PLAYLIST: Fear & Whiskey 5/24/04

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2004
      Here's the playlist for Monday's episode of Fear & Whiskey. Fear & Whiskey
      is heard from 7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and <http://www.wrct.org>
      over the internet. This was my first radio show in almost a year, and
      while I have no plans on doing more radio, the Fear & Whiskey show
      continues under a collective. If you have a twangy CD that you think might
      warrant airplay, contact Jason at <underwaterculprit@...> or mail
      to: Fear & Whiskey, WRCT-fm, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes
      Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Twang plays forever at WRCT, help keep the
      station in good new music!

      On a personal note, I'd like to thank everyone who called in with nice
      things to say. It was good to be back on the air for a night, and good to
      know people enjoyed it.

      Carl

      ARTIST / TITLE
      henry threadgill / i can't wait till i get home

      jack logan / weren't gone long
      steve wynn / candy machine
      wolverton brothers / big west
      [by request from steve boyle.]
      loretta lynn / have mercy
      sonny sharrock / once upon a time
      [RIP Elvin Jones, whose drums are featured prominently on this song.]

      merle haggard & willie nelson / reno blues (philadelphia lawyer)
      paul kelly / pastures of plenty
      [A couple of woody guthrie covers.]
      jon langford / the fame of lofty deeds
      bill withers / i can't write left-handed
      peter jefferies / on an unknown beach
      karl hendricks trio / the night has no eyes

      richard & linda thompson / wall of death
      [I couldn't finda request for "has he got a friend for me"
      because the station's library was a bit disorganized, but hope this _Shoot
      Out the Lights_ track sufficed.]
      dave douglas / strange liberation

      fats waller / get some cash for your trash
      [I kicked off a set on environmental issues with a couple of songs about
      scrap.]
      nina simone / rags and old iron
      randy newman / burn on
      [A love letter to the major river in the general area where I shall move in
      a couple of months.]
      silkworm / dirty air
      deliberate strangers / daisy dukes
      [A song with a different kind of dirty content. But not so much to raise
      Michael Powell's ire. (Can anyone discern exactly what would raise
      Powell's ire?]
      jenny toomey / unionbusting
      [Maybe my favorite of her Franklin Bruno covers.]
      loren connors & alan licht / silent wound

      mission of burma / prepared
      joel phelps / at el paso
      tarnation / your thoughts and mine
      american music club / nightwatchman
      [AMC did an amazing version of this on their spring tour; with luck they'll
      do it in more cities after the new CD is released this fall.]
      tortoise / by dawn

      sue garner / nightfall
      victor krummenachar / all right
      richard buckner / believer
      ass ponys / last night it snowed
      [Since I'd seen over 260 inches of snow since my last time on the air, I
      had to play this song.]
      calexico / alone again or
      [Cover of the Love classic.]
      warren zevon / mohammed's radio
      [The live version from _Stand in the Fire_, one of my favorite live albums,
      and one that sorely needs a CD release one of these millenia.]
      mary janes / shooting star

      scenic / parisia