New Guy?

  • jwcurry
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
      Hey all, is this the new Jeff Lynne/ELO fan list? Gee, I sure
      hope so.....some nice folks directed me over hear.

      Ok, first question: Is Discovery really a bad ELO album?
      2nd question: Did Jeff ruin Dave Edmunds' career?

      Wow, I'm so excited to be here.

      SMIRK,
      JErry
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
        --On Thursday, August 8, 2002 2:51 PM +0000 jwcurry <jerrycurry@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey all, is this the new Jeff Lynne/ELO fan list?

        Uh oh, Jerry's here. Um, maybe Oranger/Flaming Lips, if yer into the
        massively produced pop?

        The only restriction on discussion of musical content on this list is No
        Talk About Journey. Oh wait, Journey's not musical...there is no
        restriction on discussion of musical content on this list.

        Carl Z.
      • Kathleen Loebig
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
          <BR>
          The only restriction on discussion of musical content on this list is No <BR>
          Talk About Journey.� Oh wait, Journey's not musical...there is no <BR>
          restriction on discussion of musical content on this list.<BR>
          <BR>
          Carl Z.<BR>

          OK --

          Journey
          Kansas
          Foreigner.

          KL
          Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

          Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/

          Powered by Outblaze
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
            --On Friday, August 9, 2002 12:26 AM +0800 Kathleen Loebig
            <missdiva@...> wrote:

            > OK --
            >
            > Journey
            > Kansas
            > Foreigner.

            You are a cruel, cruel woman Ms. L.

            Carl Z.
            NPIMH: Richard Thompson, "She Twists the Knife Again"
          • arsenault_marie
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
              > Wow, I'm so excited to be here.
              > SMIRK,
              > JErry

              There goes the neighborhood.

              marie
            • hellcat1995
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "arsenault_marie" <nashlist@b...>
                wrote:
                > > Wow, I'm so excited to be here.
                > > SMIRK,
                > > JErry
                >
                > There goes the neighborhood.

                But at least he's a snappy dresser.

                The New Girl
              • dpurcell99
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                  I believe all the ELO/Lynne questions are answered in the FAQ. (At
                  least that's what they told me when I asked about the Scorchers.)

                  Welcome...
                  Dave

                  Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/

                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jwcurry" <jerrycurry@a...> wrote:
                  > Hey all, is this the new Jeff Lynne/ELO fan list? Gee, I sure
                  > hope so.....some nice folks directed me over hear.
                  >
                  > Ok, first question: Is Discovery really a bad ELO album?
                  > 2nd question: Did Jeff ruin Dave Edmunds' career?
                  >
                  > Wow, I'm so excited to be here.
                  >
                  > SMIRK,
                  > JErry
                • arsenault_marie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                    > I believe all the ELO/Lynne questions are answered in the FAQ. (At
                    > least that's what they told me when I asked about the Scorchers.)

                    Do you suppose that's where I can find out what happened to the
                    last "Future of Alt-Country"?

                    marie
                  • wfsilvers
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                      > > I believe all the ELO/Lynne questions are answered in the FAQ. (At
                      > > least that's what they told me when I asked about the Scorchers.)
                      >
                      > Do you suppose that's where I can find out what happened to the
                      > last "Future of Alt-Country"?
                      >
                      > marie

                      I thought you got the answer when you saw Marah at SXSW.

                      b.s.
                    • hellcat1995
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "dpurcell99" <newport@o...> wrote:
                        > I believe all the ELO/Lynne questions are answered in the FAQ.
                        (At
                        > least that's what they told me when I asked about the
                        Scorchers.)

                        Heh. Hey Dave, what do you think of Jason's new solo disc? Or
                        have we already talked about that?

                        Deborah, day late dollar short
                      • dpurcell99
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                          Marie wrote:

                          > Do you suppose that's where I can find out what happened to the
                          > last "Future of Alt-Country"?

                          I believe there are, indeed, entries for Marah, Ryan Adams, and Buddy
                          Woodward & The Nitro Express...

                          Dave

                          Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/
                        • arsenault_marie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                            > I thought you got the answer
                            >when you saw Marah at SXSW.

                            Yeah. Please don't remind me. I still can't figure out what they were
                            trying to do on that stage.

                            Now, Bobby Bare, he was amazing at that same show. Maybe....nah.

                            marie
                          • dpurcell99
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                              Deborah wrote:

                              > Hey Dave, what do you think of Jason's new solo disc?

                              I dig it. I'm not as gonzo about it as I was classic J&TS (go
                              figure), but it's a fun record. I liked "A Pocketful of Soul" quite a
                              bit, but I'm glad to hear him do some more rocked up stuff (without
                              trying to imitate the Scorchers). It's a nice balance of soft and
                              loud and the new take (w/ new lyrics) of "Bible & A Gun" is
                              especially great.

                              It's fun to hear the Wildhearts on there -- a local record store guy
                              who's a huge fan turned me on to them and was beside himself when
                              Jason came thru town, because he'd heard they were going to record
                              together. Classic "High Fidelity" moment.

                              And you?

                              Dave

                              Pike 27: http://www.pike27.net/
                            • arsenault_marie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                                > Heh. Hey Dave, what do you think of Jason's new solo disc? Or
                                > have we already talked about that?

                                Check the archives, Deb. <g> I posted a short review of Jason's
                                record release party here in Nashville on Sunday or Monday.

                                marie
                              • hellcat1995
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "dpurcell99" <newport@o...> wrote:
                                  > It's a nice balance of soft and
                                  > loud and the new take (w/ new lyrics) of "Bible & A Gun" is
                                  > especially great.
                                  >
                                  > It's fun to hear the Wildhearts on there -- a local record store
                                  guy
                                  > who's a huge fan turned me on to them and was beside
                                  himself when
                                  > Jason came thru town, because he'd heard they were going to
                                  record
                                  > together. Classic "High Fidelity" moment.
                                  >
                                  > And you?

                                  I haven't heard it, and I think Don must not have put it in rotation,
                                  because I haven't heard it on KEXP either. Same with Pocketful
                                  of Soul. I'm gonna have to break down and buy both of them.
                                  Along with the other 8 zillion records on that
                                  need-to-buy-someday list.

                                  Deborah, who doesn't have time to play the CDs I have, and I
                                  have some damn good ones<g>!
                                • Jyl Freed
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                                    Hey, I don't know the answers to your questions, Jerry, what do
                                    you think? (Haven't heard Discovery since high school), .....but...

                                    Has anyone here heard that ELO tribute cd yet? And if so, what do
                                    you think of it, cuz I might just buy it if it gets any kind of thumbs up.
                                    I'm serious.

                                    Welcome Jerry & Hellcat

                                    Jyl, who gets a big kick out of Kathleen L.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 9, 2002
                                      Take a look at www.notlame.com, they may have sound samples of it.
                                      I've heard nothing but good things about this tribute. Plus, my dear
                                      friend Walter Clevenger is on it.

                                      I really only buy about 1 new CD (or less) a month these days,
                                      thank goodness for EMusic so, I haven't bought it.

                                      Jerry