Re: [fearnwhiskey] Steve's playlist for WXDU 6/2/4

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
      > *Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio/Shame/Customs/Moneyshot
      > [Heck yeah! Joel is one of my favorite artists and he has a new
      > terrific album out! I just picked it up and already love it
      > from beginning to end. It includes a bonus disc, too, that is
      > really great.]

      Did you play the entire outro? That ending lasts forever!
      ===

      I did cut it off near the end. You know what is funny? I popped the CD in
      and thought to myself, I'll play any song except that one with the long
      outro because that might be a little much for 8 in the morning. But then I
      cued up the wrong song and ended playing it anyways. Ha. Oh well. Great
      song. Seeing them do this live was pretty intense.

      I was listening to the album again this morning (of course) and just am
      amazed at how immediately great it is. I mean, I fucking love it. I'm
      ecstatic. I guess I've finally found a record to knock Iron and Wine out of
      the top spot for my album of the year.

      >happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc

      Yep. And the other two covers (24 Hours by Joy Division and Flying Shoes by
      Townes Van Zandt) are great too.

      steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
        --On Thursday, June 3, 2004 9:56 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
        wrote:

        > I was listening to the album again this morning (of course) and just am
        > amazed at how immediately great it is. I mean, I fucking love it. I'm
        > ecstatic. I guess I've finally found a record to knock Iron and Wine out
        > of the top spot for my album of the year.

        I've heard a lot fewer discs this year than you have, but _Customs_ is
        safely at the top of the list. If I may make a request for next week,
        "Kelly Grand Forks" is probably my favorite song at the moment.

        >> happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc
        >
        > Yep. And the other two covers (24 Hours by Joy Division and Flying Shoes
        > by Townes Van Zandt) are great too.

        Yep. And that "what are you doing here, cowboy?" song just will not get
        out of my head.

        Carl Z.
        NP: uh, _Customs_
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
          I've heard a lot fewer discs this year than you have, but _Customs_ is
          safely at the top of the list. If I may make a request for next week,
          "Kelly Grand Forks" is probably my favorite song at the moment.
          ==
          Granted.

          >> happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc
          >
          > Yep. And the other two covers (24 Hours by Joy Division and Flying Shoes
          > by Townes Van Zandt) are great too.

          Yep. And that "what are you doing here, cowboy?" song just will not get
          out of my head.
          ===
          How about "Mother I'm Missing"? Now that's a weeper!

          steve
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
            --On Thursday, June 3, 2004 10:43 AM -0400 Steve Gardner
            <steve@...> wrote:

            > How about "Mother I'm Missing"? Now that's a weeper!

            Yeah, he's amassing quite the heart-wrenching musical family tree between
            that and "Now That You Are Found"...