Steve's playlist for WXDU 6/2/4

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
      Fun show today. Thanks especially to my guests Regina Hexaphone who dropped by the studio to play a few tracks from their brand new album, "The Beautiful World" which came out Tuesday.

      Here's the playlist....

      Steve Gardner
      www.clinkmagazine.com
      www.wxdu.org
      Wed: 7-9am
      WXDU Durham NC

      7AM
      ====
      *Black Heart Procession/Exit Out/Shanti Project Collection 3/Badman
      [A nice long instrumental from the fabulous Black Heart
      Procession to start out the morning's show.]
      *Sun Kil Moon/Pancho Villa/Ghosts of the Great Highway/Jetset
      *Lovers/The First Law of Thermodynamics/The Gutter and the
      Garden/Orange Twin
      *Juana Molina/Tres Cosas/Tres Cosas/Domino
      [Former Argentine TV star goes musical here with her new
      album of downbeat songwriter stuff.]

      *Modest Mouse/The Good Times Are Killing Me/Baron Von
      Bullshit Rides Again/Epic
      [Last week I incorrectly said that this live album was promo-
      only for radio. Actually, it is sold on Modest Mouse's website
      and at their live gigs. This was recorded in Florida in Feb of
      2004. This song comes from their new studio album, Good
      News For People Who Love Bad News.]
      *23 Skidoo/Coup/In The Beginning There Was Rhythm/Soul Jazz
      *Au Pairs/You/Rough Trade Shops Post Punk, Vol 1/Rough Trade

      *The Lost Generation/The Sly, Slick, and the Wicked/Can You
      Dig It? The 70s Soul Experience/Rhino
      [A nice sweet soul song giving advice to young ladies to
      steer clear of those sly, slick and wicked men.]
      *The Best Ever and Muhammad Ali/The People's Choice/Hits
      and Misses: Muhammad Ali & the Ultimate Sound of
      Fistfighting/Trikont
      [A multi-genre compilation of songs about Ali!]
      *Ratatat/17 Years/Ratatat/XL
      [My son's new favorite song!]
      *Blockhead/Triptych, Pt 3/Music by Cavelight/Ninja Tune
      *Passage/Scarefilm/The Forcefield Kids/Anticon

      *The Delgados/No Danger/The Great Eastern/Chemikal Underground

      8AM
      *Skeeter Davis/My Last Date (With You)/The Essential Skeeter
      Davis/RCA
      [I so swoon over the sugary sweetness of this sad soaring song.]
      *Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner/Better Move It On Home/The
      Essential Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton/RCA
      [This one was funky.]

      *Icarus/Essen/I Tweet The Birdy Electric/Leaf
      [This track did me wrong. Pee-you.]
      *Claude Francois/Eloise/Pop A Paris: Rock n Roll and Mini Skirts/
      Sunnyside
      [A french version of the song, Eloise? Sign me up! It cures all
      ills handed out by the previous track.]
      *Echo and the Bunnymen/Crocodiles/Crocodiles/Sire
      [An oldie, but a goodie.]
      *Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio/Shame/Customs/Moneyshot
      [Heck yeah! Joel is one of my favorite artists and he has a new
      terrific album out! I just picked it up and already love it
      from beginning to end. It includes a bonus disc, too, that is
      really great.]

      REGINA HEXAPHONE
      LIVE IN STUDIO

      *Regina Hexaphone/Ice/The Beautiful World/Erie
      *Live: I Hear A Rumor
      *Live: 40 Days
      *Regina Hexaphone/One Small Canoe/The Beautiful World/Erie

      *Erie Choir/Lullaby for Jon Grives/Erie Choir/Self
      [Local EP from Sorry About Dresden frontman. Solo acoustic.]
      *Honeychurch/Fields on Fire/Makes Me Feel Better/Siren
      *Iron and Wine/Sodom, South Georgia/Our Endless Numbered
      Days/Sub Pop
      *Shannon Wright/Portray/Over the Sun/Quarterstick

      I'd say it's about bedtime now. G'night.

      steve

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
        --On Thursday, June 3, 2004 1:05 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
        wrote:

        > *Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio/Shame/Customs/Moneyshot
        > [Heck yeah! Joel is one of my favorite artists and he has a new
        > terrific album out! I just picked it up and already love it
        > from beginning to end. It includes a bonus disc, too, that is
        > really great.]

        Did you play the entire outro? That ending lasts forever!

        Carl Z.
        happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
          > *Joel RL Phelps and the Downer Trio/Shame/Customs/Moneyshot
          > [Heck yeah! Joel is one of my favorite artists and he has a new
          > terrific album out! I just picked it up and already love it
          > from beginning to end. It includes a bonus disc, too, that is
          > really great.]

          Did you play the entire outro? That ending lasts forever!
          ===

          I did cut it off near the end. You know what is funny? I popped the CD in
          and thought to myself, I'll play any song except that one with the long
          outro because that might be a little much for 8 in the morning. But then I
          cued up the wrong song and ended playing it anyways. Ha. Oh well. Great
          song. Seeing them do this live was pretty intense.

          I was listening to the album again this morning (of course) and just am
          amazed at how immediately great it is. I mean, I fucking love it. I'm
          ecstatic. I guess I've finally found a record to knock Iron and Wine out of
          the top spot for my album of the year.

          >happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc

          Yep. And the other two covers (24 Hours by Joy Division and Flying Shoes by
          Townes Van Zandt) are great too.

          steve
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
            --On Thursday, June 3, 2004 9:56 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
            wrote:

            > I was listening to the album again this morning (of course) and just am
            > amazed at how immediately great it is. I mean, I fucking love it. I'm
            > ecstatic. I guess I've finally found a record to knock Iron and Wine out
            > of the top spot for my album of the year.

            I've heard a lot fewer discs this year than you have, but _Customs_ is
            safely at the top of the list. If I may make a request for next week,
            "Kelly Grand Forks" is probably my favorite song at the moment.

            >> happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc
            >
            > Yep. And the other two covers (24 Hours by Joy Division and Flying Shoes
            > by Townes Van Zandt) are great too.

            Yep. And that "what are you doing here, cowboy?" song just will not get
            out of my head.

            Carl Z.
            NP: uh, _Customs_
          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
              I've heard a lot fewer discs this year than you have, but _Customs_ is
              safely at the top of the list. If I may make a request for next week,
              "Kelly Grand Forks" is probably my favorite song at the moment.
              ==
              Granted.

              >> happy Joel's cover of "Pink Frost" is finally out on the bonus disc
              >
              > Yep. And the other two covers (24 Hours by Joy Division and Flying Shoes
              > by Townes Van Zandt) are great too.

              Yep. And that "what are you doing here, cowboy?" song just will not get
              out of my head.
              ===
              How about "Mother I'm Missing"? Now that's a weeper!

              steve
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
                --On Thursday, June 3, 2004 10:43 AM -0400 Steve Gardner
                <steve@...> wrote:

                > How about "Mother I'm Missing"? Now that's a weeper!

                Yeah, he's amassing quite the heart-wrenching musical family tree between
                that and "Now That You Are Found"...