Steve's WXDU Playlist for 5/26/4

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2004
      Hi all,

      Here is today's playlist. I'm loving the new format. It is amazing how quickly those two hours fly by.

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      www.wxdu.org
      www.clinkmagazine.com
      Wed 7-9am on WXDU Durham NC

      7AM
      *Magnetic Fields/I Thought You Were My Boyfriend/I/Nonesuch
      [From their new album.]
      *Erie Choir/Favorite Fotos/Bad Tsars Is A Drag/Self
      [New EP fromo Eric from Sorry About Dresden. Acoustic
      solo stuff.]
      *Honeychurch/Second Chance/Makes Me Feel Better/Siren

      *Buck Owens/Love Minus Zero-No Limit/Dylan Country/Shout
      [Country artists covering Dylan. This is mostly previously
      released recordings, but it's a pretty good listen.]
      *Calexico/Praskovia/Convict Pool/Touch and Go
      *Two Dollar Pistols/There Goes My Baby/Hands Up!/Yep Roc
      [New album.]
      *Loretta Lynn/Have Mercy/Van Lear Rose/Interscope
      [I'm still enjoying this album a whole lot.]
      *Dexter Romweber/I've Lost My Heart To You/Blues That Defy The
      Soul/Yep Roc
      [The new album from Dexter from the Flat Duo Jets.]

      *Robert Pete Williams/Church On Fire With The Word of God/
      Angola Prison Spirituals/Arhoolie
      [Blues music recorded at Angola prison in the 50s in
      Louisiana.]
      *The Fabulous Mark III/Psycho (Pts 1 & 2)/Texas Funk: Hard
      Texas Funk 1968-1975/Jazzman
      [Nice compilation of funk music from Texas.]
      *The Brogues/I Ain't No Miracle Worker/Nuggets Box/Rhino
      [Scott Miller covers this song on his first solo album. The
      Chocolate Watchband also covered this.]
      *The Flamin' Groovies/Shakin' All Over/Teenage Head/Buddha
      [A bonus track on the Shakin' All Over reissue. You may know
      this song from the Who, Live at Leeds.]
      *The Staple Singers/Uncloudy Day/Good News: The Collection/Demon
      [Dig that tremelo guitar.]
      *Spiritualized/Oh Happy Day/Royal Albert Hall Oct 10 1997 Live/Arista
      [Another oldtime spiritual, this time done with full rock
      band and choir by the spacey Spiritualized.]
      *Architecture In Helsinki/Fumble/Fingers Crossed/Bar-None

      8AM
      ====
      *Boyscout/Jesse James/School of Etiquette/Alive
      [All girl punk-pop band from San Francisco. This
      was the first I'd heard of them, but enjoyed this track
      quite a bit. It reminded me of....]
      *Adverts/Gary Gilmore's Eyes/Crossing the Red Sea With
      The Adverts/Bright
      [...this punk rock gem from the late 70s.]
      *James Chance/Sax Machine/Sax Education/Tiger Style
      [From the new compilation which includes a CD
      of studio tracks and a CD of live tracks. Post-punk
      and No-Wavers delight.]
      *Count Basie/Goin To Chicago Blues/The Essential Count
      Basie, Vol 1/Columbia
      [Jimmy Rushing on vox.]
      *Billie Holiday and Lester Young/He's Funny That Way/A Musical
      Romance/Columbia Legacy

      *Kinski/Semaphore (KEXP Version)/Shanti Project Collection 3/
      Badman
      [A psychedelic instrumental that explodes halfway through. The
      Black Heart Procession are also featured on this compilation
      among others.]
      *Mclusky/1956 And All That/The Difference Between Me and You
      Is That I'm Not On Fire/Too Pure
      [This new Mclusky album has the band sounding even more noisy
      and even more like Big Black/Steve Albini. My socks were rocked
      off on this cut.]
      *Modest Mouse/Never Ending Math Equation/Baron Von Bullshit
      Rides Again/Epic
      [Promo only live record, recorded in Florida in Feb.]

      *Gerald Collier/Pure Lonely/Breakin' Down/Isota
      *King David's Jug Band/What's That Tastes Like Gravy/Ruckus
      Juice and Chitlins: The Great Jug Bands/Yazoo
      *Montgomery Express/I'm Standing By/Does Party Fever And Other
      Songs/Ikef
      [70s soul music. New reissue. Darn good.]

      *George Jones/Don't Stop the Music/Cup of Loneliness/Mercury
      *Stanley Brothers/Feast Here Tonight/An Evening Long Ago/DMZ
      *16 Horsepower/Day of the Lords/Hoarse/Checkered Past
      [A cover of the Joy Division song. Recorded live.]
      *Bauhaus/Telegram Sam/In The Flat Field/4AD
      [A cover of the T Rex song.]

      *MC5/High School/The Big Bang!/Rhino
      [Sis, boom, bah!]
      *Young Heart Attack/Over and Over/Mouthful of Love/
      XL-Beggars
      [A cover of an MC5 song.]

      See ya next week. Tune in, Regina Hexaphone will be on the show around 8!

      steve