Chirs Brokaw live on WRCT

  • Mock the DJ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
      Chris Brokaw stopped by WRCT earlier this week for a chat and to play a few
      tunes live. So, why not debut this performance on my show tonight at 10:00
      p.m.!

      If you don't know who Chris is, here's a list of bands he's either currently
      in, or been in:

      Codeine, Come, The New Year, Pullman

      here's a small list of bands he's played with (as a guest):
      Karate, Evan Dando, Steve Wynn, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Cobra Verde

      Great guy, plus, I had him play an acoustic version of Steve Wynn's
      "Drizzle"...the song he covers on the new Steve Wynn Tribute album! WHAT?
      THERE'S A NEW STEVE WYNN TRIBUTE RECORD?? I don't think it's been discussed
      here, but Chris was telling me about it. It's available through Blue Rose
      (Germany).

      Please tune in tonight, if you get a chance.

      Thanks,
      Paul

      www.wrct.org
      www.chrisbrokaw.com
      www.bluerose-records.de

      Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up � now 3 months FREE!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
        --On Friday, June 4, 2004 8:27 AM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
        wrote:

        > Chris Brokaw stopped by WRCT earlier this week for a chat and to play a
        > few tunes live.

        Jeez, wasn't he in town just a couple of months ago? What does he do on
        vacation, work?

        > Great guy, plus, I had him play an acoustic version of Steve Wynn's
        > "Drizzle"...the song he covers on the new Steve Wynn Tribute album!
        > WHAT? THERE'S A NEW STEVE WYNN TRIBUTE RECORD?? I don't think it's
        > been discussed here, but Chris was telling me about it. It's available
        > through Blue Rose (Germany).

        Any other details? I can hear that song done on acoustic guitar. (If
        anyone can find _Melting In the Dark_, the CD it came from, that's one of
        Wynn's best discs. Too bad it came out on Zero Hour.)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
          wrote:

          > If you don't know who Chris is, here's a list of bands he's either
          > currently in, or been in:
          >
          > Codeine, Come, The New Year, Pullman

          And Consonant, no?

          Carl "all about the Cs" Z.
        • Mock the DJ
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
            I wrote:
            > > Chris Brokaw stopped by WRCT earlier this week for a chat and to play a
            > > few tunes live.

            Carl replied:
            >Jeez, wasn't he in town just a couple of months ago? What does he do on
            >vacation, work?

            Well, he'll be back in town in July with The New Year. (That'll make at
            least 5 visits in the last 10 months.)

            I announced:

            > > THERE'S A NEW STEVE WYNN TRIBUTE RECORD?? I don't think it's
            > > been discussed here, but Chris was telling me about it. It's available
            > > through Blue Rose (Germany).

            Carl asked:

            >Any other details? I can hear that song done on acoustic guitar. (If
            >anyone can find _Melting In the Dark_, the CD it came from, that's one of
            >Wynn's best discs. Too bad it came out on Zero Hour.)

            Well, I do know that the album was compiled as a special gift to Steve on
            the 25th anniversary of his first recorded release (was it a Suspects or 15
            minutes 7"?) In fact, they threw a big party for this, and he knew nothing
            about this compilation until it was presented to him. I guess Blue Rose
            decided to pick it up. Impressive track listing (although there are a few
            names I see missing).

            From bluerose-records.de:
            To STEVE WYNN's 25th anniverary as a recording artist 28 friends and long
            time collaborateurs contributed a Wynn song for this tribute album. Steve
            Wynn himself had no idea about this project until the release party at the
            Lakeside Lounge in New York City on May 24, 2004.
            A certain amount of the profit of this album goes to the Bowery Mission, a
            shelter for the poor and homeless people in NYC.

            Tracks:
            Disc 1
            1. DAVE DECASTRO - Whatever You Please
            2. DEANNA VARAGONA EXPERIENCE - Grace
            3. DENNIS DUCK - Tears Won't Help
            4. CHRIS ECKMAN - Follow Me
            5. BRAD RICE - Younger
            6. CHRIS BROKAW - Drizzle
            7. JAAP BOOTS - Ik Reis Alleen (Now I Ride Alone)
            8. RICH HOPKINS & LUMINARIOS - That's What You Always Say
            9. PACO LOCO TRIO - Carelessly
            10. THE SILOS - Tell Me When It's Over
            11. SAM LAPIDES - Never Ending Rain
            12. PAT THOMAS - Until Lately
            13. CHRIS CACAVAS & THE SLIVERS OF HOPE - 500 Girl Mornings
            14. JOHN MUNSON - If My Life Was An Open Book

            Disc 2
            1. SID GRIFFIN % THE ALBANIANS - When She Comes Around
            2. ROBERT LLOYD - Some Kinda Itch
            3. GUTTERBALL - Morningside Heights
            4. TRANSMISSIONARY SIX - Lay Of The Land
            5. CONCRETE BLONDE - When You Smile
            6. SOMEBODY'S DARLING - Mask Of Shame
            7. KIRK SWAN - Here On Earth As Well
            8. JASON VICTOR - What We Call Love
            9. CHUCK PROPHET - Merritville
            10. RUSS TOLMAN - The Blue Drifter
            11. WILLARD GRANT CONSPIRACY - Silence Is Your Only Friend
            12. MINUS 5 - Waiting Like Mary
            13. THALIA ZEDEK - Burn
            14. LUC CRABBE & NATHALIE DUYVER (BETTY GOES GREEN) - Cats And Dogs

            Chris said the version on the tribute is nothing like what he played on the
            air. He said for the tribute he was going for a Missy Elliott approach to
            the song, taking much of the guitar out of it.

            This geek is going to have to order it to find out for himself!

            Paul

            Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up � now 3 months FREE!
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2004
              --On Friday, June 4, 2004 2:27 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
              clipped a cool note about the Wynn tribute CD that included:

              > 13. CHRIS CACAVAS & THE SLIVERS OF HOPE - 500 Girl Mornings

              That alone may be worth the purchase price. Quite a compilation, and I
              imagine that's quite a performance.

              Carl Z.
              Um....anyone here heard news on Steve Lacy today?