and wonder what would Joe McCarthy say
                              If he could walk through downtown Washington DC today

                              The CIA on campus are taking down some names
                              Inviting folks to join them in their coke and dagger games
                              And does it ever prick your conscience, as "We are the world" you sing
                              When you know today we're so far away from the dreams of Martin Luther King

                              The Brotherhood Of The Elephant and the Party Of The Ass
                              Are desperate for contestants to take part in the farce
                              And selling democracy down the tubes with the ad man's expertise
                              The majority by their silence will pay for days like these

                              Peace, bread, work and freedom are the best we can achieve
                              And wearing badges is not enough in days like these

                              Words & Music : Billy Bragg
                            • David Atteberry
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 7 9:03 AM
                                I think Rain Like the Sound of Trains has a few Reagan songs on it. Specifically I'm thinking of School and What I Want.

                                David

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              • Kathleen Loebig
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 7 10:29 AM
                                  Burma closed their raging 2 hour set with "Class War"
                                  Saturday night as a nod to his "legacy"...

                                  > Good call, Kevin. Someone with a radio show really ought to do a special
                                  > this week, though a few of the songs I listed would run into FCC issues.
                                  >
                                  > Carl Z.
                                  >
                                  > --On Sunday, June 6, 2004 2:46 AM -0400 "Kevin J. Hosey"
                                  > <kjhosey@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Carl,
                                  > > one of my all-time favorites is Gil Scott-Heron's "Re-Ron." I used to
                                  > > love playing that leading up to and even after the 1984 election during
                                  > > my college radio days.
                                  > >
                                  > > Kevin
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  ~~Opera is like sex: the more you get the more you want- David Parry~~

                                  From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

                                  Powered by Outblaze
                                • Susan McTigue
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 7 10:09 PM
                                    Carl:

                                    > waited over a decade to do a show on Reagan's death

                                    There's also Van Dyke Parks' album "Tokyo Rose" with the song
                                    "Trade War"

                                    Trade war!
                                    Thanks to our man Ronald Reagan
                                    He is gone and we are begging
                                    For just the interest on the loan
                                    And calamity unknown
                                    etc.

                                    Susan
                                  • Barry Mazor
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 8 7:05 AM
                                      This, uh, alt.remembrance reminds us that Talking Heads' "The Road to
                                      Nowhere" may be the ultimate Reagan song..

                                      http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0423/carson.php
                                    • kjhosey@adelphia.net
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 8 9:21 AM
                                        Talk about surreal; I just finished reading Tom Carson's column while listening to/hearing Rush Limbaugh go on and on and on about the "hatred" he has heard "liberal" commentators use toward Reagan after three days of peace over his record/actions.
                                        This is a serious example of divergent views of America or divergent Americas.
                                        FYI, I now work in the Democratic majority office of the Erie County Legislature; some people here like knowing their enemy, some are outraged but entertained. I am sickened and know this blowhard way too well.

                                        Kevin

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 8 2:08 PM
                                          I knew this week would be hard to take, but this is too much.

                                          http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040608/ap_on_go_co/reagan_us_money_1

                                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT