RIP Studio One founder Coxsone Dodd

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 5:46 AM
      http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20040505/lead/lead2.html

      Ja's musical giant, Coxsone Dodd, dies
      published: Wednesday | May 5, 2004

      By Claude Mills, Staff Reporter

      LEGENDARY MUSIC pioneer and founder of Studio One, Sir Clement 'Coxsone'
      Dodd, died yesterday from heart complications, it is believed. Dodd, 72,
      is survived by his wife and six children.

      Close friend Bunny Goodison admitted to being in shock upon hearing the
      news of Dodd's passing.

      "I left him there at Brentford Road at midday, he wasn't complaining of
      chest pains or anything, then someone just called me at 4:30 p.m. to tell
      me he was dead. Apparently, he had complained of feeling pains in his
      chest, and while they were driving him to Medical Associates, he died," Mr.
      Goodison said.

      "Earlier in the day, he wasn't in such good spirits but he was calm, lucid
      and he didn't appear to be sick. On Friday night, after they changed the
      name of the street to Studio One Boulevard, we were there toasting and
      laughing, but he was extremely quiet during the whole occasion... I don't
      know if he was overwhelmed by the whole thing," Mr. Goodison added.

      He continued: "At least he lived to receive the various accolades for his
      exceptional body of work, which will live forever. He was truly a great
      man."

      Last Friday, Brentford Road was renamed Studio One Boulevard in a ceremony
      which paid tribute to the accomplishments of the producer. Sadly, less than
      a week later, the nation now mourns his death.

      Yesterday, Aloun N'dombet Assamba, Minister of Industry and Tourism with
      responsibility for Entertainment, joined with the entire music fraternity
      of Jamaica in grieving at the passing of the man who has been described as
      a 'pioneering giant' of Jamaica's music industry.

      "'Sir Coxsone' as he was known to all, was indeed the father of popular
      entertainment in Jamaica. For decades, the development of modern Jamaican
      music and the unearthing of new talent rested on his shoulders as he did
      his utmost to nurture an industry that has now become a powerful force
      internationally," the Minister said.

      "We can be grateful that Clement Dodd lived to see Brentford Road recently
      renamed ? Studio One Boulevard ? as a lasting tribute to his outstanding
      contribution to the nation."

      Singer Ken Booth, with whom Dodd had well-publicised differences over
      royalties for several songs such as 'The Train Is Coming Baby' appeared to
      be deeply saddened by the loss.

      "What a loss! This is a great loss, I know Coxsone and I had our
      differences, but it is sad to see him go like this. This is a sad day for
      me and my family," Mr. Boothe said.

      Derrick Harriott, with whom Dodd scored a number one hit in 1961, 'Over the
      River' had fond memories of the producer.

      "He was a jovial man, he will be sadly missed. It is a shock to the entire
      music fraternity that he went so suddenly," Mr. Harriott said.

      Mr. Dodd played an instrumental role in the development of Jamaican music
      firstly through his sound system (Downbeat) in the 1950s, and later by
      being one of the first producers to start recording Jamaican music.

      The founder of Studio One located at 13 Brentford Road had been involved
      with music since his stint as a migrant labourer, when he used to import
      records to be played in his sound system. Earning the Jamaica Order of
      Distinction in 1991, Dodd has produced artistes such as Bob Marley, Marcia
      Griffiths, Bob Andy, Peter Tosh, Delroy Wilson, Paragons, Culture, Alton
      Ellis, along with numerous others.

      In August 2002, Dodd was given a special award, marking Jamaica's 40th year
      of Independence, for his contribution to Jamaican music. He also received a
      gold Musgrave medal for his contribution to music in 2002.